+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Underwater Echo CCR Research Project - Derek Covington

www.AddHelium.com Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium has a spectacular aura about Add Helium's Avatar

Underwater Echo CCR Research Project - Derek Covington

Hello all,

For those interested, Derek Covington is looking for participants in an upcoming study. Please see his email below:

My name is Derek Covington. I am an anesthesiologist and an avid SCUBA diver. Currently, I am pursuing a fellowship specializing in undersea and hyperbaric medicine at the University of California - San Diego (UCSD). In addition to clinical activities related to diving, I am also involved with diving medicine research.

Recently, Dr. Claudio Marabotti and his colleagues in Italy published an article detailing an experiment that utilized an ingenious underwater echocardiographic setup to examine the real-time effects of immersion and open-circuit SCUBA equipment on the heart. They found that divers demonstrated diastolic dysfunction (or impaired relaxation of the heart in between beats) not only during immersion, but also, quite interestingly, after the dive. The article is entitled "Cardiovascular changes during SCUBA diving: an underwater Doppler echocardiographic study" and is published in the journal Acta Physiologica.

As I am a technical and closed circuit rebreather (CCR) diver, I contacted Dr. Marabotti to see if he would like to tailor two similar experiments involving different breathing gases (enriched air nitrox/trimix) and another using CCRs. Fortunately, he agreed. As a result, we are scheduled to perform these studies early next year in Montegrotto, Italy. In addition to using the awesome underwater echocardiographic setup, we will be performing these research projects at Y40, which is the deepest pool in the world. Did I mention the water temperature hovers at a lovely 34C? I have included a few pictures of this impressive facility.

So, we are looking for both open circuit and CCR divers who would like to participate in this study. If you are interested, please contact myself (Derek Covington - dcovington@ucsd.edu) or Dr. Claudio Marabotti (c.marabotti@gmail.com). We will then send you additional information regarding the study as well as the consent. We are scheduled to complete the open circuit portion of the study on Monday, February 29, 2016 and the CCR portion of the study on Monday, March 7, 2016.

Thank you for your time and interest. Happy holidays, and happy diving!
    Last edited by Add Helium; 23rd December 2015 at 15:12.
    www.AddHelium.com

RBW Member derekcov is an unknown quantity at this point derekcov's Avatar
    KISS Spirit, rEvo

Re: Underwater Echo CCR Research Project - Derek Covington

Thank you for posting Claudia!

Here is additional contact information for anyone interested.

Cheers,
    Derek

Derek B. Covington, M.D.
    Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Fellow
    University of California - San Diego (UCSD)
    200 W. Arbor Drive, MC 8676
    San Diego, CA 92103
    E: dcovington@ucsd.edu
    C: 305-301-9115

RBW Member Fldvr is an unknown quantity at this point Fldvr's Avatar

Wow Derek! Good luck and best wishes on this project. We miss you here in South Fl.!!
    Henry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KISS Spirit, rEvo

Hey Henry! Thanks for the message. I definitely miss the warm FL water.

I hear Italy also has some excellent roads for motorcycle enthusiasts... See you in March? ;)

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Derek gave me these pics from Y-40. Best to check it out in person!!!!

Y40 Picture 3.jpgY40 Picture 2.jpgY40 Picture 1.jpg

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by derekcov  View Original Post
    Hey Henry! Thanks for the message. I definitely miss the warm FL water.

I hear Italy also has some excellent roads for motorcycle enthusiasts... See you in March? ;)
    Derek, maybe if we can get it organised, we could come down with a bunch of rEvo divers..?
    best to contact over mail and see what can be done
    paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

KISS Spirit, rEvo

Claudia, thank you for posting the pictures.

Paul, that sounds great! I'll be in touch soon.

Derek

KISS Spirit, rEvo

Thank you everyone for the wonderful response! I have heard from numerous people throughout the world.

And, please contact me if you are interested in becoming involved. We can accommodate a few additional divers.

Cheers,
    Derek

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Hello Derek,

I was literally just thinking about your project! Hope that you get more people to sign up!

RBW Member Marco Fonti is an unknown quantity at this point Marco Fonti's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic

Drager Ray

I Derek,
    I live not far from Y40 and usually once a year I go together with my dive club. I will go there also next Sunday.
    I'm also in contact with a rEvo Instructor, Marco Scaccabarozzi. I just gave him my availability and I repeat with you now.
    Just send me a PM or by Scaccabarozzi if you wanna put in the Team.

Bye

Marco Fonti