+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie CCR Hesitations

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Newbie CCR Hesitations

Personally I'm glad I stayed away from a breather for as long as I did. It gave me a chance to get used to the basics of diving, get an appreciation for the risks involved and a level of automation in my diving that made the course and diving a breather a lot less stressful than if I'd gone straight in.

It also made things highly entertaining for the first 25 dives or so as I went from masterful instructor level buoyancy control and trim back to utter, utter numpty n00b as I got used to the fact that my lungs were no longer an effective BCD.

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by sddiver  View Original Post
    Open circuit systems just don't compare to the abilities you get with CCR. If you're going tech don't waist your time with open circuit.

Shane Thompson
    advancedunderwater.com
    If you aren't just as comfortable on OC at a particular depth or penetration point...then keep in mind that when you do finally have a CC failure, you are going to bail to a more anxiety producing system...

OC is the final common pathway....don't shortcut experience on OC before CC

Personally, I prefer not to dive with CC zero-to-full whatever types without OC experience... you can't depend on them doing smart things when it goes sideways.

CC without OC time is like tying a noose around your neck and stating all is well because you brought a safety line.

-Richard

(I am actually not trying to be mean...just think it really is that important...)

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

To answer the original poster's questions...I'll back up Capt Starfish.... Know your pO2, when in doubt, bail...and be paranoid (I am a long time checklist guy).

Personally, I have used the Meg, Kiss, and Revo (as well as others). I went Meg due to the testing and track record amongst friends... It is forgiving of a lot of new RB sins...but easy to use and breaths great in all positions. The REVO is easy to learn on, but doesn't have the flood recoverability I require for my environment (primarily cave these days). The Meg's only downside is that chest mounted CLs do make that area busy for new divers. As an engineer, you might enjoy reading the NEDU report on the Mark 28 (essentially a Meg with an AL handset and head) or looking over their site and videos.

Truthfully, you won't go wrong with a Meg or Revo as a first unit...both are used in expedition diving. The JJ looks great, but I don't have time on it, so I can't speak to it. The KISS opened up the market, but I never was crazy about the WOB on the unit...but, it too is used in expedition diving and has a good safety record.

Only comment I would make...if you go REVO, avoid the REVO Dream handsets on used units...we refer to them as the REVO nightmare (not intuitive, and the Shearwater upgrade is very much so...)

-Richard
    Last edited by Lab Rat; 27th February 2016 at 03:07. Reason: Spelling

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2