+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Welly's or rock boots?

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Welly's or rock boots?

Evening all.

Before the start of the new season my Otter Britannic will be going back to have some new boots fitted but this leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, do I replace the traditional welly boots or go for neoprene socks and rock books?

The nice chaps at Otter say it's a personal choice as the cost is negligible, although they do see a higher number of repairs needed to the socks. So what's your views?

DD

RBW Member OutOfTest is an unknown quantity at this point OutOfTest's Avatar
    None

Re: Welly's or rock boots?

Socks socks socks.

Had mine for a few thousand dives. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen will become famous soon enough aaen's Avatar
    Copis MEG

rEvo

Definitely socks, unless you have the choice of turbo sole type foot (santi and bare have the two best). I just installed bares on my santi! Could not be happier.

Regards

Steve

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by deepdave  View Original Post
    Evening all.

Before the start of the new season my Otter Britannic will be going back to have some new boots fitted but this leaves me with a bit of a dilemma, do I replace the traditional welly boots or go for neoprene socks and rock books?

The nice chaps at Otter say it's a personal choice as the cost is negligible, although they do see a higher number of repairs needed to the socks. So what's your views?

DD

I have an Otter Britannic & a MK2 Britannic, first Otter has the socks ( Now ) MK2 has the wellies, I asked about it and was told a few things for both, My thoughts, the socks are Fanastic for when you want to Dry it out from the inside, but the wellies, you don't have to watch were you are standing.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Have had several suits, some sox, some attached boots. As much as anything, depends on whether you mostly dive from boats or from shore. IMHO if chiefly a boat diver, having boots attached to suit saves an extra step in already lengthy suit up for dive. Rock boots are called rock boots 'cause they're significantly tougher and have better traction than most typical attached boots and will stand up to repeated dives from a rocky shore.

My current suit (DUI CF200) came w/ sox and a pair of rock boots. Very much wish I'd opted for attached boots. Used the boots 2 or 3 times and went out and bought a pair of size 15 wetsuit boots for boat diving.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Skipbreather  View Original Post
    Have had several suits, some sox, some attached boots. As much as anything, depends on whether you mostly dive from boats or from shore. IMHO if chiefly a boat diver, having boots attached to suit saves an extra step in already lengthy suit up for dive. Rock boots are called rock boots 'cause they're significantly tougher and have better traction than most typical attached boots and will stand up to repeated dives from a rocky shore.

My current suit (DUI CF200) came w/ sox and a pair of rock boots. Very much wish I'd opted for attached boots. Used the boots 2 or 3 times and went out and bought a pair of size 15 wetsuit boots for boat diving.
    I agree with Ken. DUI rock boots suuuck. Bulky and extremely poor quality. I had to replace mine after 1 boat trip (they have these crappy nylon eyelets instead of holes and these things pull out easily- they are made in China, NOT the U.S.A.).

One other issue is that they are so big and bulky, you'll need new HEAVY fins. I much prefer using converse hightops or as Ken mentions, a size or two up from my normal size in neoprene booties over the socks.

I can't say anything about the quality of other manufacturers but I'd surely stay away from DUI... over priced, spotty quality.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I find trying to put on and do up the laces on my rock boots to be the hardest most vomit inducing thing to do when the boat is rocking & roleing

I also find my DUI 50 50 Neo socks crumple up inside the boot and give me blisters when doing long sesions of finning. Thers a stitched seem on the top which rips the skin of my second toe so I have to go in all plastered up to avoid this

For boat diveing the socks are fine but they are easy to dammage when kitting up shore / cave diveing

I find my socks a pig to get off post dive

Rock boots are easy to leave at home by mistake

They also change the foot pocket size you need for diveing so my one forced me to spend out another £100 on new fins

Maybe I was just lucky, but my 03 built in boots were great and the Otter I had before that were also great. I now have a Hammond Ultrlight with rock boots and a DUI 50 50 with rock boots and I regret going down that path. That said if I were doing a lot of shore diveing or cave diveing I'd put up with rock boots.

ATB

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I have a fusion, so socks and evo rock boots. Fit great, good dexterity, awesome feel. No issues what so ever. But I do wear thick socks and neoprene socks as well.

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

My first 2 sets of Rock Boots quickly deteriorated, the 2nd within ~30 freshwater dives. I set them aside to take to DEMA and had to find a short term alternative. I tried numerous Converse hightops but the socks on my DUI suit bunched a little too much no matter how I tried to manipulate the excess.

At DEMA ('14), Janet from DUI was quick to respond to my issue and told me to ship them back with the suit and they would turn around another set with my suit going in for minor repairs. I was hesitant using another set of Rock boots but these have so far outlasted the previous 2 combined. The sole and eyelets are different so maybe the issue has been resolved. The same fins have been used on all 3, so that variable can be ruled out.

Having said that, I agree that lacing the boots on a rolling boat is not conducive to enjoyment. I'd like to find a set of wetsuit boots that will fit over the socks for boat diving, but nothing so far.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Quote Originally Posted by TopLeft  View Original Post
    I'd like to find a set of wetsuit boots that will fit over the socks for boat diving, but nothing so far.
    I just took suit to LDS, put on heavy sox, put on legs of suit, and tried on wet suit boots until I found a good fit. In my case I wound up going up 3 sizes, from 12 to 15. Now on rolling boat just slip 'em on, quik zip, done. Due to extra layer of neoprene, should be a touch warmer, but couldn't prove it by my experience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast