+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cochran Rebreather?

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Cochran Rebreather?

Hi All,

I ran across this when looking up Cochran for something else on the web:

http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=10503

Did Cochran ever bring it to market? It had some interesting features for the time. For instance, the article mentions CO2 monitoring.

Just wondering, I figured someone here would know about it.

Steve

Johnny The Hatch Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad is just really nice Johnny Bekkestad's Avatar
    CCR2000, Megalodon, Homebuilt

Norge, FGT, mk15, KISS, Inspo

Re: Cochran Rebreather?

If i am not totally wrong. Then i know i will be corrected by lots of guys in here :o

The Cochran never actually hit the market, but it did evolve into the Prism.
    Though to this day there is not publicly available rebreather with a CO2 monitor.

/Jonny

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyB
    The Cochran never actually hit the market, but it did evolve into the Prism.
    The Readeys tried for years to find someone to build their PRISM with.
    In mid nineties they were working with Cochran. A couple of pictures of those
    units can be found on SMI's website in the general collection.
    In '99 the PRISM came to the market as a Steam Machine.

Cochran went on for several years showing the CCR pictured below at dive shows. I asked them about it last DEMA and was told the prototypes were still around but further development was not a high priority for the company.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by caveseeker7; 10th May 2006 at 20:05. Reason: corrected date

RBW Member leadking is on a distinguished road leadking is on a distinguished road leadking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    Hi All,

I ran across this when looking up Cochran for something else on the web:

http://www.sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=10503

Did Cochran ever bring it to market? It had some interesting features for the time. For instance, the article mentions CO2 monitoring.

Just wondering, I figured someone here would know about it.

Steve
    It was being developed by Oceanic. Thet got into a dispute about training standards and safety issues, sued the hell out of each other and that ended the project. Bob claims it cost him over a million $. Oceanic is now developing rebreathers for the military with on board co sensors.
    Last edited by leadking; 10th May 2006 at 14:00.

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

I saw the units at DEMA in the late 90's and even signed up for a class that did not happen. There were some neat features. Water dumps at the very bottom of the CL's. Peter Readey was employed with Cochran at the time.
    Bill

Rb Aficionado SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leadking
    It was being developed by Oceanic. Thet got into a dispute about training standards and safety issues, sued the hell out of each other and that ended the project. Bob claims it cost him over a million $. Oceanic is now developing rebreathers for the military with on board co sensors.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought the 'Phibian' was the only rebreather Oceanic was developing in the late 90' with the help of stuart clough that never released into the market due to reliability issue and Both were suing each other at that time. The whole project costed Bob Hollis something like $2.5 million.

Cheers

Wei Lan

I do all my own stunts shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back is just really nice shell-back's Avatar

Damn, Bob has a lot of money:D

Stefan Besier caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS

(still owned) MK15

Probabaly 2 million on the lawyers and the rest on the entire Phibian project.

Subsea Systems koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai is just really nice koputai's Avatar

It was actually 1993 when the Phibian came to Australia. And one of them is still here.

Jason.

Rb Aficionado SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS is a jewel in the rough SINUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koputai
    It was actually 1993 when the Phibian came to Australia. And one of them is still here.

Jason.
    Thanks jason, you are right, got mixed up with the date. I actually saw the prototype up close during a dive expo in Asia.

Cheers

Wei Lan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast