+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just About Ready For Prime-Time .....

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Just About Ready For Prime-Time ..... My Next Gen HUD Controller

Well, it's just about ready for in-water testing. Individual modules have survived the pressure pot. (at least those that can be tested that way)

I'm very pleased with the way the redesigned aspects have turned out. .... After being really bummed out a couple weeks ago, (we don't talk about delrin in my house any more) I'm now totally optimistic again.

Making the tripple LCD PO2 display module a remote from the main HUD controller module works a treat. Using the 2V range, 5V supply, DPMs makes for a very nice handset, since the calibration is in the driver amp module in the controller housing.

The controller and a healthy sized battery pack is now housed in a custom Sartek canister. Manny thanks to Carl! I've yet to decide if it'll waist belt mount, or mount on a G-Snap where the original Drager tank mounted. I'll have to just see which works better.

Here's a couple pics, so you can see what you think.
    Last edited by Scuba_Vixen; 13th May 2006 at 03:53.

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Re: Just About Ready For Prime-Time .....

Here's a few pics of the remote display / handset module.

Longbottom Time RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL is a glorious beacon of light RAL's Avatar

Re: Just About Ready For Prime-Time ..... My Next Gen HUD Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Vixen
    Well, it's just about ready for in-water testing. Individual modules have survived the pressure pot. (at least those that can be tested that way)

I'm very pleased with the way the redesigned aspects have turned out. .... After being really bummed out a couple weeks ago, (we don't talk about delrin in my house any more) I'm now totally optimistic again.

Making the tripple LCD PO2 display module a remote from the main HUD controller module works a treat. Using the 2V range, 5V supply, DPMs makes for a very nice handset, since the calibration is in the driver amp module in the controller housing.

The controller and a healthy sized battery pack is now housed in a custom Sartek canister. Manny thanks to Carl! I've yet to decide if it'll waist belt mount, or mount on a G-Snap where the original Drager tank mounted. I'll have to just see which works better.

Here's a couple pics, so you can see what you think.
    Brovo! Looks to be a pretty slick set up! What did it set you back if I may be so bold as to ask?

Regards RAL

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Thumbs up Re: Just About Ready For Prime-Time .....

WOW! :D No kidding about the prime time, Darlene, the setup looks great.
    The new handset turned out very nice, congratulations.
    Really hope it works as good as it all looks.

Quote Originally Posted by RAL
    Brovo! Looks to be a pretty slick set up! What did it set you back if I may be so bold as to ask?

Regards RAL
    Are you asking about the whole setup, or the display handset in particular?

I stopped counting dollar$ a good while back. I had too much $ into it not to get it right and make it work out. Besides, there's nothing else like it already available for the Dolphin, so it had to work.

It's like any new product, in a way, there's a lot of R&D and some trial and reject. I have a box full of spare parts and alterante parts now. There's the original display module, and this nice delrin box that with a slot added might make a dandy piggy bank. Did I mention the hundreds of hours invested ......

Once you've made the first one, two, or maybe three of something, you have it dialed in pretty well. Certainly if I built another one (more processor, memory, software calibration, etc.) it would go a lot easier, as I've got the foundation layed already.

There's also room for a solenoid, if I want to go that route.

Darlene

Dude Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M has a spectacular aura about Andy M's Avatar

That looks very yummy. What material did you use for the handset in the end? Is there any room to put a switch or two of some sort?

RBW Member jknights is on a distinguished road jknights is on a distinguished road jknights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Vixen
    Are you asking about the whole setup, or the display handset in particular?

I stopped counting dollar$ a good while back. I had too much $ into it not to get it right and make it work out. Besides, there's nothing else like it already available for the Dolphin, so it had to work.

It's like any new product, in a way, there's a lot of R&D and some trial and reject. I have a box full of spare parts and alterante parts now. There's the original display module, and this nice delrin box that with a slot added might make a dandy piggy bank. Did I mention the hundreds of hours invested ......

Once you've made the first one, two, or maybe three of something, you have it dialed in pretty well. Certainly if I built another one (more processor, memory, software calibration, etc.) it would go a lot easier, as I've got the foundation layed already.

There's also room for a solenoid, if I want to go that route.

Darlene
    Nice work Darlene.

Now to enjoy all your hard work and grief over the leaky box.

Next project to put some lines of code in the PIC to fire a solenoid
    eCCR Dolphin ?

New Member Triton is on a distinguished road Triton is on a distinguished road Triton's Avatar

very well done... very neat and looks super sturdy!!
    I am also interested in what materials you used in the end pls?

rgds

Quote Originally Posted by Andy M
    That looks very yummy. What material did you use for the handset in the end? Is there any room to put a switch or two of some sort?
    The housing for the handset is 1.25" thick acrylic, with the lid made from 1/2" thick polycarbonate.

The acrylic is leftover from the 12" X 12" piece I bought for the lid to the pressure pot which required an 8" X 8" piece.

The polycarbonate is leftover from the 12" X 12" pieces of 3/8" and 1/2" pieces I bought for the lid to the original delrin housing.

The display module finished dimension after potting is 3/4" thick, so that leaves a 1/2" thickness in the bottom acrylic, the sides are 9/16".

The 2 magnetic reed switches are still wired into the controller module, so a magnet outside the canister can turn the system off. The HUD / controller and the remote display and it's amp board are on seperate switches.

Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by jknights
    Nice work Darlene.

Now to enjoy all your hard work and grief over the leaky box.

Next project to put some lines of code in the PIC to fire a solenoid
    eCCR Dolphin ?
    There's room in the canister for a solenoid. ..... *If* I build a 3rd generation controller, it will be eCCR capable, and able to be calibrated without opening the canister.

While fairly easy to impliment software calibration on the controller, it isn't applicable to the amp board which is how the displays get calibrated. Using digital pots and reed switches, however, would work on the amp board and controller both, so I'd likely do it that way, unless I get a better idea. :D

Maybe that'll be next winter's project.

Darlene

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast