+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

  1. #1
    Custom Title Allowed! Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia is a glorious beacon of light Pierre Farrugia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    636

    Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Hello all,

    For all you wreck divers, when diving a wreck after the skipper shots it, what is the procedure ? Do you always tie the shot rope to wreck? How do you do it ? This is after some friends of mine didn't find the shot, as it drifted from the wreck!

  2. #2
    Brent - Narked at 90
    divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld has a reputation beyond repute divetheworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Prescot, England
    Posts
    2,423
    Deep Pursuit or a Camelion

    and 11 others inc. a UT-240

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Farrugia
    Hello all,

    For all you wreck divers, when diving a wreck after the skipper shots it, what is the procedure ? Do you always tie the shot rope to wreck? How do you do it ? This is after some friends of mine didn't find the shot, as it drifted from the wreck!
    Just put it in properly or as secure at you can. dont let people pull on the shot on the way up or down.
    If you tie to it, someone will have to untie it on the way off. This isnt always possible when the current starts to run.
    Copying skips understanding. Understanding is how you grow. You have to understand why something works or why something is how it is. When you copy it, you miss that. WWW.NARKEDAT90.COM
    www.puwer.co.uk PUWER and Machinery CE Marking www.ce-eu.com

  3. #3
    Resident Selkie hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat is just really nice hchoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pensacola, FL- USA
    Posts
    297
    Megladon

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Pierre-

    We don't use a "shot line" per se- but rather a grapnel hook with a length of chain. THe combination of the grapnel and chain gives enough weight that the line drops quickly, and the grapnel hooks into the wreck pretty easily. The first team on the bottom checks the grapnel and makes sure it is secure, and the last team off the wreck pulls and fouls the hook.

  4. #4
    So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,205
    JJ Hybrid

    Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    We take a bright yellow waster line and tie the shot in to the wreck by tyeing on to the shot and down on to the wreck. This ensures the shot is where you left it when you return to the position at the end of the dive.

    We mark the shot with a strobe for each diver/ team and when returning to the shot if yours is the last strobe you cut the waster before ascending.





    ATB

    Mark Chase

  5. #5
    Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Hove, UK
    Posts
    914
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Normally the first pair in secure the shot to the wreck, either by making sure its secure i.e the grapple is in a good spot or by 'tying in'. If we're tying in, we normally use what we call a 'waster' generally some thin blue Polly prop rope.

    When the divers are recovered, the shot is pulled and the waster snaps.

    I find that tying in is more typical when we're using a deco station and it's pretty essential the shot stays in place :D

    Cheers

    Rich

  6. #6
    RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    tokyo
    Posts
    4,504

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Normally we drop anchor just up current of the wreck, scooter down the anchor cable pulling a line down to the bottom then let the current gently blow you (and the line end) onto the wreck where you tie on the line with a waster right at the agreed spot/point of interest.

    Once tied in crew takes up slack from surface. If doing more than one dive the on board briefing informs divers of exact location of both downline (tied to wreck at point of interest) and the position of the anchor. It has proven useful from a safety perspective many times to have 2 lines to the surface (anchor and upline) Knowing where the anchor is in relation to the wreck has saved my butt a few times! :D

    After all diving is finished anchor is pulled and boat motion snaps waster, line retrieved.

    This method has worked very well for us on wrecks as deep as 127m and currents of several knots.

    We dont do drifting deco - its too dangerous/troublesome. Dont like shots, they only work well on shallow wrecks in mild currents.

    The other day the downline snapped when we still had divers on a 78m wreck, 2 knott current, Capt jumped in with a new line, scootered down the anchor cable, drifted over to the wreck and tied in about 3" away from the original tie in location. All in all took total of about 5 mins. Divers returning to the upline didnt even know it had happened!

  7. #7
    RBW Member Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon has a spectacular aura about Ivon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    432
    Evolution

    Inspiration

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    Normally we drop anchor just up current of the wreck, scooter down the anchor cable pulling a line down to the bottom then let the current gently blow you (and the line end) onto the wreck where you tie on the line with a waster right at the agreed spot/point of interest.

    Once tied in crew takes up slack from surface. If doing more than one dive the on board briefing informs divers of exact location of both downline (tied to wreck at point of interest) and the position of the anchor. It has proven useful from a safety perspective many times to have 2 lines to the surface (anchor and upline) Knowing where the anchor is in relation to the wreck has saved my butt a few times! :D

    After all diving is finished anchor is pulled and boat motion snaps waster, line retrieved.

    This method has worked very well for us on wrecks as deep as 127m and currents of several knots.

    We dont do drifting deco - its too dangerous/troublesome. Dont like shots, they only work well on shallow wrecks in mild currents.

    The other day the downline snapped when we still had divers on a 78m wreck, 2 knott current, Capt jumped in with a new line, scootered down the anchor cable, drifted over to the wreck and tied in about 3" away from the original tie in location. All in all took total of about 5 mins. Divers returning to the upline didnt even know it had happened!
    This is the method we are thinking of employing this season, we have a large Sampson post on the front of our Rib (6.5m so a good size platform) to break the line. My only consern is the extra lines in the water with the poor vis we usualy have off the East coast of England and the line that will be left for future dives.
    the way we wer going to work it was each pair take down a line and second pair in bag up the anchor so there will always be a minimum of two lines on the wreck.

    Ivon

  8. #8
    So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    5,205
    JJ Hybrid

    Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    We cut the waster because we have lost too many shot weights trying to break the damed thing :D

    ATB

    Mark Chase

  9. #9
    RBW Member leadking is on a distinguished road leadking is on a distinguished road leadking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    58

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Quote Originally Posted by RichClark
    Normally the first pair in secure the shot to the wreck, either by making sure its secure i.e the grapple is in a good spot or by 'tying in'. If we're tying in, we normally use what we call a 'waster' generally some thin blue Polly prop rope.

    When the divers are recovered, the shot is pulled and the waster snaps.

    I find that tying in is more typical when we're using a deco station and it's pretty essential the shot stays in place :D

    Cheers

    Rich
    Nice to know your leaving plastic line in the enviroment. Why not use cotton or manila that will degrade?

    We always check and set the line and last up clears the line or fouls it .
    Last edited by leadking; 25th May 2006 at 13:04.

  10. #10
    RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,382

    Re: Wreck diving- shot rope tie in

    Quote Originally Posted by leadking
    Nice to know your leaving plastic line in the enviroment. Why not use cotton or manila that will degrade?
    Probably because he's leaving it on 5000 tons of dumped, slowly rotting metal plus whatever cargo and he reasons it's irrelevant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts