+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Which eCCR?

RBW Member RobinN is an unknown quantity at this point RobinN's Avatar
    Not decided yet

Which eCCR?

Ah well, here goes, my first post on RBW.

After 46 years of diving OC, I've decided to take the herculean leap to eCCRs. I've done a try-dive to 20 metres on a Poseidon VI in Indonesia and enjoyed it immensely. The only downside was the heavy mouthpiece. However, it was this experience that set me on my course for a eCCR.

Buying a RB is not straightforward. It's not like walking into a high-street shop and browsing the selection on sale! To all you guys out there with at least one RB, I'd appreciate your recommendation of what you think I should be looking, or, what I definitely shouldn't be considering!

My criteria so far - a) ease of owner maintenance/servicing, b) ease of dismantling for overseas trips, c) no immediate plans for trimix and, perhaps most importantly, d) reliability.

I haven't ruled out a Poseidon Se7en but I'd welcome any advice on anything else.

Thanks,

Robin

RBW Member ashrob1991 is an unknown quantity at this point ashrob1991's Avatar
    posiedon mk6/seven

Re: Which eCCR?

I dive a Poseidon mkvi, just upgraded to a seven. Just waiting on it's return from Poseidon. Good thing about the seven if your not thinking trimix at the moment is ease of upgrading. Change the battery and completely change the unit. If you were thinking more trimix route if probably choose something else but for rec and 48 trimix definately seven is a good option!

RBW Member Dr. Lecter is an unknown quantity at this point Dr. Lecter's Avatar
    rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by RobinN  View Original Post
    My criteria so far - a) ease of owner maintenance/servicing, b) ease of dismantling for overseas trips, c) no immediate plans for trimix and, perhaps most importantly, d) reliability.
    I recently moved to CCR because of the logistics of OC at the depths I was diving. Aside from (c), you and I have similar criteria and I went with a rEvo hCCR. Because a good rEvo II mini came up at a great price, I bought it and got started on CCR probably a year sooner than if I'd waited to buy my ideal unit brand new. If you're looking at a new one, I'd get the Micro III titanium or an expedition hCCR.

In terms of ease of owner maintenance/servicing, I was able to completely break the unit down into its component parts on my own before class to troubleshoot a small leak at a counterlung connection that was causing the unit to fail a bubble check. Fixed the leak, rebuilt some p-ports, and then I put it back together without too much trouble and it was ready to dive (there was a little last minute help from Jason Fisch the morning the class started, but only because I wanted to get new cable glands on it even though the old ones weren't leaking). The only things I didn't mess with were the Clippard manual addition assemblies (which new rEvos don't have) and the lungs to scrubber housings connections (trickier than the lungs-p-port connections). Most of the upgrades I'm aware of (revodreams, WOB kits, waterproof solenoids) are offered as user-installable.

Breaking down for travel is pretty easy...I pull the tanks, and put the whole thing in a carryon bag. A micro TI version would be even easier.

Reliability...so far, so good. It's surely a simpler unit than the Poseidens are. I won't comment on relative reliability because of my limited CCR experience, but one of the reasons I picked a rEvo was because it's simple and that tends to translate into reliability.

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

The only downside was the heavy mouthpiece. However, it was this experience that set me on my course for a eCCR.
    Given that Poseidon has one of the smallest BOV on the market, the only way to go lighter is to choose a unit without BOV and for recreational diving or light technical diving many divers like to have a BOV for easy OC Bailout.

The Poseidon has a 2 year service interval. In terms of user maintenance it is pretty straight forward. Not many parts.

Dismantling the unit is quite easy and it is travel friendly. Loop hoses and T-pieces in the canister and the e-module in the carry-on.

Trimix can be added as you go, by getting the Tx battery.

I have had my unit since 2011 and have done approx 95 dives, had some big issues with cold water diving, but since mid 2012, the unit has been working flawlessly for about 85 dives.

But as always, you need to understand your unit and the functionality. The automated predive check might fail from time to time, sometimes without obvious reason and sometime due to user failure. But it is all about trying to keep it safe.

The Poseidon is a great unit, probably not the best, but certainly not the worst either.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Which eCCR?

After 46 years of diving OC, I've decided to take the herculean leap to eCCRs. I've done a try-dive to 20 metres on a Poseidon VI in Indonesia and enjoyed it immensely. The only downside was the heavy mouthpiece. However, it was this experience that set me on my course for a eCCR.

Buying a RB is not straightforward. It's not like walking into a high-street shop and browsing the selection on sale! To all you guys out there with at least one RB, I'd appreciate your recommendation of what you think I should be looking, or, what I definitely shouldn't be considering!

I haven't ruled out a Poseidon Se7en but I'd welcome any advice on anything else.

Thanks,

Robin

The best RB?

Mine !!!! rEvo SS standard hybrid full RMS 1 dream and a Shearwater Predator hardwired for only 7800€ + shipping ;)
    Optional with one extra predator with fisher 8500€ + shipping

Harnes like new 3 dives
    rEvo with only around 60 hours on it.

Can come with new Yellow canister lid if you don't like the black and whit nearly new white 3 liter bottles.

For sure the best unit for you ;) ;) ;)

Sent by my scrubber using a rEvodream

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Buying a Rebreather is not straightforward. It's not like walking into a high-street shop and browsing the selection on sale! To all you guys out there with at least one RB, I'd appreciate your recommendation of what you think I should be looking, or, what I definitely shouldn't be considering!

Thanks,

Robin
    Hi Robin,

Nice to see a local (I'm in Dorset) here... as for recommendations everyone will likely just recommend their own, very few people have dived enough units to have a wide enough experience to recommend (me included)

However- If I where in the Market and looking for a versatile ECCR and like you based in the UK my shortlist would be-
    1. JJ-CCR, Lead instructor on your doorstep, leads the way in simplicity and reliability, can be stripped to fit in small suitcase and head in hand luggage, will accept any tank size you find at your destination, a veritable swiss-army knife.
    2. Inspiration Vision, Also on your doorstep (Cornwall) for back-to-base servicing and repair, massive history of diving with lots of experienced users and 3rd party parts, travel frames etc, often imitated, rarely bettered. Some negative press on forums because the most recent version is quiet old now... there is a reason why they haven't changed it- it just works.

Personally- I would avoid units manufactured in the Americas due to servicing, spares and the language barrier

IMO the Poseidon 7 is too new, you should look to buy units that have been out for 2-3yrs and the niggles ironed out, manufacturers have a habit of releasing CCR's too early and letting users do the final testing!
    In the future the Sentinel might be an option, Vobster's have just taken over manufacturing and might make a silk purse out of a pigs ear but at the moment the product isn't worth considering as you require travel and reliability!

With regards the heavy mouthpiece- most CCR's mouthpieces are heavier (in air) than a 2nd stage regulator but the hoses should be adjusted to provide a degree of "lift" to counter that, underwater the mouthpiece can be setup as weightless
    Some units come with a mouthpiece retaining strap to hold them in place, I have one and its great- you don't need to hold onto it with your teeth at all!
    In Summary- don't let the mouthpiece issue hold you back.

Remember- Advice is worth what you pay for it, this advice was free, treat it as such

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

Robin,
    I'd go with Ben's recommendations but if you go for an inspo get the back mounted counterlungs, or at least make sure you budget to get a set,
    I also suggest Looking at the Revo, the standard is a little big for comfortable travel (I still get mine in a suitcase ok), but the Mini and Micro's whilst still not coming apart much are easy to fit into a suitcase and are bullet proof.
    I've dived a JJ, and I dived an Inspiration for 5 years, and I currently dive a rEvo. I've dived all 3 enough that I'd dive any of the 3 to the limit of my training after a couple of dives to reacquaint myself with the units I don't currently dive on a regular basis.
    In my opinion the rEvo has the edge over the Inspiration, but had AP released the back mounted counterlungs at the time, I probably wouldn't have bothered to swap from the Inspiration to the rEvo.
    The rEvo electronics are more modular, it's perfectly possible to carry a spare fischer lead and computer and should the electronics fail swap them out and keep diving (never had to do it yet, but my 2007 rEvo II standard now has the rEvodream-P and the Shearwater hCCR kit on it which didn't exist when it was originally released).
    The inspo is easy and quick to get spares and service on, JJ's I've not got experience of the service for.

The other consideration is do any of the people you dive with already dive CCR? as if your diving with a group, it makes sense to dive what the others already have experience of keeping running and you can pool spares.

My final word of warning is that a Sentinel is probably not what you are looking for as a first rebreather, They are bulky and heavy if you are trying to travel with them, and they have lots of complicated electronics that don't have the best reputation for reliability.
    HTH
    Simon A
    Last edited by Simon A; 1st April 2014 at 11:03.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Thanks,

Robin

The P7 is definatly not a owner maintinance unit

rEvo is excelent but for easy travel you want the micro titanium or just about the Mini but I had the SS mini and that was a bit of a sod to travel with and was too heavy for a wet suit.

JJ is so reliable I dont think owner maintinance is worth worrying about but if the head goes it is back to base unlike the rEvo. However its top trumps for travel and its a joy to dive.

Personaly id want a Golum Shrimp on both and for the rEvo for UK diving you will need a stand

rEvo has a HUD but i dont like it and much prfered the Shearwater type display.

Which ever you decide I have little doubt you will be very happy with your choice.

As for other units currently available?

A bit of an odd one but a Inspo with Narked @ 90 head on it in a G box is a great unit if you can put up with front mounted lungs. However thats Second hand only as they no longer make the heads.

Aside from that theres nothing else currently available id be interested in in terms of an ECCR.

MCCR id get a KISS

ATB

Mark

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 100M Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    IMO the Poseidon 7 is too new, you should look to buy units that have been out for 2-3yrs and the niggles ironed out, manufacturers have a habit of releasing CCR's too early and letting users do the final testing!
    Just to set the record straight here, The Poseidon 7 is the Poseidon MkVI without the niggles... ;)

The Se7en is in no way a new rebreather, contrary to what most think. Refined maybe, but new? Nah, It is the same concept as it always been.

Whatever you choose, there will always be a downside. There is no such thing as a perfect rebreather ;)

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppe_E  View Original Post
    Just to set the record straight here, The Poseidon 7 is the Poseidon MkVI without the niggles... ;)

The Se7en is in no way a new rebreather, contrary to what most think. Refined maybe, but new? Nah, It is the same concept as it always been.
    FWIW- I know this but IMO the Mk6 had So many niggles they should have skipped it and started again! So the 7 is their first attempt at a rebreather

WILDLY Off topic though... sorry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast