+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to "Step Up" the excitement in diving

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

How to "Step Up" the excitement in diving

Yesterday after work, I joined a friend on his boat for a quick drop on the Hydro Atlantic (170' to the sand). We have done a fair bit of diving together and are comfortable with each other in the water and know each others dive protocols and habits.

We got to the site and dropped anchor. We snagged the wreck the first time and there was almost no current at all. The water wasn't very clear and the swell was about 2'. We began to gear up and get ready to drop in. I was going to go first and we would meet at 20' on the anchor line for our usual bubble check before finishing the descent. Everything went as planned right up until the moment that I realized that I was kicking my ass off and still not going to make it to the anchor line. The current was not that strong and I was completely confused on why I wasn't moving worth a damn. I quickly checked to see if my BO tanks had slipped out of their bungees and causing excessive drag (that has happened before). I dropped about 2' below the surface to get out of the swell to see if that would help. At this point I was only about 7-8 foot from the line and just kicked like hell until both of my calves cramped up and I couldn't go any further. I was drifting slightly away from the boat and not going in the direction of out tag line either. I was screwed and knew it. There was no way in hell that I was going to get to the anchor line or back to the boat. Surfacing to yell at my buddy to not jump was too late in the plan since I knew he would already have jumped. I was breathing like when having really good sex and was sweating my ass off too.

I made a quick judgement call and dumped my wing to drop to the sand. As I was dropping I took a compass reading for the direction of the anchor heading (where the wreck was). By the time I got to the bottom, my breathing was relaxed, my legs were no longer hurting, and I was thermally comfortable again. I began pulling along the bottom and kicking towards the wreck. The visibility sucked and I didn't see any sign of the wreck. I began to wonder about how long I should swim before I give up and shoot a bag for my ascent. At about 13 minutes into the dive I saw my buddies light and knew that things were going to be OK after all.

We did a nice dive and checked out a few nooks and crannies before heading back up. The temp at depth was 73 and it was 78 at deco.

Our anchor snagged on a rock as we were doing our drift deco under the boat. With 18 minutes of deco left, I elected to go back down and free it up. I tryed to carry the anchor up higher on the line to secure it but was too exhausted and just sent it to the surface with a lift bag. I scurried back up the line to finish my deco and was surprised to find I was only penalized by 8 minutes for my extra descent. After completing my deco and getting to the surface, my legs cramped up the worse that I have ever had. I yelled at my buddy and he threw me a line to pull me to the back of the boat.

Rather uneventful after that. We did discuss a couple of protocols for future use.

This is just another fine example of a justification to have a compass on you whenever diving in open water.

Before Ya'all flame the crap out of me for not aborting immediately, read the first paragraph again !!!!

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

If you want to know how I really feel then this link is for you:

MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS AND IDEAS

Don't blame me if you don't like what you see!
    Last edited by Dsix36; 18th May 2013 at 17:51.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Jim Clark is an unknown quantity at this point Jim Clark's Avatar
    KISS Sidekick CCR

Re: How to "Step Up" the excitement in diving

About 20'-30' of line attached to the stern with a float at the far end will give you another option when getting in or out of the water in these conditions. Also running a line from the stern to the anchor line will work well.
    Last edited by Jim Clark; 18th May 2013 at 19:34.

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

No one in the boat, no stern line, forced decent to avoid a long drift(Good thing the equipment was working). I would expect no less from that Charter Operation, it's dangerous enough with the Captain drinking, and huffing glue all the time. Glad you made it back safe.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester  View Original Post
    No one in the boat, no stern line, forced decent to avoid a long drift(Good thing the equipment was working). I would expect no less from that Charter Operation, it's dangerous enough with the Captain drinking, and huffing glue all the time. Glad you made it back safe.

there WAS a tag line deployed. very often, we also deploy a "granny" line from the stern to the anchor line, but the current was so mild, we felt it was not needed.

the current in SE Fla can change by the minute. we went back to the Hydro today and found a very light surface current. we decided to deploy the "granny" line. by the time we geared up to hit the water, the current had picked up a LOT. our first diver hit the water,but she was unable to pull up to the anchor line. she aborted and we helped her back to the boat and we headed a mere 800 or so yards away to the 70 ft deep wrecks and found almost zero current.

that's SE FLA diving

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Of course Don had his PLB with him so no matter what happened if he ended up not finding the wreck and having to shoot a bag and ascend he could still find his way home to sleep in his own bed that night......right

Part of your description sound so much like my little free drifting in Asia. Try the same thing in the South China Sea were there is no site of land and no boat traffic thing might turn out quite different. As I very well know first hand.

John

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Hey Jeff...did you have any trouble getting to the down line, dropping in after Don?

Franco

RBW Member Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester will become famous soon enough Sly-vester's Avatar
    rEvo III Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by swadiver  View Original Post
    there WAS a tag line deployed. very often, we also deploy a "granny" line from the stern to the anchor line, but the current was so mild, we felt it was not needed.

the current in SE Fla can change by the minute. we went back to the Hydro today and found a very light surface current. we decided to deploy the "granny" line. by the time we geared up to hit the water, the current had picked up a LOT. our first diver hit the water,but she was unable to pull up to the anchor line. she aborted and we helped her back to the boat and we headed a mere 800 or so yards away to the 70 ft deep wrecks and found almost zero current.

that's SE FLA diving
    Oh, Jeff that was you? I take back what I said about the drinking.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoC  View Original Post
    Hey Jeff...did you have any trouble getting to the down line, dropping in after Don?

Franco
    nope

Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Sly-vester  View Original Post
    Oh, Jeff that was you? I take back what I said about the drinking.

uh huh

Revo

Optima

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Of course Don had his PLB with him so no matter what happened if he ended up not finding the wreck and having to shoot a bag and ascend he could still find his way home to sleep in his own bed that night......right

Part of your description sound so much like my little free drifting in Asia. Try the same thing in the South China Sea were there is no site of land and no boat traffic thing might turn out quite different. As I very well know first hand.

John
    John we are actually kinda hoping that he just drifts away someday..........never to be heard from again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast