+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BOV QD Component setup

RBW Member Capt Morgan is an unknown quantity at this point Capt Morgan's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: BOV QD Component setup

I just screw the end of a long hose on to my BOV and run it along
    the loop hose, round the back of my neck and down my left side.
    It comes out at waist level and is terminated with a female QC6
    like Andy, but not for the same reason (I don't do caves) but when carrying
    my unit or moving it about on a boat the QC6 can trail on the ground and
    I found it was scratching the male end of the QC6 so I just reversed them
    as the female end is better protected.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

I do have protective caps on all my QC6 connectors.
    For the male: http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...part=SS-QC6-SP
    For the female: http://www.swagelok.com/search-resul...x?qs=ss-qc6-bp

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

I do practically the same as Capt Morgan but I don't use a longhose, just a regular lp hose directly to the BOV, next the breathing hose up and then down my shoulder to the chest d ring. Cejn fittings on all BO .

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Using QC6s as well, but as Andy mentioned the male end is on the bailout and the female is on the CCR side. The males are easy to clear debris and mud from just by pushing on the exposed end for a second to burp some gas.

I will look into to male end caps though those look like a good addition.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Using QC6s as well, but as Andy mentioned the male end is on the bailout and the female is on the CCR side. The males are easy to clear debris and mud from just by pushing on the exposed end for a second to burp some gas.

I will look into to male end caps though those look like a good addition.
    I have one I will give you.

Peter

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to see if I can pick up a couple of the stem covers.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

One other tidbit is to make sure the hose lengths between the 1st stage and the QC6 and then from the QC6 to the BOV are long enough. It takes some force to shove the two ends together under pressure. If your arms are all scrunched up, getting enough leverage/force is difficult.

RBW Member yellowduke is an unknown quantity at this point yellowduke's Avatar
    Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
    APD Vision

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    One other tidbit is to make sure the hose lengths between the 1st stage and the QC6 and then from the QC6 to the BOV are long enough. It takes some force to shove the two ends together under pressure. If your arms are all scrunched up, getting enough leverage/force is difficult.
    I am planning on running the same basic set up as the OP and was wondering about hose length. Any suggestions? At the moment I am thinking 120cm hose from the BOV routed back over left shoulder and down the wing. A short hose would then go on the bailout but not sure how long. The choice of QD has also led to hours on the net reading threads on the forums!

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by yellowduke  View Original Post
    I am planning on running the same basic set up as the OP and was wondering about hose length. Any suggestions? At the moment I am thinking 120cm hose from the BOV routed back over left shoulder and down the wing. A short hose would then go on the bailout but not sure how long. The choice of QD has also led to hours on the net reading threads on the forums!
    I have a QC6 in-between my dil bottle and the LP manifold which feeds my ADV and wing. I can plug offboard gases into that. The hoses plus QC6 and manifold tuck behind my wing when in normal use. But they aren't very long and its a bit of a challenging to pull them far enough forward to reconnect an offboard cylinder. Hence the warning on making sure the QC6 isn't on too short of a hose that leaves it stuck close to your body where your vision and arm leverage isn't too great.

In your situation, 120cm seems about right to me (I assume you've used a string to measure this) but the "short hose" coming off the bailout should be 25 to 35cm to give you some room to pull it out enough to see with a mask on and manipulate it with gloves. It probably depends on how you are stowing your bailout, as a stage, sidemounted, or other. Good luck.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

I'm also planning out my offboard QD layout for my CCR to my new Hollis BOV. Good stuff from everyone so far. I like the arguments for which direction to run them to avoid bumping the stems and venting gas. I have issues with the Omniswivels at times. It routinely will engage but not seal - then seats fine when you re-engage it.
    Without derailing this thread does anyone us the QC4's for anything? I only ask as I have a few in a bucket of misc. Swagelok I bought. They are a lower flow rate? Smaller orifice?
    Sandy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast