+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Often Fancied it but dont know where to start

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Often Fancied it but dont know where to start

Well guys,,,

Where would be the best place for some one to start havign a go at Cave diving - have often fancied it but just dont know how to start.

Are there any good UK Locations for a try a cave dive?

What sort of additional skills are needed, other than a nice non silting kick!

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Where would be the best place for some one to start havign a go at cave diving - have often fancied it but just dont know how to start.
    Two routes - mentoring through the CDG - free, but you need to get in with the right people or do a commercial course - e.g. with Martyn Farr http://www.farrworld.co.uk - if you just want to "have a go" then the CDG is not the place for you, your tutors will have to be sure that you are worth the effort to train. I've had quite a few apprentices and they are now part of my regular cave diving team.

There are several flooded mines with relatively easy access and good visibility. There a are few easy access natural springs but the rest of the cave diving sites require a willingness to go caving to get to the water.

Good lights, redundant equipment and the ability to look after oneself.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar
    thanks for that duncan very informative - Is there any where that does a Try Dive type of thing....Some of thos epictures on the Farr site look stunning!

thanks for that Duncan very informative - Is there any where that does a Try Dive type of thing....Some of those pictures on the Farr site look stunning!
    Not that I'm aware of - cave diving is not an activity to be undertaken lightly. Best talk nicely to a cave diver and ask him/her to take you somewhere relatively innocuous.

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

thanks for that duncan very informative - Is there any where that does a Try Dive type of thing....Some of thos epictures on the Farr site look stunning!
    There are guided dives in Mexican cenotes, and they are spectacular.
    Check the link to Protech in Mexico I posted, Matt and his crew offer them.
    Bit of a way, but great viz, nice temps, and Cozumel is just a ferry ride away. ;)

Have dived mexico three times but never tried it - I think I will next time Thanks for the idea!!

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Depends on what you enjoy.... some cave for exploration and wouldnt be seen dead in a tourist cave, some for fun (me) some I think just so they can say "Im a cave diver me" ;)

The thing with caving is not just the elevated level of skills, its also about learning the cave environment (which IMHO is priceless).

UK caving is very different from caving in florida/france/mexico etc.... you'd do best to pick duncans brains on that one.

If you just want an experience, why not do an intro to OHE course?

The other route is the mentoring approach, which has pro's and con's. IF you're of this mindset, just make sure you question everything and pick your mentors carefully.

Personally, I'd recommend a course, given that this is IMHO something worth learning properly. If its CCR cave, I'd strongly recommend Martin Robson/Phill Short.

Im sure Duncan will be along shortly to fill in and give a more balanced view :)

/Zak

PS. menorca is ok if you want a "taster" of caves, they're short and easy out there

Well guys,,,

Where would be the best place for some one to start havign a go at Cave diving - have often fancied it but just dont know how to start.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by wreckweasel
    Depends on what you enjoy.... some cave for exploration and wouldnt be seen dead in a tourist cave, some for fun (me) some I think just so they can say "Im a cave diver me" ;)

UK caving is very different from caving in florida/france/mexico etc.... you'd do best to pick Duncan's brains on that one.

If you just want an experience, why not do an intro to OHE course?

The other route is the mentoring approach, which has pro's and con's. IF you're of this mindset, just make sure you question everything and pick your mentors carefully.

Personally, I'd recommend a course, given that this is IMHO something worth learning properly. If its CCR cave, I'd strongly recommend Martin Robson/Phill Short.
    Exploration is very much part of the UK cave diver's mindset and those that cave dive over here tend to be drawn from the caving community.

There are however a lot of British divers who have done courses abroad (France/Florida) and who regularly return there to tourist dive where the conditions are far more pleasant.

An intro course here with Martyn Farr or something offered by Martin Robson or Phill Short (all of whom are CDG Qualified in addition to whatever commercial agency they operate under) would be a good start.

Personally, I wouldn't mentor anyone who was only after some sort of ego trip. Cuts both ways. The CDG has enough knobheads already. Furthermore, the mentoring system works best for those from a caving background where there is an established culture of learning skills from your contemporaries rather than by doing a formal course.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

You really want to have the right mindset for CCR cave. Some of the unit problems/issues you've endured wouldnt be too clever in a real overhead :)

If you want instructor recommendations, personally I'd plump for Phill Short or Martin Robson.

I certainly wouldnt recommend menorca for a full cave... maybe intro etc

New Member dalegray has a little shameless behaviour in the past dalegray's Avatar
    I did my full cave with Martyn Farr then went on to join the CDG, after gaining some Caving experiance, for people approaching Cave Diving from the diving end rather than the Caving end, this is a good way of getting started.

I also heared some scare stories about the attitude of the CDG towards Tec divers, but this did not apear, they have been more than accomodating.

I have not yet taken a CCR into british caves (unless you count Hodge Close) but that is my project for this summer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast