+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Statement from the Chairman of the NSS-CDS regarding the Christmas day incident at Ea

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Statement from the Chairman of the NSS-CDS regarding the Christmas day incident at Ea

An American Tragedy | National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section

Statement from the Chairman of the NSS-CDS regarding the Christmas day incident at Eagles Nest.

Warmest Regards
    TJ

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Re: Statement from the Chairman of the NSS-CDS regarding the Christmas day incident a

As I said on TDS, you can lead the horse to the trough, but you cannot make it drink.

They have been warned but ignored it.

If the dive community as a whole as a responsibility to the individual, then the individual, too, has a responsibility to the community.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Re: Statement from the Chairman of the NSS-CDS regarding the Christmas day incident a

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    As I said on TDS, you can lead the horse to the trough, but you cannot make it drink.
    Amen

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

I heard about the incident, but have yet to find much in the way of trusted information. Was the father/son the only 2 divers? Please post links so I can reference at the next DC meeting.

Terrible what the family must be going through and from here forward on what is supposed to be a happy time of year.

Drivers are required to use seat belt for established safety reasons and face fines for not doing so. Yet, many still perish by disregarding or overestimating their abilities. And children follow examples set by elders.

However if the adult gets a costly ticket, the fools usually scream "money making conspiracies", nosy government oversight, become braggarts etc. Few are mature to admit the error and take to heart the intent of "dos-don't dos" which trickle down to the innocent. The young next generation are following our lead, be it unsafe practices or the wisdom to make a right choice.

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Excuse me, but comparing not complying with Buckle up law and diving with no training into a cave at depth of 200'plus on air without a guideline with a minor is somewhat completely inadequate!

It is not the ballpark at all it is not even the same sport!

Not buckling up and doing 160 mph heading towards a solid wall is about similar!
    There are no laws necessary to tell you that this is not a good idea!

Sorry for being so frank, but it is just plain stupid nothing else.
    There will always be people who act plain stupid no matter what the laws and rules might be!

Yes if people knew that this dive was going to happen and they did nothing about it, they should strongly reconsider their attitude, but other than that there is nothing to learn from this accident (I am even having trouble calling it an accident)!

P.S: I am terribly sorry for the family! I am terribly sorry for the kid! What a tragedy!
    I am not sorry at all for the father!
    Last edited by Nitrogenius; 11th January 2014 at 02:01.

RBW Member dspe is an unknown quantity at this point dspe's Avatar

It terrible for the family even worse when a kid is lost ,but it looks just like skiing people go where the should not but think they are able to go i am afaid we cannot stop this its just sad !!

Pucks & sharks! hroark2112 is an unknown quantity at this point hroark2112's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit LTE

Kiss Sport, DiveRite O2ptima

There's a big thread on Scubaboard with links to news stories.

Deaths at Eagles Nest - Homosassa FL

Sadly, after reading everything in the news and watching interviews, no intervention short of putting the guy behind bars was going to save the two of them. He even had his girlfriend thinking he was 100% safe and would never push limits.

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

I find it odd that people aren't looking at the community to question how these two came to be in Eagles nest, how they got their fills and who was enabling them to cave dive.

If I understand it correctly

- they had been loaned gear by an instructor and / or shop previously.

- it wasn't their first cave dive at Eagles nest

- They had done several cave dives at other sites.

This doesn't strike me as the more typical open water divers in a recreational poodle jacket and UK light cannon wandering into a cave without a guideline. The photo I saw showed 2 divers in reasonable configuration, with marked stages / deco tanks and a look of 'tech' about them.

Perhaps as a community we need to ensure we don't 'enable' untrained divers to dives that could get them into trouble?

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBrown  View Original Post
    The photo I saw showed 2 divers in reasonable configuration, with marked stages / deco tanks and a look of 'tech' about them.
    Well that might be your explanation right there..
    Diving in the US (I have to admit that is still fairly limited - app. 20 dives or so) depending on gear from shops etc. I had never ever been asked for any cert as long as you made a well enough informed impression..

As I stated before, if people really knew what was going on they strongly need to reconsider their attitude..

+ Reply to Thread