+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Divermag article on rebreather fatalities

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Divermag article on rebreather fatalities

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Re: Divermag article on rebreather fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    Some interesting stuff. Now, should we reconsider our habit of raising our pO2 during deco, those of us that do that is?

/nils

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

twaddle , we all know ccr is safe as house,s and even someone that has only a few 20m dive in his log book can strap on a R type breather and have a fab old time ,

wish some fookers would make there frigging minds up lol

ps i like my 1.6 on deco , no ill not be dropping it , worked for 25years why would i change now ,

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Simple and direct.

I'm curious for more information about "Autopsy revealed high levels of stimulants and narcotics. ". Coffee? 5 hour energy drink? Controlled substance? The narcotics don't need an explanation.

I have a vested interest in the effects of medication due to my back injury (work related) and the prescribed medication.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

wow, but in my limited experience and reading, seems most CCR fatalities have been user error of some sort.

I was just involved in a fatality a few weeks ago, and am awaiting the results of an investigation of his RB. I sincerely pray its not user error as well.

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

I made a laminate check list and always go down the list. And being a newbie beginning junior CCR diver, I dump the sofnolime at the end of the day, no matter how many dives I do that day. Of course the one thing I fear most is being killed by another car while driving to go diving.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Reminds me when I was still skydiving. 99+% of deaths were attributed to human error rather than equipment failure. Not sure if that number is necessarily correct in CCR diving.

I have one big problem with the article, though. It is titled "Statistics show…..". The author presented case studies. He offered none of his statistical analysis or source for review.

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

To call them ‘hideous insidious killing machines’ is not completely inaccurate.
    Give me a break.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    I have one big problem with the article, though. It is titled "Statistics show…..". The author presented case studies. He offered none of his statistical analysis or source for review.
    That was my problem with it too. It read almost like an opinion piece rather than the results of a scientific investigation/statistical analysis...

Dive addict taliena is an unknown quantity at this point taliena's Avatar

I agree that ccr diving asks more (or better say different) skills than oc diving. Some divers will never learn ccr diving. I did my courses quite fast but I dive a lot. Now full trimix diver on ccr.
    When we would do our first 120m dive. I had a problem with the positive test. Negative passed, positive failed (and within a few minutes). We checked all again, and again, and then found it was the the connection of a hose to the scrubberpot. So fixed and we did that dive. A great dive.

I always have oc bailout with me, even in a shallow dive to 15m. I don't have a bov/ocb, so I carry a stage all times.

A thing I learned in my courses and not all people agree: higher the PO2 to 1.5 or 1.6 during last stop.

But man-mistake-stupidities-fatalities happen with oc diving too. The article shows that it is not the machine, but only the diver that causes accidents. It is nothing new.

Last edited by taliena; 1st May 2014 at 09:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast