+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rEvo vs prism 2 pros and cons

RBW Member fengz is an unknown quantity at this point fengz's Avatar

rEvo vs prism 2 pros and cons

I am planning to purchase my first rebreather soon, and have limited my options to rEvo (micro) and prism 2 due to local availability for support and instructors. There seems to be a lot of reviews on rEvo on the internet, but not too much on prism 2. Some of the websites commented on prism 2 as being "not quite there yet", but failed to point out what's exactly lacking. So, I'd like to hear from those who had experience with both units, what do you like and dislike about each? Would the dislikes put you off from using that unit? What are the recommended mods for each unit, and how much would they cost in addition to the base price?

I do most of my dives up here in New England, but I'd also like to be able to travel with my rebreather. (I believe that both units are fairly easy to travel with.) I am not planning to do a lot of cave diving, or going very deep (>250fsw).

I don't want to start yet another war, so please focus your comments on just these two units.

Many thanks,

feng

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Re: rEvo vs prism 2 pros and cons

While I'd love to say that I don't find anything wrong with my Prism2, that simply isn't the case. For the most part, the unit has treated me exceptionally well. By that I mean that I have yet to miss a dive in over 2 years (I'm very careful about following my checklists and maintenance), and it's taken some pretty good beatings.

The Prism 2 travels fairly well. Generally I put the "brain" and a few other choice parts in a carry-on to take on the flight with me. Normally only my backplate and wing are in my checked baggage. I have a friend that travels with his rEvo and also says that it travels fairly well.

I would love to have rear mounted CL's to free up the chest area. I know that Hollis has recently shown a set at DEMA for the P2, but realistically, we're not going to see them in a very long time. I don't have too much trouble with the current CL's (I like the volume and a quick mod took care of better placement) and the WOB is awesome. Having a manual addition valve for the diluent as a standard option rather than an extra feature would be a very welcome addition. Having the rear mounted lungs of the rEvo would be nice for a few things, but, I'm not sold. I like having my flood recovery capabilities where they are right now. I also like the ease of removing and maintaining them. Having the lungs stuck in a metal box is not something I liked.

The scrubber bucket for the Prism 2 is my least favorite thing about the entire system. It's messy. It gets easier to pack over time, but that still doesn't fix the fact that it's a Pain in the A**. My rEvo friends can pack both of they're scrubber cassettes in about 1/2 the time or less with barely any spillage. Once packed, the scrubber performs very well. Having the dual system that rEvo offers has a lot of benefits. It's nice being able to "swap" them around. Perhaps one day, Hollis will offer different scrubber options for the Prism 2.

I have taken the P2 in caves, mines, wrecks, cold water and tropical water. Everywhere I've been, it's worked great. In a dry suit in the Caribbean this past March, using 2 lbs in each CL and 4 additional pounds, I was teaching using a single 40CF and had no problems getting down. With dual 80 CF aluminum tanks, I don't need any weight wearing a dry suit. The plastic cover gets trashed rather quickly, but, it's not hard to get a replacement for strictly visual joy. Mine gets worked over, isn't pretty anymore, but does what it's supposed to do. Many of my rEvo friends have that "rhino lining" on they're units. I guess that's cool for protection and all that. My unit looks like what it is...used. But it works perfectly, and that matters more to me than how "pretty" it looks.

I have no problems diving with 3 cells. I do validations frequently. The rEvo can have 5. That's great. I don't need that. I wouldn't even need the optional 4th cell from Hollis. I use a SA Petrel 2 as a backup. It's worked great so far and I don't have a need to switch.

I guess everyone will back they're unit. I find things I like about both of them. I dive a Prism 2 because I love it. That takes nothing away from rEvo as my friends that dive them swear by them as I swear by my P2. Both units use Shearwater electronics. You can't go wrong with that.

At the end of the day, you should do TRY DIVES with both units. See which one feels "right." Your first RB, will probably not be your last. Those are my 2 cents. I like both units, but am happy with my decision with the Prism 2. Otherwise, I probably would have become a rEvo Instructor instead...Both are great units. One will be right for YOU, but it'll have to be you that puts them both in the water to find out which is the right fit for the kind of diving you'll be involved in.

Cheers - Chris
    Last edited by CGOUGHN; 27th April 2015 at 21:38.

RBW Member huntdive is an unknown quantity at this point huntdive's Avatar
    rEvo

I dive the rEvo mini (7 years) and have not dove the prism2 but have a friend which dives one. Both are good units and I was looking recently to buying another rebreather, thought about a used prism and bought a new rEvo III micro.
    1. The Prisim has too much molded plastic for my liking, break a part and your out of diving until you can get it from Hollis (my friend has has that happen to his Prisim on a trip), the rEvo has very few plastic parts which could break. Things just seem to take a beating on dive boats whether you want it to happen or not.
    2. Front counter lungs versa back counter lungs, I like the front clean so rEvo is better for this.
    3. Same great shearwater electronics, although I hate the shearwater hud with the leds blinking the ppo2, I'm color blind, I had one and could not tell if it was orange/red blinking. I would rather have the rEvo huds 3 leds showing just High low or good.
    4. The Prisim didn't look like you could reconfigure it like the flexibility of the rEvo.
    5. You can buy a basic rEvo MCCR and upgrade to the total ECCR and the end price is about the same.
    6. The rEvo is easy to clean and easy to work on, really simple design and construction not to many things to break or leave out like o-rings (only 4 or 6 in rEvo). I love the fact that I can look in the counter lungs and not see anything but clean plastic, Prisim has the bags which might be a pain to clean and disinfect.
    7. Prisim I think Only has 3 cells, not sure if you have an option for 4 but I will not dive with less than 4 cells and prefer 5 cells. I have seen two cells at the same time go bad on a dive and the logical choice for computers/divers is to follow the majority.
    8. rEvo has a 2 scrubber design versa the 1 scrubber design, I like the rEvo scrubber and I believe it is easier to fill.
    9. Prisim has BOV --- rEvo you need to by a GG or something else if desired.

My choice of the rEvo is that I can change the electronics as I like have 3 to 5 cells if I want and can work on every item without sending it back to the factory. The rEvo may be a little more of a pain to travel with but the time I took my to TRUK it was not an issue and the TSA people liked to look at it in interest of the design not about what was it.

The Prism2 in general is a good unit, and I hear the WOB is nice but I don't know how it compares to the rEvo.

You might see if you can do a try dive with both units and see which one feel the best for you. Everyones opinions and reseverations are different what bothers me will not bother some others (example lots of people dive with 3 cells and are fine with it, I will not).

My two cents worth.

Good Luck and enjoy what you buy.

RBW Member L.Babcock is an unknown quantity at this point L.Babcock's Avatar
    Poseidon MK6,Hollis Prisim 2

I'm a Prism 2 cave instructor. Don't let the plastic parts fool you. It's a very tough unit that holds up to the cave environment. I teach a lot of classes and never had a Prism 2 not be able to dive. I have dove the Revo and I own a Prism 2

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Quote Originally Posted by L.Babcock  View Original Post
    I'm a Prism 2 cave instructor. Don't let the plastic parts fool you. It's a very tough unit that holds up to the cave environment. I teach a lot of classes and never had a Prism 2 not be able to dive. I have dove the Revo and I own a Prism 2

+1

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

If you position the rEvo very carefully it will stand all by itself. Of course one of my Dsix stands makes it much more stable.

If you leave the rubber balls on the Prism then it will sort of support itself too. If you are not a fan of having your unit supported by the tank valve, then one of my Dsix stands will solve that issue too.

I was recently at an Add Helium presentation where a couple of Hollis reps gave talks. They will have a stand and back mounted lungs available in the near future. I saw and touched their stand so I know it is real. The back mounted lungs were via a slideshow, but they will be released soon.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by huntdive  View Original Post
    1. The Prisim has too much molded plastic for my liking, break a part and your out of diving until you can get it from Hollis (my friend has has that happen to his Prisim on a trip), ...
    Do you remember which piece on your friend's Prism broke?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CGOUGHN  View Original Post
    +1
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your detailed review. I see you are located in Germany, and I am surprised that you are using a JJ Seems like that I need to try both units to make a decision.

feng

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    If you position the rEvo very carefully it will stand all by itself. Of course one of my Dsix stands makes it much more stable.

If you leave the rubber balls on the Prism then it will sort of support itself too. If you are not a fan of having your unit supported by the tank valve, then one of my Dsix stands will solve that issue too.

I was recently at an Add Helium presentation where a couple of Hollis reps gave talks. They will have a stand and back mounted lungs available in the near future. I saw and touched their stand so I know it is real. The back mounted lungs were via a slideshow, but they will be released soon.
    How do you like the new stand? Would you a cheaper one to compete with them?:)

RBW Member huntdive is an unknown quantity at this point huntdive's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by fengz  View Original Post
    Do you remember which piece on your friend's Prism broke?

Thanks.

It's been a year or two, sorry I don't remember the exact part but it did happen on the dive boat when it tripped over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast