+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TSA Question for checking in a Rebreather on a Aircraft

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

TSA Question for checking in a Rebreather on a Aircraft

I have always carried my rebreather and stored it in the overhead compartment on the aircraft.

This time I am checking it in and packing it inside of a storm case, which is like a pelican box, hard plastic case.

• I will not bring any tanks.

• I will not bring any sorb

• I will remove the sensors so they do not get damaged.

I think I will put plastic zip ties, two of them in the locking part of the case.

I will ask TSA to re-lock using zip ties once they open up the box. Question is this a mistake?

Besides putting on the outside of the box fragile handle with care, what suggestions should I write to TSA once they open up the storm case.
    I may also translate my letter to TSA in Spanish and English.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 9th April 2015 at 18:49.
    Chett. L

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Re: TSA Question for checking in a Rebreather on a Aircraft

Hi Chett,
    I would skip the zip ties, they do make TSA approved locks for bags you can pick these up for about 10 dollar each, all TSA agents have keys to open these types of locks. myself i never us a bag that screams steal me and I never lock my bags. I’ve worked for the airlines for 24 years now and nothing has been taken, I just make sure my bag doesn’t stand out and say steal me.. Hope this helps

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Here is great advise I just got from the Randy Thornton.

If possible, ask to be present when they inspect it. In case they decline your request, make sure you put a large printed flyer in the lid which has your name and mobile phone number and a request for them to call you on your mobile if they have any questions or concerns. Forgot to mention, depending on which airline you are flying, check your mobile app for baggage tracking and make sure the pelican case made it on the plane. If it is not showing up, make sure you speak up before the flight leaves!
    Last edited by Chett.L; 21st April 2015 at 04:09.
    Chett. L

RBW Member ericr is an unknown quantity at this point ericr's Avatar
    rEvo

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Here is great advise I just got from the Randy Thornton.

If possible, ask to be present when they inspect it. In case they decline your request, make sure you put a large printed flyer in the lid which has your name and mobile phone number and a request for them to call you on your mobile if they have any questions or concerns. Forgot to mention, depending on which airline you are flying, check your mobile app for baggage tracking and make sure the pelican case made it on the plane. If it is not showing up, make sure you speak up before the flight leaves!

Thank you Randy !!!

Hi Chett,
    In my experience flying with rEvo on carry on , to make things easier I call TSA ahead of time , give my flight number and explain exactly what I'm carrying on. I will take the bottles on , with out valves and the scrubbers packed. I also bring the MSDS sheet and leave an additional 30 minutes to get through security. If possible and there is time, I'll show it to the the pilot and crew. Being patient is critical :)

Eric

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

When I have chosen to check my HH CCR, in addition to I nice big note to tsa, I alway put the HH andi training manual on top of everything in the case.

Further I use wire ties on the case and include extras. They have always put new wire ties on the case.

For me I think the key has been the training manual...

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Chett I find it best not to make a big deal of it. When I go through TSA as carry on I call it scuba equipment. When they ask what the tank (scrubber) is filled with I tell them its a filter.
    I use simple words and speak slowly maintaining eye contact.
    For checked luggage I just tape a few zip ties inside the case so they will only see them if they open it. I also include the manual. In your case you are lucky because the the Prism 2 manual has lots of pictures so they won't get confused by any big words.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Chett I find it best not to make a big deal of it. When I go through TSA as carry on I call it scuba equipment. When they ask what the tank (scrubber) is filled with I tell them its a filter.
    I use simple words and speak slowly maintaining eye contact.
    For checked luggage I just tape a few zip ties inside the case so they will only see them if they open it. I also include the manual. In your case you are lucky because the the Prism 2 manual has lots of pictures so they won't get confused by any big words.
    Hi Dave,

Great Thinking !!!!

A Thousand Thanks
    Chett. L

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

All good advice. When I travel commercial airlines I use the TSA locks AND a ziptie through the zipper handles. That way, if the ziptie is broken or missing, you can bet they went through your stuff (I've had this happen without the little note they are supposed to put in your junk after they "inspect" it)

I'd also vote for a bag that blends (no pun meant here) in, anything that screams scuba or bags with dive logos or your badges of certification honors should be avoided- especially if traveling abroad.

I like bags that come from Costco and scream "business traveler". Those are cheap and work well. I have to say though, carry on is the first choice if possible (unless you have a Mk15 unit!!!)

Have fun Chett, I hope you are going somewhere new and exciting!!! Let us know how your trip goes-Kevin

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    All good advice. When I travel commercial airlines I use the TSA locks AND a ziptie through the zipper handles. That way, if the ziptie is broken or missing, you can bet they went through your stuff (I've had this happen without the little note they are supposed to put in your junk after they "inspect" it)

I'd also vote for a bag that blends (no pun meant here) in, anything that screams scuba or bags with dive logos or your badges of certification honors should be avoided- especially if traveling abroad.

I like bags that come from Costco and scream "business traveler". Those are cheap and work well. I have to say though, carry on is the first choice if possible (unless you have a Mk15 unit!!!)

Have fun Chett, I hope you are going somewhere new and exciting!!! Let us know how your trip goes-Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the good advise. I'm going to Cozumel to do some dive training with Matt Addison.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Just my 2¢ and success so far with carry-on/checked equipment...

-carry current dive magazine showing OC and CC to alleviate concerns with those not familiar. I also leave older copies in checked luggage.
    -MSDS sheets readily available but not taped to outside of scrub when checked. My belief is that it would draw more attention. However in checked, I make sure it's attached with as much literature as possible.
    -TSA locks AND brightly colored zip ties. The ties quickly show me if it's been opened (I carry a few extra) but the TSA locks afford more security.
    -laminated contents list with total weight taped to inside lid of Pelican cases. Each item referenced with a colored zip tie or duct tape with writing to explain what each item is. This bit of advice was offered to me by a recently retired airport worker who said that it "deterred theft, by making it obvious each item is documented and accounted for". Though I doubt a thief would bother to read or care, it hasn't created any negative issues either so I'll continue.
    -many strips of SOLAS tape on the outside of my Pelicans make it very obvious which are mine among a pile of Pelicans for quick recognition, though I favor the FDE for 2 other reasons and have yet to find any others in my travels.
    -girlfriend often rolls her eyes and complains about my Pelican choices, but admits their worth for protection (also waterproof, so rain is no issue). You can hear them slam down the luggage conveyor long before you hear them and we have no issue finding them from a distance.
    -the major downside is weight. Unless business class, you quickly exceed the weight limit and pay hefty fines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast