+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Submerge Vortex Speed Control

RBW Member floridabob is an unknown quantity at this point floridabob's Avatar
    coming

Submerge Vortex Speed Control

Be warned: I am a World Class Submerge fan.

In April I picked up a Magnus from Submerge that has the new Vortex speed controller on it. For those that are familiar w/the Venom 3 or 5 speed electronics its like that: the first trigger pull is the variable speed controller and the second is all out. Only its 2 trigger pulls in total.

So, first click and you can be whatever the dial is set at. From a slow creep all the way to full power. The second click and you are full tilt boogie, to the Hinkle in 13 minutes on a Meg w/bailouts.

This is a worthwhile feature that makes riding the scooter nice and keeps it easy to slow down so your friends can keep up. It makes extending the range more functional since you can adjust the voltage to the motor as the battery voltage decreases (that's what happens when you adjust the dial--the effective voltage the motor sees is reduced/increased thereby reducing/increasing the discharge rate). Rodney demoed this at Dema but its just now coming to market. No thru-hull fittings...they are all magnetic.

And yes, I understand that is an over-simplified explanation, but its pretty darn close!

I've put over 5 miles on this thing and I think its quite slick. Much more user friendly than prop pitch adjustments and more flexible than 5 set "speeds". We also used it to boat dive in Key West (video to come) and its a great package for that application, too.

Bob
    Attached Images
    Last edited by floridabob; 3rd June 2014 at 01:43.

RBW Member Marbry is an unknown quantity at this point Marbry's Avatar
    Revo

Re: Submerge Vortex Speed Control

Now it's like a Farallon!

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Similar to the LDG Genesis... On the Genesis your thumb operates the variable speed lever and your index finger/grip operates the on off trigger...

(1) Run the scooter with trigger on and thumb variable speed from 0% to 100%, or (2) set the speed you want then trigger on or off.

RBW Member Dr. Lecter is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Lecter's Avatar
    rEvo II

Difference being that the Genesis allows for dialing any prop speed between dead crawl and seeyalater Magnus rather than dialing one of multiple settings. Well, that and the magnetic prop, closed charging, and latch-less seals ;)

I'm also subtracting cool points for a missed opportunity to make the scale go to 11.

RBW Member floridabob is an unknown quantity at this point floridabob's Avatar
    coming

[QUOTE=Dr. Lecter;459251]Difference being that the Genesis allows for dialing any prop speed between dead crawl and seeyalater Magnus rather than dialing one of multiple settings. Well, that and the magnetic prop, closed charging, and latch-less seals ;)

I'm also subtracting cool points for a missed opportunity to make the scale go to 11.[/QUOTE

I fully admit the scale should go one louder, to 11.

However, it is infinite from nearly not moving to hauling taters. And I doubt the Genesis is any faster. Especially since I've ridden both. But life, like scooter speed, can be subjective.

I can appreciate competition on all levels and DPVs are no different.

Bob

rEvo II

So the numbers are just markers, and you can select settings between them? I like it - one drawback on the Genesis is it's hard to nail a setting for consistency in drain rate. Infinite adjustment with markers of some kind is probably the best compromise.

As for the speed thing, I routinely race a buddy with the same unit and bailout who's on a very nice Magnus with the solid prop. It's a fine DPV, but it doesn't quite keep up on full-tilt-boogey. I fully admit it could be trim/drag based, but I don't think so.
    Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 21st October 2014 at 08:59.

RBW Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lecter  View Original Post
    fully admit it could be trim/drag based, but I don't think so.
    Considering most of the rebreather divers you see in videos and such have terrible trim so he'd be in good company.

7-8000 dollar scooters dragging around guys with 45 degree trim... Oh the humanity!

Cam

RBW Member pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver's Avatar
    Revo III

Alright you bastards, you are talking about me!

One day, we will have to monkey race to take all other variables out of the equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rEvo II

Well, if you'd post a dive up already maybe we could do that...

RBW Member pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver will become famous soon enough pensacoladiver's Avatar
    Revo III

Yeah, been in school and heading to Florida this weekend. Gonna be dry for a bit.

Chris is talking about a coal ship run Thursday morning. Can you sneak away from work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast