+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BOV QD Component setup

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

BOV QD Component setup

Just ordered a Shrimp for my Meg, hopefully it will be shipping soon.

I'm looking for opinions on how everyone likes to set up their QD's and hoses for offboard bailout. At this point let's just assume single offboard bailout, no deep bailout or anything fancy at this current stage.

Currently thinking either Omniswivel QD at the BOV for size and weight and I won't need to be disconnecting it in the water, however I would like to be able to remove the hose easily. Other option is QC6 but they're massive and heavy for what it's being used for in my opinion. From there I had planned 40" hose routed along the loop and down the left side to a QC6. Bailout 1st stage has 11" hose to other side of the QC6. Which side of the connector is preferable for which hose? Male on BOV hose and female on 1st stage side? Other way around?

Thoughts? Without getting into manifolds and switch blocks, etc. this seems the easiest. Unfortunately there isn't a decent video or post that I've been able to find here or other forums with images or video actually intact so I can't model mine after prior posts. I've seen a diagram that looks alright but if anyone has pictures of a solid setup I'd be very thankful.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Re: BOV QD Component setup

I have been using something similar to this for several years and I am very happy with it.

http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/B...QD-System-2398

From a size perspective it's not overly large.

Good Luck!

Mark

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Something to consider: every time you add a QD you introduce a mechanical failure point, an extra piece of kit which requires regular (annual?) maintenance, an extra thing for you to have to drill on, an extra opportunity for you to connect the wrong gas or make a bad connection. So: do you really need it?

My BOV is plumbed in to my dil manifold. On shallow (less than 20m) dives it's enough to get me to the surface. On deeper dives, it means I get a couple of sanity breaths very simply if things don't feel quite right, and it gives me something to breathe whilst I fumble for the 2nd stage, double check mix, make sure the shutoff isn't and that air's coming out of the mouthpiece when I purge on the correct bailout if I need it.

Something else to consider if you're set on the QD path: even without any QD hardware, when I switched from an AP DSV to their OCB, the weight of just the miflex hose and straight connector has added a decided lean of the loop to that side. There's no way I'd be adding extra hardware at the BOV itself.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Yup... Everyone does things a little different and there are pluses and minuses to each. For example on deeper dives I always have off board plumbed into my BOV. That way I have more than just a couple sanity breaths and I don't worry about fumbling for anything. It's just my preference. I agree with your annual maintenance but in my mind it's well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Something to consider: every time you add a QD you introduce a mechanical failure point, an extra piece of kit which requires regular (annual?) maintenance, an extra thing for you to have to drill on, an extra opportunity for you to connect the wrong gas or make a bad connection. So: do you really need it?

My BOV is plumbed in to my dil manifold. On shallow (less than 20m) dives it's enough to get me to the surface. On deeper dives, it means I get a couple of sanity breaths very simply if things don't feel quite right, and it gives me something to breathe whilst I fumble for the 2nd stage, double check mix, make sure the shutoff isn't and that air's coming out of the mouthpiece when I purge on the correct bailout if I need it.

Something else to consider if you're set on the QD path: even without any QD hardware, when I switched from an AP DSV to their OCB, the weight of just the miflex hose and straight connector has added a decided lean of the loop to that side. There's no way I'd be adding extra hardware at the BOV itself.

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC  View Original Post
    Which side of the connector is preferable for which hose? Male on BOV hose and female on 1st stage side? Other way around?
    For QC6s, the male on 1st stage side and female on BOV/2nd stage side works better for our purposes. Less easy to get debris into the male side (which tends to be on stage cylinders left in the cave) and is easily removed by pressing the central plunger to purge the end of the connector with gas.

We used the Omniswivels exclusively for a while but they are prone to jamming up when they get sand and other debris in them, and unfortunately we cannot always avoid that.

Andy

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Here's a pic of my Prism 2 BOV with MK25/S600 bailout regs and QC6. I'd love some constructive criticism on this, because it can be improved upon.
    Attached Images

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

I also used to use the Omniswivel until I got in trouble back in a cave and bailed out on my BOV and could not get enough gas. Went to my backup second stage and had no problem. Now I just screw the LP hose straight to the BOV. The LP hose is connected to my BO bottle by utilizing a Swagelok QC6. Here is a schematic from there website of the Swagelok QC showing the direction of correct gas flow.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448845734.281106.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

For off-board I use QC-6's but have them reversed as Andy mentioned.

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Having them reversed with one cylinder connected, but carrying two bailout cylinders would mean a stem would be exposed on the spare BO cylinder. I prefer having bodies connected to 1st stage because they are more robust, and only one stem in the system, which will always be plugged into a body.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Your setup is OK for the QC6, the female is on the 1st stage as it should.

I'd love some constructive criticism on this, because it can be improved upon.
    Please put away this shut-off slider on the BOV, it could be closed by mistake and you would be very surprised if you had to breathe OC from the BOV...
    Putting a shut-off sloder on the regular second stage is a good practice as the regulator is not always in you vision field and it could leak (for example while scootering).
    But on the BOV, the gas path should be free from any blocking device. You can hear and see you BOV 2nd stage leaking, you can always take off the QC6 to stop it if the flow is important.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast