+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal set for sports/recreational diving. 25 meters

Ideal set for sports/recreational diving. 25 meters

Having been a sports diver many many moons ago I have been thinking to take the sport back up again and am quite intrigued with some of this new re-breather technology that I have been reading about.

I have no interest in deep diving but silent running, extended dive times and Co2 management implied with such sets as the Poseiden seem quite appealing.

If it is really true I only need concern myself with the bailout alarm and will have been kept safe up to that alarm point with optimum gas mix delivery for related depth to allow rapid accent if needed then I am quite interested and excited. Have I read right or am I completely off the mark? - It sounds simpler than classic scuba.

This Poseiden set appeals because it seems like a click and go system requiring no thought process from myself which would be the real danger. Is there any similar or better for my intended use?

I used to be a bsac sports diver but I doubt there is a fast route to closed system diving in that org and I don't really wana clean the boat every weekend again in exchange for open water time so I am assuming padi would be the path to follow?

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Re: Ideal set for sports/recreational diving. 25 meters

Hello

Perhaps, you should let yourself do some try dives with various RBs first.

Cheers

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by paulanthony  View Original Post
    This Poseiden set appeals because it seems like a click and go system requiring no thought process from myself which would be the real danger.
    This is a horrible, dangerous, potentially deadly attitude that clearly indicates to me you are nowhere near ready for rebreather diving.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    This is a horrible, dangerous, potentially deadly attitude that clearly indicates to me you are nowhere near ready for rebreather diving.

I had the exact same thought what I read that line.

RBW Member abscuba is an unknown quantity at this point abscuba's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

No RB out there should be set and go. If your intentions are for simply ready to dive shallow then a RB may not be the best choice. If you are just looking to extend your bottom time maybe consider an SCR, but even those units require attention and will kill you if you let them.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by abscuba  View Original Post
    No RB out there should be set and go. If your intentions are for simply ready to dive shallow then a RB may not be the best choice. If you are just looking to extend your bottom time maybe consider an SCR, but even those units require attention and will kill you if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post

Well, it maybe an attitude not conducive to your own but it is an attitude that has motivated Poseidon to move into the recreational sector. The simplicity of the set has captured my imagination but my original question was attempting to cut through marketing speak and qualify if what I have read is true, false or something in between.

They quote "The Poseidon MKVI is the world’s first rebreather for recreational divers. It’s a fully *closed, fully *automated unit that will make you see diving in a different light.

3 hours typical dive time
    Safer and easier to use
    Lighter and smaller
    No decompressions stops
    Silent operation makes you part of the environment; not just a visitor.
    The MKVI, the first true technological breakthrough in decades, is a game*changer."

I am not interested in extreme technical diving. However the Poseidon blurb implies that for "recreational" use, deco stops have no need to be concerned with due to dynamic algorithmic based gas delivery.

I read a blog where a chap is using the set in a way that would be similar to my intent. He described a bailout experience that had little or no fuss about it and with respect to this, my deeper question to the forum here was... Can I reliable depend on these new recreational sets to have delivered correct gas mix up to any bailout point that I may be alarmed to? If so then "click and go recreational use" would seem to be available to us now.

As I said, I have no interest in re-breather diving where I have to be concerned with trimix or nitrox ratios myself and it would seem the Poseidon set is pandering to my want.

If I have concluded wrong then so be it but I don't think there is anything wrong with my attitude else Poseidon surely would not be trying to address my needs. I really want to try closed circuit diving but I don't want to have to learn more than the basics about gas mixes. I am not and don't want to be a "technical" diver.

I hope this explains a bit more..
    Last edited by paulanthony; 8th June 2015 at 11:57.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I'm afraid that with a rebreather you will be much further along on your way to recieving a "Darwin Award" than if you stayed open circuit on a cattle boat filled with Japanese tourist divers.

You can't keep someone from killing themselves but you can sure try to warn them beforehand. Consider yourself warned.

Michael

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Brutal.

But...

In completely unrelated news I was reading last week about how many Google self driving cars have crashed of late.

I'm a freak for automation and tech but sometimes I think it's not a bad idea to have a steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Brutal.

But...

In completely unrelated news I was reading last week about how many Google self driving cars have crashed of late.

I'm a freak for automation and tech but sometimes I think it's not a bad idea to have a steering wheel.
    So you are saying then that "recreational" automated re-breathing systems do not exist then and are not worth pursing with the shallow diving agenda I have in mind?

I am really interested to know from the experience that exists here if these "recreational" sets deliver mix and gas correctly up to the point of bail alarm or can there be a long latency interval between fault and alarm.

As mentioned I am not interested in deep diving but like the idea of running silent but have no interest in getting overly technical in achieving this for diving in 50 foot of water.

For "recreational" use I personally don't see deep diving as the priority anyway, for me it is extended bottom time and noise inhibition but even at shallow depth for sure, I would like to feel safe. So does the Poseidon do what is says on the tin and keep me safe up to the point of alarm where at shallow depth I can simply abort or is it a case that the set can kill me before the alarm?

If it is the latter then I am not interested but if it is the former then I am interested.

I could ask Poseidon but I am sure they will tell me the former. I am hoping that this forum may have some knowledge as to the performance reliability of these "recreational" sets.

Fair question I think.
    Last edited by paulanthony; 8th June 2015 at 13:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast