+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rEvo III FT RMS & Lithium 9V's

RBW Member deepblueseaz is an unknown quantity at this point deepblueseaz's Avatar
    Purchase Pending

rEvo III FT RMS & Lithium 9V's

Hello guys, a couple of quick questions concerning my new rEvo;

• are there any issues/concerns with using a 9 volt lithium battery instead of an alkaline battery in my unit? I was just wondering if there are any thermal or off-gassing concerns, seeing as the battery is in a sealed small volume compartment
    • how often should I be having to change this battery? (I'm still new to the unit)
    • off topic - I'm thinking of switching to a Nomad XT wing - is there any additional hardware required beyond of the stock Dive Rite wing/harness? does it just "bolt" right on, or is there a backplate req'd?
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

kirk

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Re: rEvo III FT RMS & Lithium 9V's

Feedback from Paul on an earlier post is its not approved yet. Need to wait for Pauls blessing.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Feedback from Paul on an earlier post is its not approved yet. Need to wait for Pauls blessing.
    we have been looking into this for some time already

if something goes wrong, the amount of energy in lithium batteries is ofcourse far far higher compared to alkaline
    for that reason we started to install an extra protection in the battery packs: a polyfuse (automatically resettable fuse if the current drawn is to high, to protect both the battery and the electronics)
    all battery boxes that have a black heat shrink on the red battery wire, have this protection
    (all units supplied from roughly mid 2012)

I have been testing not 9V, but dual 3.6V Saft, the ones you use in the predator/petrel: this combination gives roughly a 5x longer battery life compared to alkaline 9V (as you only need a minimum of 6V for the solenoid also)

this testing is not final yet, but it seems to work nicely. we have no feedback that it gives problems, but maybe it has not been tested long enough

so at this moment our advise is: IF YOUR BATTERY BOX HAS THE POLYFUSE INSTALLED, you could use it at your own risk, we don't think it is a problem, but we cannot garantee it

so you must have black heat shrink on the red battery wire, indicating the box has the polyfuse (eiter under the heatshrink, either on the PCB)

paul
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by deepblueseaz  View Original Post
    Hello guys, a couple of quick questions concerning my new rEvo;

• are there any issues/concerns with using a 9 volt lithium battery instead of an alkaline battery in my unit? I was just wondering if there are any thermal or off-gassing concerns, seeing as the battery is in a sealed small volume compartment
    • how often should I be having to change this battery? (I'm still new to the unit)
    • off topic - I'm thinking of switching to a Nomad XT wing - is there any additional hardware required beyond of the stock Dive Rite wing/harness? does it just "bolt" right on, or is there a backplate req'd?
    Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

kirk
    Regarding the 9 V lithium battery. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of technical logistics/reliability and compatibility with the unit.

As you know many of us go through regular 9 V batteries all the time.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Quote Originally Posted by paulraymaekers  View Original Post
    I have been testing not 9V, but dual 3.6V Saft, the ones you use in the predator/petrel: this combination gives roughly a 5x longer battery life compared to alkaline 9V (as you only need a minimum of 6V for the solenoid also
    paul
    Hi Pauly
    Can you please show some ideas how you have this mounted, I have the fuse on the 9v battery cap, do I need to change this to being inline in the wire prior to switching to the 3.6V Safts ?

If so can you please shoot Damo some of the fuses so i can solder them in.

Cheers
    Chriso

RBW Member Sambo is an unknown quantity at this point Sambo's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Re: Re: rEvo III FT RMS & Lithium 9V's

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post
    Hi Pauly
    Can you please show some ideas how you have this mounted, I have the fuse on the 9v battery cap, do I need to change this to being inline in the wire prior to switching to the 3.6V Safts ?

If so can you please shoot Damo some of the fuses so i can solder them in.

Cheers
    Chriso
    Chriso if you have the black heatshrink on the red wire it means you have the poly fuse in the potted electronics in your battery box. Not on the 9v battery cap. I have not used the 2 saft batteries but I believe you do not need to modify anything. Just get a 2 AA battery holder with the 9v connection on the end. Insert the 2 saft batteries and away you go. Make sure you have the fuse first.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

Last edited by uwxplorer; 8th October 2013 at 15:17.

RBW Member Sambo is an unknown quantity at this point Sambo's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

Try something like this. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/390594940189?lpid=87

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

RBW Member uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer is on a distinguished road uwxplorer's Avatar
    rEvo mini III Hybrid rMS

I am not sure why my last edit did not get through, but I meant to point at that (the link I posted requires additional parts to make it 9V connectorized).
    I meant to point at this, which looks very similar to what you are referring to:

BC22AASF | 2 AA Battery Holder | Batteryholders.com | MPD

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Thanks Gentlemen
    Definitely going to be swapping to SAFT's for trips with longer than 20 hours diving planned, that's what I get on a 9v for continuous day to day diving.