+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3000-5000 lumen lights, depth rated 200m

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: 3000-5000 lumen lights, depth rated 200m

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post
    If money is no object have a chat to Corey at Light Monkey about his custom made 200W HMI's... maybe a bit more light than you need but would definitely do the job.
    This isn't cheap either, but it's a hell of a lot brighter than Rodney's scooter mounted "Death Ray":
    http://www.northernlightscuba.fi/?pr...ernova&lang=en

The surface of the LEDs is somewhere near 7.5 x 7.5 cm or 3x3" with 32000 Lumen of output. At full power the 450Wh Battery pack is drained after 1 hour.

Michael
    Last edited by michael-fisch; 2nd December 2014 at 13:52.

RBW Member jonny51g is an unknown quantity at this point jonny51g's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

You should choose "the beast " from scubamafia in finland.
    It's awesome!

JulesDive JulesElliott is an unknown quantity at this point JulesElliott's Avatar
    Megalodon

Thanks for all the replies so far...

I have a Cath X Ocean torch already, but its quite a narrow beam.
    So not really suitable for video use.
    But a great dive torch.

I had a quick look at their website, maybe I didn't find the right product(s) ?
    As the dive lights I could see there are all quite narrow beam.
    Whereas I am looking for something with >120 degrees in water for video

Jules.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Check out Bigblue Dive Lights. I was using their 2800 lumen lights - nice and small piece of kit, and a very nice price point. 120 degree beam. My Irish friends were using the Cathx lights and they switched out to Bigblue last year after we compared the two. As you mentioned, the Cathx don't have an ideal spread, and intensity does not seem to match advertised specs.
    I just got their 5800 lumen lights and they are definitely brighter than the 2800 - basically almost two points on the camera. They are rated to 100m but I have had them to over 120m and would not hesitate to take them to 150+.
    Previously, I was using the SOLA lights, but they started to have issues around 70m with the switch so they were not dependable on deep dives.
    Here is a video using their 15,000 lumen lights on a deep cave dive here in Florida:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhoQ...ature=youtu.be
    I used two 15,000 lumen lights on camera, and there were three others used on the dive. They recently redesigned the 15,000 lumen light so they are much smaller and half as negative...pretty sweet. They now have a 25,000 lumen light in the same can as the older 15,000 lumen lights.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Just another Meg diver trimix1965 is an unknown quantity at this point trimix1965's Avatar
    Megladon Apecs 2.01

Quote Originally Posted by minos2014  View Original Post
    I saw the lights are very expensive.But surely the northernlight are nice quality. If you are looking for a powerful video lights. I think you can try this model

5000lumen diving video light run time over 80 minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9B9MsBhQKo

Cheers
    Would you like to sell your old light:)

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by JulesElliott  View Original Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far...

I have a Cath X Ocean torch already, but its quite a narrow beam.
    So not really suitable for video use.
    But a great dive torch.

I had a quick look at their website, maybe I didn't find the right product(s) ?
    As the dive lights I could see there are all quite narrow beam.
    Whereas I am looking for something with >120 degrees in water for video

Jules.
    Hi Jules
    Cathx have specific video lights on their website. Have a look at them on YouTube when they were used on the empress of Britain dive at 163m with no difficulties.

Regards

Cathal

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

My company has been producing these (attached):
    IMG_0579.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0891.jpg

This is a 500 lumen 4" diameter LED head that is potted. They have seen 1000 meters with no problems. Run on 12 vdc. I have run them alone, or multiples using a junction box.

I have found that running an array of these provides a nice illumination for photo/video and is not as overpowering as a single head with a lot of power.

Best part is the price point - couple hundred bucks per head.
    Last edited by OceanOpportunity; 3rd April 2015 at 20:33.

RBW Member decostanza is an unknown quantity at this point decostanza's Avatar
    rEvoIII Ti

Mostly lurk here but this is a thread I can contribute to as far as giving some input...someone mentioned UWLightdude previously...they just released a 13K light you might want to check out as you weigh your options.
    Don