+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting Rebreather, Cold or Warm Water

RBW Member exposure is an unknown quantity at this point exposure's Avatar
    APD Evolution+

Starting Rebreather, Cold or Warm Water

Hi There,

I am gonna jump into the CCR world, so I am looking for a place to start. Around my place there is only cold waters where the use of drysuit is compulsory or I can choose to go in a warmer place. I guess warm water will make the start easier but guessing between a cold or warm place is that really important to start?

Your views are welcome.

Exposure

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Starting Rebreather, Cold or Warm Water

Hello Exposure

As already commented on your Scubaboard thread...Meanwhile, welcome :)

APD Evolution+

Thank you dreamdive. That really make sense. My point was that being trained in an environment that is not my usual place will tend to make that training useless but clearly easier. I am guessing. The other environment that I am talking about is closer to my usual one, but as said it will require to manage the drysuit with the CCR and of course a reduced visibility. Choosing the easier one will require to get experience in a different environment than were I learned.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by exposure  View Original Post
    Thank you dreamdive. That really make sense. My point was that being trained in an environment that is not my usual place will tend to make that training useless but clearly easier. I am guessing. The other environment that I am talking about is closer to my usual one, but as said it will require to manage the drysuit with the CCR and of course a reduced visibility. Choosing the easier one will require to get experience in a different environment than were I learned.
    I think moving from a warmer (no drysuit) and better visibility environment from drysuit/poor vis, will not require "gaining" experience that needs to be managed. It might be an eye opener for you but that should be it. Once you got your training, moving back to what you are used to may be less of a problem than trying to train on a rebreather for only a few short days in that environment that is not conducive to learning in the first place. At least in my opinion.

Good luck and great fun!

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I think moving from a warmer (no drysuit) and better visibility environment from drysuit/poor vis, will not require "gaining" experience that needs to be managed. It might be an eye opener for you but that should be it. Once you got your training, moving back to what you are used to may be less of a problem than trying to train on a rebreather for only a few short days in that environment that is not conducive to learning in the first place. At least in my opinion.

Good luck and great fun!
    Clearly not a cold water diver.

Hard though it maybe to believe, it is possible to learn how to dive ccr in cold water. Then when you go diving in the tropics with it, you realize what wuss the warm water divers are and how much superior your skill set is as you are able to operate and manipulate everything multiple pairs of gloves and absolutely no feeling in your fingers.

Doesn't matter where you do your training. You won't know how to dive your unit well until you put a bunch of hours in.

But you will have fun!

Peter

The Evolution of Diving diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob is just really nice diverrob's Avatar
    Hybrid Meg

MCCR Dolphin, Evolution

Learn in the environment you plan on diving in the most.

APD Evolution+

Thank you all for your views. It is not that straightforward actually :)
    I kind a like the keep it simple from dreamdive.

RBW Member Efo is an unknown quantity at this point Efo's Avatar

You should go to Marseille then. This will be the best compromise for you. There is a CCR instructor there who is absolutely top notch. PM if you want more details ;)
    I moved to CCR 2y ago and can confirm this is a new world....

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

I started off in warmer waters but have come to love cold water diving. Both have wonderful things to offer.

Cheers - Chris

RBW Member Olsen DK is an unknown quantity at this point Olsen DK's Avatar
    Prism2

Dräger Ray

I did my MOD1 in Malta in May last year. Water was lovely 18°c but used my dry suite just with some thin undergarment. Had no issues in going home and dive in cold Denmark. Even this winter with water at chill 0°c.
    The learning environment is much better and you will learn to master the drills much easier. Back home you just have to remember to repeat the drills in your normal conditions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast