+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mouthpiece options?

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

Mouthpiece options?

The one thing I have always hated about diving in general is the standard regulator mouthpiece. They just never feel right and I always have changed them.

On my first reg set I used a SeaCure that wasn't the "X-type" mouthpiece. Loved it! On my latest OC set I used a "X-type" and I'm less than thrilled with the feel & fit.

During my training I installed a generic ComfoBite mouthpiece that was on sale at the shop....6 bucks or something like that. It was OK, better than a regular mouthpiece but not amazing.

What are you guys using for yours? My unit has a Hollis BOV.

RBW Member sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road sailor's Avatar
    TR300c hCCR, Ray mCCR

Dolphin, Inspiration Vision

Re: Mouthpiece options?

Hi,

most rebreather units come with quite uncomfortable mouthpieces.
    In general they have quite big bite-studs in order to keep the teeth wider open.
    This is to keep the WOB low and prevent buildup of CO2.
    It's a good idea to consider this issue when changing your rebreathers mouthpiece to a customized one.
    When using a seacure mouthpiece make sure to mold it in a way to keep the teeth as wide open as with the stock mouthpiece.

Reiner

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

So the Mares Jax is a bad ideal. Leaks too much for me.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

try the real thing comfobite from Apeks thats all I use
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Mouthpiece options?

If the seacure was softer around the location it meets the DSV or BOV and made a better seal it would be perfect. I found it to leak at times.

If your not doing anything serious it's fine but when I went cave diving in average flow it was too much and leaked.

Garth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiss Spirit LTE

I abhor the new SeaCure material. It feels cheap and uncomfortable. I had high hopes for the Jax but it leaks too much.

RBW Member Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point Chris_H's Avatar
    KISS Classic

I just got out of the water with the new Sea Cure X type (I think that is an Jaguar?). It didn't work well for me at all. There is a ridge around the new one that wasn't on the older model and I'm thinking the water was getting in where my lips didn't seal well on that ridge.
    I'm leaning toward going back to my original Sea-Cure with a touch of RTV to help seal it to the BOV.
    I don't care for the comfobite mouthpiece at all.
    I also tried the Dräger with the strap.

Next...

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

Mouthpiece options?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_H  View Original Post
    I just got out of the water with the new Sea Cure X type (I think that is an Jaguar?). It didn't work well for me at all. There is a ridge around the new one that wasn't on the older model and I'm thinking the water was getting in where my lips didn't seal well on that ridge.

I'm leaning toward going back to my original Sea-Cure with a touch of RTV to help seal it to the BOV.

I don't care for the comfobite mouthpiece at all.

I also tried the Dräger with the strap.

Next...

I went with the new Sea Cure 4 and after Fri. 2 hour and 10 min. dive my gums where too sore for me to enjoy dinner. The ridge was the culprit so I took a razor blade knife and trimmed the ridge down a little. I had also taken my homemade chin rest off of the Shrimp BOV but have now put it back. Between the chin rest and trimming of the ridge on the Sea-Cure I hope to enjoy my next dive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Mouthpiece options?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDiver  View Original Post
    I went with the new Sea Cure 4 and after Fri. 2 hour and 10 min. dive my gums where too sore for me to enjoy dinner. The ridge was the culprit so I took a razor blade knife and trimmed the ridge down a little. I had also taken my homemade chin rest off of the Shrimp BOV but have now put it back. Between the chin rest and trimming of the ridge on the Sea-Cure I hope to enjoy my next dive.

Hey Fred, don't you think that a manufacturer should look at making a chin rest? I had a piece of foam that I thought was great until I seemed to have lost it. I need to make another.

Thanks
    Garth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

Mouthpiece options?

Yea it makes a big different's when using a BOV as compared to a DSV. I don't know why I took my off except that once I put my new Sea-Cure mouth piece on I thought it looked tacky. My is made out of 1/2 inch vinyl tubing held on with 1/8 inch bungee cord.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast