+ Reply to Thread

Thread: solenoid failure?

Lee Thompson dragerdiver is an unknown quantity at this point dragerdiver's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Dolphin, Ray

solenoid failure?

So yesterday I was diving Lake Erie, first dive was uneventful, 59 min, 124 ft, 39 f . Second dive very exciting, after descending to the bottom 112' I did a check of my hand sets, 1.2 ppo2, I swam across the wreck about 50' then I heard my o2 flowing, and that fast my diva was flashing red and vibrating, ppo2 had jumped to 2.19. I returned to the boat, thinking the solenoid was toast. Topside the solenoid stayed open. This morning as I started to look at what might be wrong, with the solenoid it works good. My question is that if the solenoid can form ice crystals just like with open circuit reg, and stick open?

Lee
    Last edited by dragerdiver; 29th June 2014 at 15:40. Reason: edit spelling

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Re: solenoid failure?

Quote Originally Posted by dragerdiver  View Original Post
    So yesterday I was diving Lake Erie, first dive was uneventful, 59 min, 124 ft, 39 f . Second dive very exciting, after descending to the bottom 112' I did a check of my hand sets, 1.2 ppo2, I swam across the wreck about 50' then I heard my o2 flowing, and that fast my diva was flashing red and vibrating, ppo2 had jumped to 2.19. I returned to the boat, thinking the solenoid was toast. Topside the solenoid stayed open. This morning as I started to look at what might be wrong, with the solenoid it works good. My question is that if the solenoid can form ice crystals just like with open circuit reg, and stick open?

Lee
    Lee,

Depends on the moisture content of your O2 gas... Most likely, you may have some schmootz in your Solenoid which is blocking the piston from closing over the orifice.

The benefit of the Optima is that the Solenoid is easily replaced - which I think you should definitely do. You can call us tomorrow, or call Dive Rite and get one asap.

Once a solenoid misbehaves (for any reason), it needs to be replaced. It's not that expensive, and is a critical part of your system, just like O2 sensors.

Call me tomorrow if you have any questions.

Kevin Juergensen
    Juergensen Marine, Inc.

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

By the way...

Yet another endorsement of the Vibrating Alarm... I'm sure you would have caught it (well, I HOPE you would have), but that DIVA doesn't let you ignore it.

I believe every rig should be equipped with one, and have been very open to Licensing arrangements to other manufacturers so they can utilize the technology (Poseidon and Hollis currently do).

Glad you're safe.

Kevin.

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

I'm glad you are okay! What an endoursement of the DIVA!! Glad I have one even if 99.9% of my diving i'm not really using the vibrating feature but as a safety net I'm glad I have it for these type of failures.

Thanks for sharing.

Let me clarify that the thing is only vibrating if there is a problem so what i meant to say is that it doesn't really vibrate at all because my hammerhead works like a charm except for that one time I forgot to reset the stack timer. It got my attention so much and scared the crap out of me to the extent that I havent' done it a second time.

Love the DIVA.

Second edit: Love the Hammerhead.
    Last edited by Garth; 29th June 2014 at 21:18.