+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 15 hour review of my rEvo

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

15 hour review of my rEvo

I thought I would post a review of my new rEvo now that I am done training and have 15-20 hours on it.

First a little about me. I was an OC Trimix diver who primarily dives in the NE Atlantic and almost exclusively on shipwrecks. I own a dive boat and in the Summer, Fall and Spring months we try to run as much as possible. The time for fills, changes in destination due to weather conditions, the discovery of more wrecks lying in deeper waters, and the significant increase in local CCR diving and what seemed to be (at least locally) and increase in safety over the last few years all influenced my decision to want to move to CCR.

I spent (2) years quietly reading and investigating different rebreathers. Locally we have access to some great instructors on the different units.

I went to BTS last year and snuck around trying to look at everything I could. The "sneak around" part was mostly an attempt to look without friends, colleagues, etc all influencing my decision.

OK - So fast forward and I chose a rEvo for a number of reasons but that being said - I could have easily gone with a JJCCR which I liked a lot. I also liked the Meg but ultimately went with the rEvo. I wont go into the specific reasons now.

SO....after the first 15-20 hours. What do I think?

I love it. It took 5 hours to get used to buoyancy but after that, I think buoyancy on CCR is significantly easier than on OC. I know that is subjective but thats my take on it.

The rEvo is EASY to build, easy to clean (lungs) and disinfect and dries out great. The checklist is easy to follow and logical in its process.

I was on the fence about whether to buy RMS. Ive read about the problems and failures but Matt Marcoux walked me through a series of advantages besides just more efficient use of the scrubber and I bought it.

So far - Im very happy I bought it. The data it gives makes me feel a lot more comfortable about what is going on in my scrubber without just using a timed cycle. Since I do not have a CO2 sensor available on the rEvo - this, if nothing else, gives me a bit of a warm and fuzzy feeling about what is happening with additional information.

The unit fits great and feels great. I went with a mini. Its perfect. Lung volume is perfect.

9v batteries seem to go pretty quick. Even flying it with the solenoid as a parachute. Nothing overly concerning, its not "rifling" through them making me think that there is a circuit problem, but they do need to be replaced pretty often.

Paul, Pieter and everyone at rEvo are Awesome. I know some of the guys on these online forums have had little spats with Paul over the years, Ive read them. That being said - his communication during my decision process was awesome. Answered questions and either he or Pieter were johnny on the spot with every request. That type of follow up and involvement makes me feel that I bought from the right company.

WOB has been great. I usually dove OC in a flat trimmed out position and I have adjusted to being slightly head up. Nothing significant but in watching video of myself it seems that I did it subconsciously at first as that is where the WOB is even better. In all but completely head down/feet up position, the rEvo seems to breath very good.

The NERD is absolutely awesome. Its expensive but I think it was worth every penny. I still look at my gauges like an OC guy (lol) and I still look at my controller on my wrist every minute....but having all that data right in front of my face while ascending, descending, etc.....is awesome. I know that a series of blinking lights has worked for many people for a long time but I predict information like that on a HUD like the nerd will become the standard over the next 5-10 years. It just makes sense.

The bracket mounting options on the rEvo have proven very useful. The side and bottom brackets make getting a configuration that any diver feels good about, easy.

I have 90% of my gear where I like it. I still haven't found a permanent location for my Can light, but Im working on it. Also - I dont love where my gauges are but I have a plan for that as well. As soon as I break the OC habit of gauge watching, I plan to move them to a "still accessible but out of the way" location.

I added a DSIX stand (new one) and that also is awesome. I know rEvo came out with the butt plate and I considered it but the stand makes getting dressed easier and provides a slew of mounting locations for us NE wreck divers who carry to much crap down to the project. It also makes a perfect rear mounting location for side mount.

The back cover already looks like its been through a war zone. Whatever poly or plastic that this is made of gets beat up - I need to order a cover quickly.

No problem at all reaching valves. Easy to get to.

The few dives where I dove it electronically and let the unit control the set point, it held rock solid the whole time.

Training with Matt Marcoux was great. He was very accommodating with trying to coordinate with our group. We came out of the class feeling prepared to practice and that we had a great understanding of the unit and its procedures.

So far I love my rEvo and CCR diving in general. Im happy with the choice I made and cant want until the 30" of snow is gone and I can get the boat out for another dive.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Re: 15 hour review of my rEvo

Nice write Up. Have fun !
    Greetings,
    David

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member cesare is an unknown quantity at this point cesare's Avatar
    revo III mini

your boat is in the picture?

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cesare  View Original Post
    your boat is in the picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VcYQxAAahg

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    Also - I dont love where my gauges are but I have a plan for that as well. As soon as I break the OC habit of gauge watching, I plan to move them to a "still accessible but out of the way" location.
    One of the first mod I made to my unit was attaching the gauges/dreams to my scooter ring with small retractable clips. The hoses go along my body, behind my arms, and the gauges are easily brought up in front of my eyes if I need it, which is never. The rest of the time (i.e. always), they are out of the way.

RBW Member Danseur is an unknown quantity at this point Danseur's Avatar

Very nice write-up.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread