+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: travel friendly RB

RBW Member gobbe is an unknown quantity at this point gobbe's Avatar
    Inspiration

Re: travel friendly RB

Quote Originally Posted by Husker diver  View Original Post
    +1

I haven't taveled with my Inspo but I suspect it could be a bugger even with the PLDT frame...but doable I suppose.
    It depends. If you take the narked@90 travel frame you can quite easily take the scrubber, lid and lungs to backpack and put it overhead on plain. Of course it is not the smallest and lightest but it's quite easily doable.

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

Pelagian for many reasons...

Any size tanks found at destination can be used..

Very easy to service in the field (with appropriate knowledge) and get spares anywhere.

Fit in standard airport carry on luggage and doesn't weigh much.

Versatile to different configurations for deep expedition diving.

Instant cell validation at any point during a dive.

Also now had 3rd party testing on WOB by Swedish Navy to CE standards..

Then again I'm biased My unit has served me well the past 6 years and over 1000 hrs use.

cheers
    Rod

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar
    Inspo w/Deep Pursuit head:)

Quote Originally Posted by gobbe  View Original Post
    It depends. If you take the narked@90 travel frame you can quite easily take the scrubber, lid and lungs to backpack and put it overhead on plain. Of course it is not the smallest and lightest but it's quite easily doable.
    The beauty of the PLDT frame is that it breaks down. The trouble with the PLDT frame is that it breaks down. I love how collapsable it is but that means that there's a lot of nuts and bolts that you have to keep together while traveling. If you don't, you're screwed.

If the OP went with an Inspo or Evo and wanted a travel friendly frame, I highly recommend the PLDT. It does give you the option of having a great rebreather with support around the world in a frame that can theoretically be broken down and taken around the world.
    Last edited by Husker diver; 13th June 2014 at 04:22.

Dive Junkie Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver will become famous soon enough Husker diver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

I couldn't see me doing my usual 3 hour 60-70m trimix dives and defo not my ocasional trips down arround 100m but I can easily see me buying one in the future when I give up on deeper than 50m stuff

ATB

Mark
    Well the manual says that it is depth limited to 250ft (76m) but that's just because it contains a CMF valve. If it were me, I'd set my IP to whatever best suits me, and dive to whatever depth I planned on. I would know that there is a depth (which could be calculated easy enough and observed by watching the PO2) that I would reach back and turn off my O2 so as to not go hyperoxic. Once I needed a little O2 to achieve my set point, I would reach back and crack the O2 valve open and feather in a small bit of O2.

This was one of the drills my mod 1 instructor taught me to do on my Inspo in case of solenoid failure. Granted I was only in about 110ft of water but it really wasn't all that difficult or troublesome. I did that for a good 20 minutes or so and then all the way up on deco.

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zaf88  View Original Post
    Great stuff here guys thanks so much. What ever happened to the steam machine prism since Hollis acquired them? is that rig any good?
    Prism 2 is an excellent RB and easy to travel with. I carry my frame, head, basket, and bucket assembled in carry-on roller case with counter lungs and loop hoses backeted around it. Wing and plate/harness are packed in my checked bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    Sorry I am not familure with that unit

Ill look it up.

ATB

Mark

OK didint realise the LTE was the Spirit

Fantastic travel unit but more of a second unit than a primary (IMHO).

I couldn't see me doing my usual 3 hour 60-70m trimix dives and defo not my ocasional trips down arround 100m but I can easily see me buying one in the future when I give up on deeper than 50m stuff

I have a BIG soft spot for the Classic KISS so I hope this is as good in terms of being so easy to live with.

ATB

Mark

you are my new go to guy for rebreathers! what do you think about the prism 2?

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Well the manual says that it is depth limited to 250ft (76m) but that's just because it contains a CMF valve. If it were me, I'd set my IP to whatever best suits me, and dive to whatever depth I planned on. I would know that there is a depth (which could be calculated easy enough and observed by watching the PO2) that I would reach back and turn off my O2 so as to not go hyperoxic. Once I needed a little O2 to achieve my set point, I would reach back and crack the O2 valve open and feather in a small bit of O2.

This was one of the drills my mod 1 instructor taught me to do on my Inspo in case of solenoid failure. Granted I was only in about 110ft of water but it really wasn't all that difficult or troublesome. I did that for a good 20 minutes or so and then all the way up on deco.
    You have that backwards. The non depth compensating regulator will shut off the O2 at depth. Not a big deal to add O2, if you are expecting it.

Peter

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

travel friendly RB

There are easier and safer ways to do it in the Spirit, just like the Classic, which make that a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1w  View Original Post
    There are easier and safer ways to do it in the Spirit, just like the Classic, which make that a no brainer.
    I have no doubt that's true...but let's not hi-jack the thread to discuss that here

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by zaf88  View Original Post
    you are my new go to guy for rebreathers! what do you think about the prism 2?

DIficult to say much because its so new and I havent seen one in the flesh but it has Shearwater electronics display and HUD which is a great start. It looks very travel freindly which is again great, From the shell back plate and scrubber design id say light weight which is also very travel freindly.

Id say on the negative side for me the OTS lungs as I prefer rear lungs and it hasent got a proper stand. I could be wrong but it loks a little tricky to put a stand on it. For many this wont be an issue but for me I use heavy stages often 3 11ltrs and waiting kitted up on a boat without the unit on the bench taking the weight is a problem for me.

Other minor issue would be no BOV but I am sure a Golum would fit.

ATB

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast