+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Used sorb

RBW Member xaryo is an unknown quantity at this point xaryo's Avatar

Used sorb

Other than disposing it in the garbage, what could be done with used scrubber material?

Currently, I'm dumping it under the patio as "filling material".

Can it be used as lanscaping material in the flowerbed or simply mixed with topsoil?

Once the reaction with CO2 ans water is completed, it is no longer producing caustic cocktail with water, so I figure the stuff is safe.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Used sorb

Subscribed...
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by xaryo  View Original Post
    Can it be used as lanscaping material in the flowerbed or simply mixed with topsoil?
    Yes fully reacted its safe for human and pet contact. The final product (minus the water produced) is calcium carbonate.

overall formula on the right side of this MSDS
    http://www.molecularproducts.com/pdf...%20UK%20DS.pdf

CaCO3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate

It will change the pH of your soil though. If you have naturally acidic soil it could actually improve productivity. Certain plants will not like it, rhododendrons and azaleas for instance prefer a more acidic soil.

You can have your soil tested for a very small fee by most agricultural universities and some nurseries etc. I would try to figure out your natural soil pH and if (to what extent) it needs for increased or stable productivity before adding used sofnolime to your flower or vegetable beds.

You can bury it someplace semi-remote on your property or dispose of it in the ocean off the side of your boat too. Although you might want to be discrete about the boat even though its a totally natural part of seawater already.

RBW Member WreckDiverCT is an unknown quantity at this point WreckDiverCT's Avatar
    rEvoIII Micro hRMS

IF the reaction was over and the material used up and inert you would experience hypercapnia. Further the sodium hydroxide only catalyzes the reaction to calcium carbonate so it is still present and is the most corrosive part of the whole mix. The unused calcium hydroxide while not as bad is still considered corrosive. Once it rains and gets wet you pretty much dumped dilute drain cleaner in your yard. The calcium carbonate will hang around but the rest will dissolve and leach into the soil. It's not the most horrible shit in the world but don't leave it where children and pets can play with it - it is NOT used up.

RBW Member xaryo is an unknown quantity at this point xaryo's Avatar

I know that when I dump th sorb it is not totally used up.

The rain being slightly to a bit acidic, it will react with the NaOH (sodium hydroxide). NaOH being a strong base, the neutralisation reaction will be complete (not to equlibrium) so it won't revert to the caustic stuff.

I need some filler to level the backyard, so I will be mixing the used sorb with the top soil. the ratio sorb/ soil won't be high enough to mak a big difference in the pH.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

It soaks up oil spills under my 1962 Corvette pretty well (old Chevys leak a bit)

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

When I applied it thinly to a lawn, the lawn improved but the white bits were visible for a few weeks. This was during our rainy winter. I don't think I will be putting it on during the dry weather.

Peter
    Last edited by PeterVICEG; 17th June 2015 at 16:15. Reason: Mistake

RBW Member nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny has a spectacular aura about nadwidny's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I dump it out in the woods behind my place and let it do its' thing to help solve global warming by using up the bit that is still good.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Thought it might do harm to a Norway Maple I wanted dead along the railroad right of way. After about 20 lbs of lightly used sorb around the trunk, it looked better than ever.

+ Reply to Thread