+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shearwater Petrel Standalone expereince

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Shearwater Petrel Standalone expereince

Hello all, I need a new computer and thinking of a standalone Petrel. Has anybody had a battery compartment flood? Has anybody had an issue with battery contacts failing or being intermittent? I ask because I have had these issues with other computers and want to know if the Petrel is any better somehow. It is a shame nobody seems to have perfected a potted rechargeable induction battery yet. Thanks in advance, -Andy

Supporting Member fishegle is an unknown quantity at this point fishegle's Avatar
    MEG, Pathfinder, rEVO

KISS GEM, Prism II

Re: Shearwater Petrel Standalone expereince

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello all, I need a new computer and thinking of a standalone Petrel. Has anybody had a battery compartment flood? Has anybody had an issue with battery contacts failing or being intermittent? I ask because I have had these issues with other computers and want to know if the Petrel is any better somehow. It is a shame nobody seems to have perfected a potted rechargeable induction battery yet. Thanks in advance, -Andy
    I have both the Petrel and the Predator stand alone and 3 hardwired (both models). I have never had any of the issues you experienced. Duration is over 200 dives on each up to depths of 300ft. The only kind of issue I had was using a battery other than the SAFT in the predator without the "new cap" they designed and it would not work. They were sending this replacement cap out for free it was basically a bit tighter tolerance. With the new one it works with both the SAFT and other battery of like schematics.
    There is no better computer out there!

RBW Member PIG004 is an unknown quantity at this point PIG004's Avatar
    jj ccr

No issues with my Petrel and the voltage is rock solid when downloaded to the Shearwater desk top.
    Predator I did have some issues but inserted a small piece of folded paper into the battery compartment and that seemed to cure it.

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

I've had no problems with my hardwired Predator or my stand alone Petrel. Just pay attention when you are switching out the batteries and ensure a secure fit of the cap to begin with.

Cheers - Chris

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

I have two Petrel love them both, no issues to date.

Shearwater Petrel Standalone expereince

2 stand alone petrels between my wife and I and a petrel controller for P2 no issues with any of them

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

works fine, I already used that computer on 5 dives between 105m and 130m. No problems.

RBW Member verhaba is an unknown quantity at this point verhaba's Avatar
    m-rEvo III

none

I had one experience but got sorted out asap. Just before a dive, I started my petrel and it showed me a wizard when you change batteries (which I hadn't done). After running through the wiz, I ended with a message CRC check failed. The petrel did not power itself off. It kept displaying valuable information like depth, time and tts.
    I had a back up computer so I could safely start and end the dive.
    I recieved a new one as the issue was covered by the warranty. Dive with it now since, without any trouble.
    still very happy of it. Me like petrel.

RBW Member LeCrabe is an unknown quantity at this point LeCrabe's Avatar
    rEvo III mCCR mini titanium

my petrel SA rocks... thats it!!!!

RBW Member Brummkreisel is an unknown quantity at this point Brummkreisel's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Submatix SMS

I had an issue with battery contacts which was solved pretty fast by shearwater resp. N90. Since that no more issue. The display is really great especially in our dark lakes. Non deco calculation on fix set point is very close to the figures calculated by vision thus the petrel is a realy useful as standalone backup computer.

Make the right choice
    Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast