+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Question Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

Hello there!

I am trying to get an Arrow from DiveRite into working order, but alas, the path has many stones in its way...

As common knowledge, Farallon is out of business, and unfortunatdly, DiveRite gives me a wall of stone when asking for details...
    So no infos from the manufacturing-side...

What I am struggling with, is the original wiring of the batteries.

What I can see from what I have at hand:
    As I look at the pin-numbering defined for the powerpoles, I find that the housing for pin 1 and 3 are red, pin 2 and 4 are black.
    But when I look at the wire's colour-coding, I find that pin 1 has a yellow-green wire, as the grounding in regular power-applications, pins 2 through 4 have a black wire connected.

Unfortunately, the installation that came with the unit appear to be engineered afterwards and are in no way of the original construction.
    But...
    From what I can see in the hull, I believe this was originally the small NiMh-version, as there are marking like if there were two cylinders once installed which had the form and colour that were fretting on the hull...
    That would make sense so far...
    But...
    In the arrow's manual, I read that the NiMh-packs were in fact two batteries wired in series, that had to be charged seperatedly, and that there is supposedly a white wire which is from the thermal resistor, not used in lead-acid-application.
    If that yellow-green from pin 1 is that temperature-resistor, why are there both black / negative poles 2 & 4 wired up, as only one red / positive pole 3 can be connected...?

I would be *real* glad, if there was someone out there with the original installation still intact, so I could have a sneaky-peak on the wiring. These powerpole 2x2-connector-housings are easy to take apart and reassemble, sliding the housing aft by two inches already exposes the wiring...
    I also could just rip the whole electronic-compartment open, which would result in some more (here around expensive...) O-rings to be replaced. Which could be avoided if there was someone willing to share his knowledge with me...

I am happy for any kind of input!
    I mean, like, the folks from Farallon could not just have died, there must still be the one or other person around, who remembers a few details... Getting in touch with one of these guys to get the one or the other pointer would be more than just helpful!

Sincerely,
    Daniel

Supporting Member nicklinux is an unknown quantity at this point nicklinux's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Darwin mCCR, MK15, Hobo, Flex

Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

Hi Daniel,
    I have Dive rite Arrow and few older MK-2 and 3's. Unfortunately Farallon is a long gone and all parts are now obsolete. I had to build brush less conversion kit and locate pretty much all the parts in order to keep them alive. I'm out of town until next week, so once i get back home I can check and take some pics of the wiring. I also have manual laying around somewhere with different electrical schematics, i gonna look for it.. If I'm not mistaken there were two versions: cave with NiMh and wreck with regular lead-acid battery's. i heard some people were complaining about electronics on NiMh version but I wouldn't know since have regular wreck model which I never had any problem with. Nick

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Hi Daniel,
    I still have one, with NiMh batteries which I changed last year.
    The description is as you said: red and black and the white for the temp while charging. I suppose the battery was refitted which could be the problem.
    From each battery there's 3 wires 1red, 1black, 1white.
    Nad

DPV.JPG

DPV wires.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Danyboy  View Original Post
    Hello there!

I am trying to get an Arrow from DiveRite into working order, but alas, the path has many stones in its way...

As common knowledge, Farallon is out of business, and unfortunatdly, DiveRite gives me a wall of stone when asking for details...
    So no infos from the manufacturing-side...

What I am struggling with, is the original wiring of the batteries.

What I can see from what I have at hand:
    As I look at the pin-numbering defined for the powerpoles, I find that the housing for pin 1 and 3 are red, pin 2 and 4 are black.
    But when I look at the wire's colour-coding, I find that pin 1 has a yellow-green wire, as the grounding in regular power-applications, pins 2 through 4 have a black wire connected.

Unfortunately, the installation that came with the unit appear to be engineered afterwards and are in no way of the original construction.
    But...
    From what I can see in the hull, I believe this was originally the small NiMh-version, as there are marking like if there were two cylinders once installed which had the form and colour that were fretting on the hull...
    That would make sense so far...
    But...
    In the arrow's manual, I read that the NiMh-packs were in fact two batteries wired in series, that had to be charged seperatedly, and that there is supposedly a white wire which is from the thermal resistor, not used in lead-acid-application.
    If that yellow-green from pin 1 is that temperature-resistor, why are there both black / negative poles 2 & 4 wired up, as only one red / positive pole 3 can be connected...?

I would be *real* glad, if there was someone out there with the original installation still intact, so I could have a sneaky-peak on the wiring. These powerpole 2x2-connector-housings are easy to take apart and reassemble, sliding the housing aft by two inches already exposes the wiring...
    I also could just rip the whole electronic-compartment open, which would result in some more (here around expensive...) O-rings to be replaced. Which could be avoided if there was someone willing to share his knowledge with me...

I am happy for any kind of input!
    I mean, like, the folks from Farallon could not just have died, there must still be the one or other person around, who remembers a few details... Getting in touch with one of these guys to get the one or the other pointer would be more than just helpful!

Sincerely,
    Daniel

RBW Member Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy will become famous soon enough Danyboy's Avatar
    Poseidon Discovery

Smile Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

Hello Nad!
    Thank you very much for your input!
    I am curious then, how the batteries connect to the electronics?
    Since with each battery, there is a four-pole connector with three wires, but only one four-pole connector with four wires from the electronics? Perhaps you can tell me a little more about each connector from the battery to the electronics?
    Maybe there is an adaptor which wires up the battery into a 4-pin connection?
    To clear that up, are your batteries 12V and then wired in series or 24V each and then connected in parallel?
    You wouldn't have a second set of such batteries lying around, which I could dispose for you? ;)
    What I interprete from your pictures, that there's three wires coming from one battery and another three wires from the second battery, all going in that 4-pole connector? Would you mind to open the connector's housing to have a look at how they're wired up? All it takes is to push that silver pin out, and the remove the clamp that holds the wires in the connector, relieving any strain, and then you can easily slide that black housing aft which gives you access to see how the wires go in which which terminal.. I think I have an idea of how the wires are hooked-up, it would be great if you can confirm that by snatching a picture of that open connector
    If it's easier, just give me a shout by PM so we can get in contact by email.

Hello Nick,
    Also a big Thank you to you!
    Having a look in the original wiring diagrams would certainly eliminate some questions!
    I do concur that there were NiMh and lead-acid versions. But weren't there two sub-versions of the NiMh? A 'regular' version with the capacity of 20Ah (endurance of about 60-90mins) and a long-range with a double of these figures?
    Since I miss about 10cm / 4" in length when I want to put two 18Ah-lead-acid with the original retaining-bracket in place, which holds the batteries in the hull, I think that the long-range NiMh shared the same hull as the lead-acid, while the regular NiMh had a shorter body to compensate for the substantial decrease in weight over the lead-acid.
    Is there any information to support this theory?

To confirm we're having the same base for discussion:
    When I put my hull with its sealing-surface on the ground, it stands about 75cm / 30" tall
    You guys having all the same?

Looking forward to your answers!

Sincerely,
    Daniel
    Last edited by Danyboy; 5th February 2014 at 12:14.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar

There's just 4-pole connectors, the two white wires are separated.
    Every battery has his own set of wires of which just the Black one and the Red one are connected to the electronic.
    I'm sorry but I don't have any spare but I send you PM the adresse where I did mine.
    Best,
    Nad

Poseidon Discovery

Cool Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

Finally I managed to get the picture attached - I did not realise the pixel-size limit...

Nad,
    Here's a snap of the wiring from my connector that goes to the electronics, can you perhaps take a similar shot of the connector from your battery?
    When you look at the mating-side of the connectors, rotate it so the 'A' on their faces are upside down, then the upper left is pin 1, upper right pin 2, lower left pin 3, lower right pin 4.
    Which wire goes where?
    Do I understand correctly, that the white wires are only connected for charging, and are not connected in any way to the electronics?

Cheers,
    Dany
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Danyboy; 5th February 2014 at 12:38.

Finally I managed to get the picture attached - I did not realise the pixel-size limit...

Nad,
    Here's a snap of the wiring from my connector that goes to the electronics, can you perhaps take a similar shot of the connector from your battery?
    When you look at the mating-side of the connectors, rotate it so the 'A' on their faces are upside down, then the upper left is pin 1, upper right pin 2, lower left pin 3, lower right pin 4.
    Which wire goes where?
    Do I understand correctly, that the white wires are only connected for charging, and are not connected in any way to the electronics?

Cheers,
    Dany
    Dany see the picture attached. From the Electronic you have 4 wires (1 yellow and 3 black). The yellow go to the bottom left red connector.

White wires are just for charging.
    Nad
    DPVconn.jpg

Poseidon Discovery

Question Re: Reaching out to owners of a DiveRite Arrow

Nad,

copy that! :)

When looking at your picture, where do the red and black wires from each battery connect to?

Did you have the chance to take the height / length of your hull yet?

Cheers, Dany
    Last edited by Danyboy; 5th February 2014 at 14:02.

Nad,

copy that! :)

When looking at your picture, where do the red and black wires from each battery connect to?

Did you have the chance to take the height / length of your hull yet?

Cheers, Dany
    With the red and black wires from the electronic!!
    The yellow wire connect (red connector) with the red wire coming from the battery pack below. I have two battery packs.

The Height of the Hull itself is around 70cm (the DPV is around 1m).
    Nad

Poseidon Discovery

So in other words to see whether I understand right, one battery's red and black goes into the upper two terminals (red and black respectively), and ther battery's red and black go into the lower two terminals (red and black respectively as well), correct?

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast