+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Choosing my first eCCR

RBW Member TecDiver1990 is an unknown quantity at this point TecDiver1990's Avatar
    Still Choosing

Choosing my first eCCR

So I've been looking into rebreathers for a long time. In the beginning, you couldn't have told me to get anything other than a Meg. The Meg was what immediately jumped to mind when I thought of a rebreather, then for a while, I thought I had decided on the rEvo because of the dual canisters, then I thought about the Hammerhead for a while. So finally, and after a lot of research and talking to several people, I've narrowed it down to two:

ISC Megalodon eCCR

-Tall Can
    -8lb. Radial Scrubber
    -APECS Primary
    -Shearwater Petrel Secondary w/ Fischer Conn.
    -OTSCL
    -ISC BOV
    -Faber 3L Steel Tanks

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR
    -Full Size Cannister
    -9.1lb. Radial Scrubber
    -Juergensen Marine Rev C+ Primary
    -Shearwater Petrel Secondary w/ Fischer Conn.
    -4 O2 Sensors
    -Extreme DIVA HUD
    -OTSCL
    -Golem Shrimp BOV
    -Faber 3L Steel Tanks

The rEvo is out of the running because several people told me I would have trouble reaching the valves and MAV because of my size (6'5" 265lb. 52" Chest, 36" Waist. Bodybuilder Body Type)
    Which of these two units would you pick and why? Any feedback would be a great help to me make a final decision. Thanks and Happy Diving!
    Last edited by TecDiver1990; 29th January 2015 at 14:38. Reason: Added more info

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Choosing my first eCCR

Do you really need the extremely large scrubbers?
    I assume that either of the scrubbers listed are good for dives between 10 and 14 hours. If you are doing dives that long you will need to carry a Bailout Rebreather too.
    If you aren't doing dives that long, you will be happier with smaller rebreathers.
    Michael

RBW Member TecDiver1990 is an unknown quantity at this point TecDiver1990's Avatar
    Still Choosing

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    Do you really need the extremely large scrubbers?
    I assume that either of the scrubbers listed are good for dives between 10 and 14 hours. If you are doing dives that long you will need to carry a Bailout Rebreather too.
    If you aren't doing dives that long, you will be happier with smaller rebreathers.
    Michael

That's where I'm hoping to take my diving eventually. I want to get one unit that could take me as far as I want to go. I'm also a very big person, so I can carry the big units without issue and each canister has a longer run life between sorb changes.

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

I would suggest try diving a standard rEvo before discounting it. I'm almost as big as you, and can just about manage a rEvo Mini, but the standard is really easy. And most rEvo's now are configured with the front 3 button MAV, so it's only the valves you need to reach.

From what you've shortlisted, get a try dive on both and buy whichever seems most comfortable in the water.

I dived OTSCL's for years, and I'd recommend you try the TOS Counterlung and BMCL options, as I now wouldn't go back to diving a OSTCL configuration.

HTH
    Simon A

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by TecDiver1990  View Original Post
    The rEvo is out of the running because several people told me I would have trouble reaching the valves and MAV because of my size (6'5" 265lb. 52" Chest, 36" Waist. Bodybuilder Body Type)

Hello TecDiver, best is to get a trydive on a unit: there are several instructors around that can give you a walk-through the unit, and you would be the first that would not be able to reach the valves or the MAV block. (it's on your chest)

let me know if you need additional information
    best
    paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

I thought I would chime in given Paul's post...

The Meg, HH and rEvo are all great units and as Paul mentioned, I would suggest trying a couple of the units given the magnitude of the investment. It will help you both learn about the units and get some perspective on teaching styles etc...

Here are a couple other ways to compare the units..

1) Counter Lungs - Meg and HH have the option of OTSCL and BMCL. The rEvo is only BMCL..

2) Scrubber Size - All three units have multiple scrubber size choices. I agree with the comment that I am not sure why you want such a big scrubber.

3) Can/Frames - There are several different size rEvo's. To Paul's point, I would expect that you would be fine with a Standard and you can add a stand to it if needed. The only down side is that it's kind of a fixed decision once you have made it... Both the HH and Meg have multiple can sizes that you can add, swap out etc as you choose. I like having a big and small can so that I can travel lighter when it suits me...

4) Tanks - You can put anything from a 3L down on a rEvo, Meg and HH.... There are a few people that put larger tanks on Meg's / HH's. I am personally not a big fan of that.

5) Electronics - There are various configuration options for each of the units. Mixes of true OEM plus Shearwater. The rEvo has some options with scrubber monitoring that is nice but very far from a must have. Meg/rEvo have some new innovations around their wiring harness approach. Again they are all very solid viable options.

6) BOV - I personally am a big fan of diving w/ a BOV. I personally would never own a unit without one. It's standard on the HH and optional on the MEG. Lot's of people put GG Shrimp's on their rEvos..

The bottom line is that you can not go wrong on any of the three units.

Personally I dive a HH and have been for years, previous to that an Inspiration... w/HH electronics. Kevin w/ JM and Sub-Gravity have been doing a great job expanding the offering.

Hope this has been helpful in some way....

Good luck!

Mark

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

I'm 197cm and used to be 112kg and have no problem reaching the valves or MAV on the back om my standard size rEvo. I dive in cold water (4-12 `c) using a drysuit, thick undersuit and thick gloves.

Both the Meg, HH and rEvo are all good units with their pro and cons.

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

The rEvo has a manual addition block at your chest so you don't have to be reaching behind you to add gas...so your size literally doesn't matter, unless you can't reach the valves.

All 3 have good reputations. There are a lot of other features you need to consider. Doing the try dives is the best bet for you.

Cheers - Chris
    Last edited by CGOUGHN; 29th January 2015 at 20:24.

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

Since this is your first rebreather and being such a large investment I know you want to make the right decision the first time. It's not going to happen. I also now dive a HH but it looks nothin like it did when I got it. As mention early the Meg and HH can be configured in a variety of ways.
    Also noticed you live in Atlanta Ga. I am located in S. W. Ga. and if you every want to see a HH let me know.

Fred Summerlin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuck Norris Diving Team scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike is on a distinguished road scuba_Mike's Avatar
    rEvoIII- rMS / APinspo&Triton

rEvoII-mCCR Boris & Sentinel

Hi,

Have a try.

Here a student Stephane 190cm - 125 kg changed from a standard rEvo for a micro one.

Radial Scrubber 4kg sorb or rMS depending on your dives.
    But 4kg ou 8lb scurbber on all CCR will always have +/- the same "hours" ... but not all as easy

regards Mike.
    Rebreather support in the Alps
    www.recycleur.eu