+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sidemount bailout...which tanks to keep

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Sidemount bailout...which tanks to keep

Im part way through my training on CCR and starting to take inventory on what to keep and what to sell. I have a lot of gear from my OC diving and wondering what to sell and what I can find a suitable use for over the next few years as i train to get back to the deeper dives we have been doing on OC. I know a few of my tanks are better off being sold but Im wondering if I should keep a few of my doubles tanks and if they should be split up and used as sidemount bailout tanks?

Obviously all of my Al 80s and Al 40s are being kept( Old deco tanks) Thats a no brainer. Im 99% sure Im selling my lp95s as I cant imaging they would sit well at all since they are short and fat. Im 90% sure Im selling my two sets of HP 130s (3442 tanks) as these are heavy and once again, being 8" tanks I dont think they would sit well.

The other sets I am not as sure about. I have a set of PST 100s (3500 tanks) and 2 sets of PST 120s (3500 tanks). These tanks are 7.25 tanks and theoretically may sidemount in an acceptable way.

Seems like the 100s have very similar characteristics to the steel 85s that I have read work well for sidemounting. That being said - the question is, has anyone used these for sidemount and do they sit well?

What about the 120s? Worth keeping???

We have a pretty popular NJ Scuba flea market in February and Im starting to gather all the items that are not worth keeping so I can get rid of them.

Before anyone chimes in - Its not worth me keeping any of these doubles as bank tanks as Im fortunate enough to have a large bank of 4500 psi, 450 cu Ft tanks and a compressor. The doubles that have no use to me as actual dive tanks are all being sold.....with the exception of whatever set Im stuck with last. Ill keep those as well as my backplate and wing for the rare OC dive.

And for the record - if its the better move, Im not against selling all these tanks and getting more AL80s or Steel 85s.....
    Last edited by manni-yunk; 29th November 2015 at 22:58.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Sidemount bailout...which tanks to keep

Since the rEvo you are training on is heavy to begin with, sell all the steels. Use the AL80's and AL40's for your BO tanks.

If you intend to do something really special, like make your rEvo detachable from your harness to stage it, then keep the Steel 85's cause you will need the weight in that case.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Since the rEvo you are training on is heavy to begin with, sell all the steels. Use the AL80's and AL40's for your BO tanks.

If you intend to do something really special, like make your rEvo detachable from your harness to stage it, then keep the Steel 85's cause you will need the weight in that case.

Thank You for the reply. I dont plan on doing anything special, other than some great dives that Ive been putting off, and I hope the rEvo stays attached to my harness at all times!!!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    Thank You for the reply. I dont plan on doing anything special, other than some great dives that Ive been putting off, and I hope the rEvo stays attached to my harness at all times!!!
    If you dive anything like me and find your arse really wedged into a crevice and stuck, you might wish it came off a bit easier than removing the entire harness.

check your PM for my phone number, give me a call when you can in regards to your stand.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

What DSix doesn't realize is that sometimes you need the weight of steels even with a heavy rebreather like a rEvo. It has a lot to do with body mass, and even more so with exposure protection and undergarments. Don can not afford any "shrinkage" and therefore will not dive in the conditions we do. Between my Weezle suit and bioprene, I needed steel bailouts AND lead on my rEvo. Steel bailouts would sink Don like the Titanic, despite having extra lift from his styrofoam gonads.

As we discussed, I think you should keep some steels until you have a lot more time on the rEvo at varying depths. The 120s will probably not make good bailouts, but an occasional OC dive is always a possibility if the RB needs service or the dive doesn't warrant its use.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

What DSix doesn't realize is that sometimes you need the weight of steels even with a heavy rebreather like a rEvo. It has a lot to do with body mass, and even more so with exposure protection and undergarments. Don can not afford any "shrinkage" and therefore will not dive in the conditions we do. Between my Weezle suit and bioprene, I needed steel bailouts AND lead on my rEvo. Steel bailouts would sink Don like the Titanic, despite having extra lift from his styrofoam gonads.

As we discussed, I think you should keep some steels until you have a lot more time on the rEvo at varying depths. The 120s will probably not make good bailouts, but an occasional OC dive is always a possibility if the RB needs service or the dive doesn't warrant its use.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Im going to sell the 130s and 95s, and slow roll the rest. If I can move them at a good number, great. Otherwise Ill hang onto a set or two so I can still dive in case I need to do an OC dive. I have so much to sell at the flea market this year Im trying to get it all together now.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I sold 9 sets of steel doubles and 12 AL80s.
    Kept 3 AL80s, 6 AL40s 6 2L argon tanks and bought a total of 8 3L Steel tanks for the rebreather. Back in October I did a week of TMX wreck diving in Croatia without having to have anything refilled.

Michael

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to keep. AL80s and AL40s for sure, the rest maybe wait a little bit like kwinter said.

Since you already have storage tanks for O2, Dil and compressor maybe sell off HP130s? I have a soft spot for PST HP100s and HP120s so I kept mine; I'll admit it's hard for me to sell off tanks or any scuba gear. My singles are PST HP120s and I kept two sets of PST HP 100s doubled up.

I kept some doubles around in the rare occasion I happen to dive OC. Beyond single tank diving, it actually hasn't happened yet since I've yet to miss a dive on my rEvo (not saying it will never happen).

Even though you have a compressor, I also found it easier to have several sets of rebreather tanks as you may find. I have 2 sets of 3L (HP23s) and one set of 2L (AL13s). I'm good pretty much for a couple weekends of recreational diving. I'm probably going to buy a 4th set soon. It's honestly great not to have to worry about filling tanks for 3-4 days of diving. Certainly makes logistics easier for me when I drive up to St Lawrence or down to North Carolina with 3 sets of rebreather bottles instead of 4 sets of doubles.

I dive a rEvo II Mini (stainless steel) with Dsix Aluminum stand. For me, it's very heavy unit. I'm basically a boat anchor in a 7mm full wetsuit. Super negative. In a drysuit (4th Element Artics with two thick base layers and long johns) in salt I ziptie 6-8lbs on top of units allowing me to run a comfortable volume of air in my drysuit if I choose. No weight needed for me fresh water but I keep 4lbs on top of unit for trim reasons.

Not a lot of people I know around here will sidemount steel tanks on their units but of course your mileage will vary.

In the end I kept a set of single tanks and two sets of doubles (one dedicated for trimix and one for air/nitrox/whatever). I don't have a lot of room to begin with so I never had nearly the quantity of tanks like a lot of people I know. I teach open water but so I usually end up borrowing tanks from shop I am affiliated with for pool classes.

I kept 3 AL80s for deep bailout/deco (50%, 21/35, 18/45) and 4 AL40s (100%, 50%, 32% and 21/35). I'm not doing anything super deep on my unit yet since I need to officially finish CCR trimix this winter/spring but I started running mix in my unit after about ~70 hours.

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

Before I got into rebreather diving I had two sets of doubles(both al80's) and bunch of singles steel and aluminum tanks 95, 80, 40,30 etc.. I kept these tanks for almost two more years.. At the end I realized that I only need two AL80's for BO and couple 40's for deco. I end up selling the rest because I had no use for them..

Sent from my MK15 electronics pod.

The list of things to sell is growing as I move to CCR!!! I might even sell the compressor off the boat.

More cash for new electronics!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast