+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with a Caustic Cocktail

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

How to deal with a Caustic Cocktail

Hello Everyone!

Here is an another article on the AddHelium website. This time on how to handle the rare but potentially dangerous event of a caustic cocktail.

Wishing that nobody ever finds him/herself in that situation!

Safe Diving:)

The Spurned Nip: A ?Caustic Cocktail? - Add Helium
    Last edited by dreamdive; 1st November 2013 at 19:19.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: How to deal with a Caustic Cocktail

Hi Claudia,

Years ago I was with another diver, we had a very long surface swim. Out of nowhere he decided to descend before me. Little did he know or for that matter I didn't know either his loop was left partially open during the surface swim.

To make a long story short his Caustic cocktail did not turn out to be a full-blown episode. For his sake he bailed out quick enough and did not get huge dose of the stuff. Of course the whole way back on the surface swim and on the boat he was spitting up a lot. The article you wrote is a good reminder that these things do of course happen sometimes in large and small degrees. Thank you very much for posting this article as it's a reminder to all of us how to react and what precautionary steps to take in the event that this situation happens to anyone of us or anyone of our dive buddies.

Best regards
    Last edited by Chett.L; 2nd November 2013 at 05:39.
    Chett. L

Jst anothr Breather Diver Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius's Avatar
    rEvo III rms

Inspo HH + classic Dolphin Ray

Thanks Claudia!
    Very helpful.. I guess without this read I would not have thought of Coke/Pepsi in such an event..

Capt/ Instructor
    tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1's Avatar
    SF2 | rEvo

PRISM Topaz

How to deal with a Caustic Cocktail

Great educational piece, Claudia! Thanks for sharing it.
    -Capt Tom McCarthy
    Stone Rust | East Coast Wreck Diving
    SF2 | rEvo
    Training | Charters | Equipment

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

good simple way of dealing with it ..great article ..............

RBW Member Brummkreisel is an unknown quantity at this point Brummkreisel's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Submatix SMS

what's missing is that it will take some time to get rid of the lovely taste of this coctail. Luckily I could spit out my coctail but it took a lot of water to rinse my mouth until the ugly taste was gone ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brummkreisel  View Original Post
    what's missing is that it will take some time to get rid of the lovely taste of this coctail. Luckily I could spit out my coctail but it took a lot of water to rinse my mouth until the ugly taste was gone ...
    Breath mints anyone??
    Yeah, guess it fried some of your taste buds, too.

RBW Member Brummkreisel is an unknown quantity at this point Brummkreisel's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Submatix SMS

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    Breath mints anyone??
    Do you know how the ingredients will react with the cocktail? Me not. Thus I tried to dilute the rest in my mouth as much as possible before drinking/eating something else.

Of course not and you are totally correct:)
    After the washout either by dilution or neutralization, you still have some form of tissue damage. I believe in treating our sensory factors kindly, especially after having incurred damage.

Glad you got it out before it could cause you some more serious damage! I wish more people would post their personal experience with their caustic cocktail. We can all learn from this!

BTW, your name reminds me of one of my favorite toys:):).......when I was a kid:)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Del  View Original Post
    I would like to know the source for the recommendation to use coke / pepsi to decontaminate a caustic injury. Initially, I was heartened by seeing some footnoting, but VERY disappointed to see it lead to a high school-type chemistry formula.

Can the author please supply some justification? If we are to take this seriously, then there needs to be some sort of evidence base for these.

Other medical professionals seem very happy to reference their advice.

cheers

Andy
    Sure Andy. I have included a reference for using vinegar.

Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 May;111(6):1918-21.
    The treatment of alkaline burns of the skin by neutralization.

Andrews K, Mowlavi A, Milner SM.
    Source

Institute of Plastic Surgery, Southern Illinois University, Springfield, Ill 62794, USA.

Although Pepsi/Coke is a bit less acidic than vinegar, it's Ph is still around 2.5. Soft drinks are probably more commonly available than vinegar, as well. The idea is to neutralize the alkali. Any mild acid will do.

Hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Claudia

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast