+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreather support in Australia: NSW and WA

RBW Member Sebby is an unknown quantity at this point Sebby's Avatar
    Revo

Ray, Poseidon Mk6

Rebreather support in Australia: NSW and WA

Hello everyone,

I started diving in Australia in OC when I was a student in Wollongong.
    I am thinking about going back in CCR to dive again my preferred dive sites.

So I was wondering about the logistics.
    Where is it possible to get CCR support (3L tanks hire, oxygen fills at a decent minimum pressure, sorb) around the following locations:
    -Bass Point reserve in NSW
    -Jervis bay, NSW
    -Narooma, NSW
    -Coral Bay, WA
    -Exmouth, WA?

By the way, are there any local special regulations for commercially operated boat dives in CCR?
    To be more specific: I am thinking about a French regulation applying here when you dive with a shop: the so-called "dive director" (divemaster supervising the dives from the boat) must be O2 100%-qualified for supervising air CCR divers, and Trimix-qualified for supervising Trimix CCR divers.
    Is there anything like this in Australia?

Thank you for your help
    Cheers
    Sebby

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Re: Rebreather support in Australia: NSW and WA

Hi Sebby

I can help you out with Sorb, Cylinder Hire and Boosted O2 if you are flying into Perth and then heading up North. Note there is no support for Rebreathers in Coral Bay or Exmouth it is all BYO so if you are driving up its all good we can sort you out.

In regards to regulations on commercial boats everyone is different best call the charter and get the specifics prior to rocking up for a dive with a CCR.

If diving in Queensland you will find the same rules as you are seeing in France apply, the rest of the country has not got that bad yet and most are happy if you just show the certification of the unit you are diving, however there are still a number of charters in Aus that will still not allow the devils work on the boat.

Cheers
    Chriso

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Mate ... given the spots you are diving and subsequent shallow depths I would suggest that you leave the unit at home. Out side of the capital cities CCR support is very slim (maybe Cairns would be an exception).

-Bass Point reserve in NSW .... Sydney is your best bet
    -Jervis bay, NSW .... Sydney is your best bet
    -Narooma, NSW .... forget it
    -Coral Bay, WA .... see Chris post
    -Exmouth, WA? .... see Chris post

As I said outside the capital cities then this place is still coming to grips with Nitrox - CCR's in your dreams. Unless you are prepared to carry your own go OC and save all the pain.

Baz

Paul Daniels eXile is on a distinguished road eXile is on a distinguished road eXile's Avatar
    Davis Station, Antarctica(Usually Jervis Bay, Australia)
    Ouroboros #107

Classic Inspo, Ray, Homebuild

Ive got my booster and 02 setup in Jervis Bay. I do a lot of deeper reef dives here so if you need anything pm me and I can probably help you out. Have sorb as well if you need, 1 set of 3l inspo tanks and also bailout tins.
    Last edited by eXile; 25th January 2015 at 23:47.

Revo

Ray, Poseidon Mk6

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post

I can help you out with Sorb, Cylinder Hire and Boosted O2 if you are flying into Perth and then heading up North. Note there is no support for Rebreathers in Coral Bay or Exmouth it is all BYO so if you are driving up its all good we can sort you out.
    Hi Chris and thank you for the proposal
    Based on your reply and the others', I understand reb support is scattered and will require mainly to drive from a state capital with everything in the boot. I can manage in NSW (most dive sites are in a 4hour radius around sydney) but northern WA seems more challenging with much longer drives to Ningaloo sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post
    In regards to regulations on commercial boats everyone is different best call the charter and get the specifics prior to rocking up for a dive with a CCR.

If diving in Queensland you will find the same rules as you are seeing in France apply, the rest of the country has not got that bad yet and most are happy if you just show the certification of the unit you are diving, however there are still a number of charters in Aus that will still not allow the devils work on the boat.
    We have the same issue here. If the captain does not like your evil machine, you stay in port. So you need to call before hand.

No specific rule applying to shore diving?

Thanks
    Sebby

Revo

Ray, Poseidon Mk6

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Mate ... given the spots you are diving and subsequent shallow depths I would suggest that you leave the unit at home. Out side of the capital cities CCR support is very slim (maybe Cairns would be an exception).

-Bass Point reserve in NSW .... Sydney is your best bet
    -Jervis bay, NSW .... Sydney is your best bet
    -Narooma, NSW .... forget it
    -Coral Bay, WA .... see Chris post
    -Exmouth, WA? .... see Chris post
    Hi Baz
    Yes a shore dive trip down the sydney coast looks possible then.

By the way, I am not into very deep dives. I went into rebreathers for wildlife approach and extended durations under water. In this frame of mind, I dream of a 4-hour dive in Bushranger's bay or in the Sponge garden
    Cheers
    Sebby

Revo

Ray, Poseidon Mk6

Quote Originally Posted by eXile  View Original Post
    Ive got my booster and 02 setup in Jervis Bay. I do a lot of deeper reef dives here so if you need anything pm me and I can probably help you out. Have sorb as well if you need, 1 set of 3l inspo tanks and also bailout tins.
    Hi
    Thanks for the offer!
    This would be convenient to have a refill capability after leaving Sydney with the hired O2 tanks.

So NSW looks definitely interesting to shore dive with a CCR.

By the way if anyone knows of other Oz places with CCR support, let me know.

Sebby

+ Reply to Thread