+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new brands of rebreathers, what makes them to survive or not?

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

new brands of rebreathers, what makes them to survive or not?

You see all times new 'rebreather brands' coming on the market. What make such a new brand survive or not?

For example, the SF2, that is now a 2-3 years on the market and it seems to be a good rebreather, it is starting to get quite popular. I had the chance to try it once and it was really stable under water, but in a standing position breathing difficult. I like the concept of sidemount rebreather. Further I cannot say it is a good unit or not. I haven't seen it inside. But it seems that the price for a complete unit is ok and that the service is good too.

White Arrow has a kind of DIR rebreather. But I really don't know the brand and I cannot find reviews about it. I don't know how it works. There are some movies on youtube about it and it looks like an rb80-clone, but with some things different and possible to run it fully closed. There is a sidemount version too. I don't like the switchblock and I haven't seen it in real or dived with it. So I cannot say I like it or not.

LDsC is developing a rebreather, that is not on the market. What does it must have to buy it? I have seen it only on pictures and it looks like they copied some things and improve some things. It looks on pictures streamlined. But in diving I want realiable electronics too. I don't know enough about it to say something.

So what is important to buy one of the newcoming unites on the market and what let them stay on the market?

RBW Member joker is an unknown quantity at this point joker's Avatar
    HH

BI APD

Re: new brands of rebreathers, what makes them to survive or not?

Quote Originally Posted by taliena
    SF2, that is now a 2-3 years on the market and it seems to be a good rebreather, it is starting to get quite popular. I had the chance to try it once and it was really stable under water, but in a standing position breathing difficult.
    All sidemount CCR with CL inside have this problem

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Design features & cost

If they have something special like the rEvo twin scrubber, then they will stand out.

Then once you start diving them they have to be reliable

Its also important to clearley target your product

I think the new recreational Hollis units have done an amazing job of that

Looking good helps

ATB

Mark

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Design
    Quality
    Customer Service
    Customer Feedback
    Electronics

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Custom Title Allowed! Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook is on a distinguished road Robert Cook's Avatar

Partially comes down to :-

- whether they can do anything better than existing units

- testing (or lack thereof) - the first 2 things I ask for are scrubber duration and work of breathing. If I can't get the proper numbers for these, I stop looking immediately. Replies like "the work of breathing is excellent" don't mean a thing.

- another, more subjective, problem is that I tend to buy gear largely based on it having a reputation for reliability. New gear hasn't had a chance to establish that reputation yet

Thanks,
    Robert

RBW Member SigiSolo has a little shameless behaviour in the past SigiSolo's Avatar
    Poseidon SE7EN

I think it is a business on a booming market!
    I think each manufacturer must habe a rebreather in his drawer! "Normal" diving equipment decreases, rebreather equipment increases.
    In a lot of years if a manufacterer doesn't have reabreather equipment in his choice is growing from the market.
    In each "new" market it is the same: some small companies devellope innovative product. If the market is large enough larger companies buy the small companies or there develloped products and each small company hopes to make good business.
    And some companies (perhaps Poseidon, Jurgenson Marine, Innerspace, ...) enshure their market share.

I think back 20 years: there where al least 50 computer manufacterer. And greadually they was bought up! And now we have maximal 5 computer manufacterer...

It's absolutlly not a question of new devellopement. It's only a question of (new) business.

By
    SigiSolo

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Maybe the JJ should be considered as a recent success case study.

RBW Member MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent will become famous soon enough MeRodent's Avatar
    rEvo micro FT

Quote Originally Posted by SigiSolo  View Original Post
    I think back 20 years: there where al least 50 computer manufacterer. And greadually they was bought up! And now we have maximal 5 computer manufacterer...
    I can think of 3 that I currently own:
    Suunto, OSTC, Shearwater.

Add to that a quick rundown of CCR compatible computer manufacturers that I don't own:
    Posieden, JM, liquid vision, seabear, AV1.

And that's not even mentioning the non-CCR options such as Mares, Oceanic etc.
    Or the mythical unicorn iCCR controller (doesn't actually count given pdf's aren't interactive).

I've already doubled your count and I'm sure I've missed a lot.

RBW Member 1Digger is an unknown quantity at this point 1Digger's Avatar
    mini Quantum, 100, Proteus

You can add Submatix SPX42 to CCR compatible computers

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Apparently whether something is CE tested makes a difference to some. Does it matter here?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast