+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does Pre-breathing Your Rebreather Matter?

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Does Pre-breathing Your Rebreather Matter?

Does Pre-breathing Your Rebreather Matter?
    I was taught that it matters. Why? Oh....well....(so I have been told) it will identify a CO2 leak. "Better to pass out on the boat platform than in the water". Sounds like good advice, BUT...there is a recent study that questions this. I am not advocating that you do or do not pre-breathe after reading this. But I thought this was quite interesting and not too many of us know about it.

I summarized the study on our website: http://www.addhelium.com/#!Does-Preb...f298dc5b99e521

You should read the study yourself however, and the link is provided.

Safe diving.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Re: Does Pre-breathing Your Rebreather Matter?

I have read it also but I don't really pre breath anymore for a longer time. Paul Raymaekers already investigated a while age with a frozen scrubber ( I think it's in the article also) and it showed pre breathing wasn't nessesary to activate.
    I just do a few minutes to see what times the rms gives me but sometimes I also skip this because normally you know what the prediction from the rms will be after the last dive.

I don't believe a break through will show after a 5 or even 10 min pre breath.

But what I think is worth what you pay for it !!!

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

In a World where people still die because of closed or empty tanks, 2/3 years old sensors, etc the pre-breathe is very useful!!
    Personally I wouldn't have said a word about the study and his results, there's too much lack of discipline and now it will be even worst.

Just my two c.
    Nad

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

Pre breath has its merits, as far as checking for co2 issues it is next to useless.
    Once you have donned the unit and start to pre breath the time is used to make sure all functions of your unit are on and functioning.
    tank valves turned on and gas pressure
    manual adds functioning
    wing and suit inflation functioning
    2 mouth pieces ( dsv/bov bail cylinder)
    electronics monitoring
    solenoid firing on eccr , leaky valve maintaining ppo on mccr

Gabe

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    In a World where people still die because of closed or empty tanks, 2/3 years old sensors, etc the pre-breathe is very useful!!
    Personally I wouldn't have said a word about the study and his results, there's too much lack of discipline and now it will be even worst.

Just my two c.
    Nad
    My thoughts exactly. The prebreathe ensures you have the basic functions of the CCR operating before you jump.

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Quote Originally Posted by divingabe  View Original Post
    Pre breath has its merits, as far as checking for co2 issues it is next to useless.
    Once you have donned the unit and start to pre breath the time is used to make sure all functions of your unit are on and functioning.
    tank valves turned on and gas pressure
    manual adds functioning
    wing and suit inflation functioning
    2 mouth pieces ( dsv/bov bail cylinder)
    electronics monitoring
    solenoid firing on eccr , leaky valve maintaining ppo on mccr

Gabe
    +1

RBW Member horaceanddumpling is an unknown quantity at this point horaceanddumpling's Avatar

Cool Re: Does Pre-breathing Your Rebreather Matter?

If it 'll keep you alive for 5 minutes, y'all might be good for 5 more. YMMV.
    (did you have anything else planned before you jumped offa boat with 50kg of crap clipped on) ?

Quote Originally Posted by cb1  View Original Post
    My thoughts exactly. The prebreathe ensures you have the basic functions of the CCR operating before you jump.

Which is what the article suggested. I think it is important to KNOW WHY we do what we do rather than following procedures blindly. It's part of being a "thinking" diver rather than being a automaton.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Which is what the article suggested. I think it is important to KNOW WHY we do what we do rather than following procedures blindly. It's part of being a "thinking" diver rather than being a automaton.
    Yes, in a perfect World.
    Sometimes a Lie could save Lifes and procedures prevent faults, this is the case.
    Now that is evident (not that before was very clear) that for CO2 detection concern the prebreathe is not so useful for 5 minutes, I can see plenty of divers jumping directly in the water...
    It was better when we were ignorant...
    Nad

Quote Originally Posted by Nad  View Original Post
    Yes, in a perfect World.
    Sometimes a Lie could save Lifes and procedures prevent faults, this is the case.
    Now that is evident (not that before was very clear) that for CO2 detection concern the prebreathe is not so useful for 5 minutes, I can see plenty of divers jumping directly in the water...
    It was better when we were ignorant...
    Nad

Well Nad, we are of different opinions. I don't believe it beneficial to leave people in the dark or misled for "their own good". It's frankly condescending. Instead, I believe in education. If people with the knowledge (rather than myth) still do stupid things, then I leave it to Darwin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast