+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BOV connection to off-board bailout

RBW Member Plato is an unknown quantity at this point Plato's Avatar
    O2ptima

BOV connection to off-board bailout

Can someone walk me through the necessary parts and configuration for attaching a BOV to an off-board bailout bottle. I have seen some pictures of detached hose configurations, etc. but I am not sure I am getting the whole picture on hose routing, connections, etc.

I have not used a BOV yet, but I think I want to set it up so it is plugged into off-board gas rather than on-board diluent. I dive an Optima.

If this has been discussed to death already and is an old topic I apologize.

All suggestions are appreciated.

RBW Member pollardive is an unknown quantity at this point pollardive's Avatar

Re: BOV connection to off-board bailout

Check out this video,
    Kevin.

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Check out Rob Infante's blog. He has his off board setup detailed on it. Its the way i have mine and am happy with it.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

There are a couple old threads that cover this pretty well in detail.. Will look and see if I can find one for you...

Standard hose attached to bov, male cejn with check valve female 3/8 fitting attached to other end of hose. Female cejn on off board bailout

Or just simplify and have hose from bailout to bov

I Make Stuff! sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail has a spectacular aura about sunkmail's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I made this drawing for myself when figuring out how I wanted to do my hose routing.

It is a little confusing, as the plan was to draw out my options and figure out which would work the best for my particular need.

- 2 options for the BOB side
    - 4 options for the BOV Side

I was looking at options where I could either use standard hoses of whatever length, or use a reusable fitting to make the hoses custom length.

I did like having a Miflex like hose going to the BOV, so my plan was to extend from my existing (onboard BOV) hose. I know this adds an extra o-ring, but I'm ok with that. It's actually easier if it were a single hose anyway.

Either Way, If it helps great, otherwise, feel free to ignore it. :0

And use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Plato  View Original Post
    Can someone walk me through the necessary parts and configuration for attaching a BOV to an off-board bailout bottle. I have seen some pictures of detached hose configurations, etc. but I am not sure I am getting the whole picture on hose routing, connections, etc.

I have not used a BOV yet, but I think I want to set it up so it is plugged into off-board gas rather than on-board diluent. I dive an Optima.

If this has been discussed to death already and is an old topic I apologize.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Banned W W Meixner is an unknown quantity at this point W W Meixner's Avatar
    Drager Dolphin

Hey Plato,

I use an original KISS BOV on my dolphin. I have a 19 cu ft bailout bottle which is strapped to the right side of the back-mounted shell. The bailout has a dedicated 1st stage to which is connected a button SPG, a LP inflator hose and a LP reg hose. Attached to the LP reg hose is an XS Scuba (female end, with lock) quick dis-connect. The KISS BOV is attached to the breathing hoses in place of the standard mouth-piece assembly. Connected to the second stage inlet on the BOV is the male end of the XS Scuba quick dis-connect. The BOV second stage reg2014_0121NewParagonRegs0009.jpg is attached to the LP reg hose (via male/female quick dis-connect assembly).

Above comprises complete, independent bailout system attached to dual (open circuit/closed circuit) BOV assembly. The LP inflator hose provides air to the units integrated wing assembly (BCD).

Hope the above is useful, Warren
    Attached Images

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I use a standard 1.5m hose running back down the bailout tank (under two bungees) and up between my diluient tank and the wing, over the sholder then velcroed on to the loop and just hand tight screwed on to my BOV

I usec to use QDs but had them fail so I dont bother now.

All my off boards have regs on that are hand tight so I can swap to another gas if (in the very unlikley event) I need to SCR

Just unscrew reg, stick in pocket,

Unscrew BOV feed hose screw on new off board hose and gas up.

Obviously I am SCR whilst I do this

If not going SCR then I breath the bov till I am done with that tank then I go OC on the off boards

ATB

Mark

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

All my off boards have regs on that are hand tight so I can swap to another gas if (in the very unlikley event) I need to SCR

Just unscrew reg, stick in pocket,

Mark,

Just wondering, do You just have the Reg, Attached to LPI and Not LPI aswell?

RBW Member BlueLabelDiving is an unknown quantity at this point BlueLabelDiving's Avatar
    Meg, Inspo, homebuilt

I run my BOV onboard. I have a separate LP hose coming from my onboard dil reg with swagelok female QC6 running to my offboard bail tank (with short hose and male QC6). An omniswivel 3-way manifold close to the 1st stage of my ccr dil allows this amount of hoses and to date I haven't had anything leak of blow up. I've practiced unplugging the QC6 single handed in case of gas loss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast