+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Look for scuba instruction for my son in Maui.

RBW Member darron is an unknown quantity at this point darron's Avatar
    rEvo III

Look for scuba instruction for my son in Maui.

He's been bugging me for the last 3 years and I told him that he has to wait until he's 12.

He's 12 now and we're headed to Maui in late September so I'm looking for a place that can either:

1. Do his instruction, pool time and open water dives.

2. Do his pool time and open water dives by referral. (Trying to keep the instruction time during the holiday down if possible.)

We could do his dives close to home, but then I've got to invest a whole lot more money in a drysuit for him just to try it out.

As you can imagine, Google searches are pretty much useless for this - have already tried and gotten nowhere.

I'm really looking for an instructor in Maui that:

1. Will let me be his buddy during his open water dives. Not so that I can baby him - he has to learn properly and without my extra assistance - but I've been matched up with some pretty sketchy people in the past and I want him to have a buddy that doesn't add or cause problems.

2. Will teach using the 7 foot long hose. That's all I dive with and own when I'm not on my breather.

I'm not looking for a certification mill, just want a decent instructor with a good track record. I will pay more if I need to and am not looking for a "deal". I have a great local tech instructor for me, but can't afford to fly him out to Hawaii for this.

Anybody know anybody near Kihei, Maui, Hawaii that would fit the bill?

My wife and I also want to dive for a bit - and with our son once he's certified - so it's for more than just the instruction.

Any help at all would be appreciated - I know it's not rebreather specific, but the people here have likely taken a lot of instruction and maybe know or can recommend somebody there.

Thanks.

RBW Member darron is an unknown quantity at this point darron's Avatar
    rEvo III

Re: Look for scuba instruction for my son in Maui.

Is the long hose request the problem?

Or does nobody know any good instructors on Maui?

Just curious - I'd relax the long hose requirement for a good instructor.

Thanks everybody.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: Look for scuba instruction for my son in Maui.

While I've not actually trained with them, I'd suggest giving the folks at Maui Dreams a call. They are just plain decent folks, eager to meet your needs.

Scuba diving guides, training, sales, service and rentals, Maui HI

I'd also be extremely wary of the 'training' services/ resort courses of the mega-cattle boat tourist mills.

+ Reply to Thread