+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dive CAN/ISCAN/CAN Bus - what's the fuss?

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Unhappy Re: Dive CAN/ISCAN/CAN Bus - what's the fuss?

Hi
    My 5 cents...

I'm convinced DIY RB builder. ( and engineer who worked already 97 with CanOpen HW/SW... So I fully agree the choice of CAN, it's the way to go)

But:
    Do I have the posibility to do my new machine with any of these fancy controlers?? Answer I got: NO, they will not sell you... F.x.: CE, risk, ...

I want a controler, I want a dive computer, I want a device that I can readout when sitting in the pub after the dive, and yes, I'm ready to spent money for something convincing.

Am I alowed to do? No.
    A discussion, what kind of communication is choosen, makes no sense when you can only buy complete devices, that contain such technic....
    Buy completely new units, forget your old material.

Mike

P.S.
    I'm exactly in these days sitting on that problem.

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Re: Dive CAN/ISCAN/CAN Bus - what's the fuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen24060  View Original Post

The neutral: the system turns on whenever water hits the plug contacts. Even with no handset/hud plugged in, you can still jump in the water and have the unit maintain the last setpoint. The downside of this is that the unit tends to turn on if you just look at it sideways. This depletes your battery in-between dives. I've gone through way too many batteries this way.
    This is easily fixed. You just dry off the wet connectors, turn off the unit, then disconnect the primary handset. then it cant turn on and drill down the head batterys.

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post
    This is easily fixed. You just dry off the wet connectors, turn off the unit, then disconnect the primary handset. then it cant turn on and drill down the head batterys.

The plugs on the Pathfinder are really sensitive. They stay wet until you unplug them and blow them out. While blowing (and actually, you are supposed to rinse the connectors too). The thing turns on. Then you plug in the handset and turn it off. Then you unplug and if you aren't holding your mouth just right while standing on your left foot, a bit of moisture will activate the head again. So repeat until it seems that the head is finally asleep.

The handset can activate from the moist strap touching the screws on the bottom or maybe just the connector touching something moist or metal or maybe just your sweaty hands. For the official ISC procedure, consult your manual... Personally, I'm going to clip the wet-sensor wires next time I take the glass off the handset as I'm tired of this particular feature... I'll let the HUD plug auto turn on the unit as I plug my HUD into the secondary slot...

RBW Member Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060 is on a distinguished road Kristen24060's Avatar
    Pathfinder

+1 for DIY hardware. Truth is that all these units are all experimental anyway! If you don't know enough about rebreathers to build your own, you probably are not safe with these "commercial" units. Shearwater should produce the modules for anyone to install in anything they like.

I think that the rebreather manufacturers should take complete and total liability for everything that happens if they insist that their units are anything but experimental collections of parts for the user to assemble, improve, test or discard bits as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Eitel  View Original Post
    Hi
    My 5 cents...

I'm convinced DIY Rebreather builder. ( and engineer who worked already 97 with CanOpen HW/SW... So I fully agree the choice of CAN, it's the way to go)

But:
    Do I have the posibility to do my new machine with any of these fancy controlers?? Answer I got: NO, they will not sell you... F.x.: CE, risk, ...

I want a controler, I want a dive computer, I want a device that I can readout when sitting in the pub after the dive, and yes, I'm ready to spent money for something convincing.

Am I alowed to do? No.
    A discussion, what kind of communication is choosen, makes no sense when you can only buy complete devices, that contain such technic....
    Buy completely new units, forget your old material.

Mike

P.S.
    I'm exactly in these days sitting on that problem.

CEO DiveNav, Inc. DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bgpartri  View Original Post
    ......While we hope that DiveCAN becomes a standard in the industry, we make no promise about when or if it will become publicly available......
    Then maybe we should put together specs for a new open source CANDive protocol. Anyone interested?

CEO DiveNav, Inc. DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav will become famous soon enough DiveNav's Avatar

.......Who will be our hero and be the first to jailbreak the ISCan system?
    Send one over

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Horn  View Original Post
    A presentation on CANbus that might be of interest to folk using it, who want to find out how it works and are DIY inclined.
    Looks similar to the GS911 "toolputer" that I plug into my BMW GS bike CAN plug. That saves me the co$t$ of going to the dealer for diagnostics, service that I can do myself for 1/4 of the dealer co$t$ and erase flashing "service" messages.
    I like that.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by DiveNav  View Original Post
    Then maybe we should put together specs for a new open source CANDive protocol. Anyone interested?
    I'd certainly be interested in consuming the protocol down the track. Don't have the experience in the industry or application to offer much more than the basics of data/status messages for current cell (O2 and CO2) readings, HP contents signals if that's to be integrated and stick temperatures; with control messages assigning roles and checking for status of multiple controllers on the bus, setpoint changes, calibration commands and coefficients, injection overrides and what else?

I'm sure the systems coming from ISC and Bruce both have involved a lot of design time, prototyping, testing and reworking their protocols to get them mostly right, though, and ain't nobody got time for doing that all over again.

Pathfinder

I think the Shearwater computers are open source. I wonder if we can develop a public domain program that could be loaded up. I doubt that the algorithm would be too bad for just maintaining a set-point. At least then, we would know what the program logic is supposed to do. For instance, I had no idea that the handset SAFT battery would provide back-up power to the head for cell readings and HUD, but would shut-off the solenoid in case the head 9-volt battery died. I only found out about this feature when my head battery actually died!

RBW Member Doole is on a distinguished road Doole is on a distinguished road Doole's Avatar
    Pathfinder

For instance, I had no idea that the handset SAFT battery would provide back-up power to the head for cell readings and HUD, but would shut-off the solenoid in case the head 9-volt battery died. I only found out about this feature when my head battery actually died!
    Think your instructor should have told you about that. And i know for sure its in the manual that one of the agencies have made. If its a pathfinder you use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast