+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New to the forums Former Military Diver

  1. #1
    RBW Member GlennJapan is an unknown quantity at this point GlennJapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4
    mk16 - Mk25

    New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Hello, Currently living in Japan and a practicing physician.

    I'm currently going through my Dive Medical Officer training starting in July. Formerly served in the Marines and was a Qualed 0321/8541 Combatant Diver. Dived the Lar 5 back in 93-94. Currently work for the Japanese Ministry of Health - Japan Self Defense Force.

    Looking to re-educate and orient myself in the Modern Semi/Closed Circuit diving world and getting back into recreational Diving. I plan to attend a civilian Dive school possibly in Okinawa next month for a new Civilian Cert for OC open water and a Special Rebreather course. I will be recerting and learning their bad habits *Its a joke later this summer with the Govt here.


    Cheers,

    Glenn

  2. #2
    fubar Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    651
    Meg

    KISS

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Welcome and Semper Fi. Former Force Recon guy here...

    Oh, I was stationed in Japan for 2.5 years as well (Iwakuni) Awesome duty. I miss that area.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 17th April 2013 at 12:56.

  3. #3
    RBW Member GlennJapan is an unknown quantity at this point GlennJapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4
    mk16 - Mk25

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    Welcome and Semper Fi. Former Force Recon guy here...

    Oh, I was stationed in Japan for 2.5 years as well (Iwakuni) Awesome duty. I miss that area.
    Thanks for the welcome.

    What did you do with the Airwing? Are you a member of the FRA?

    Diving Rigs since the 70s that s a long time!

    Cheers,

    Glenn

  4. #4
    fubar Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    651
    Meg

    KISS

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    When my operational contract was done, I had choice of duty station and MOS, so I changed to I think was a 4000 MOS (?) and worked in the data processing facility.

    I loved my duty there in Japan. Taught English in Hiroshima several times a week, traveled all over Southern Japan, climbed Mt Fuji several times, many other mountains in southern japan.

    I really miss my times there.

    BTW, I havent dove long, only back when operational, and then not wet for 35 years, just got re-certified Oct 2011.

    re-discovered my inner "water baby" summer of 2011 on a trip to Tahiti and Rarotonga.
    Last edited by Jeff Pack; 17th April 2013 at 14:39.

  5. #5
    RBW Member GlennJapan is an unknown quantity at this point GlennJapan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4
    mk16 - Mk25

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    When my operational contract was done, I had choice of duty station and MOS, so I changed to I think was a 4000 MOS (?) and worked in the data processing facility.

    I loved my duty there in Japan. Taught English in Hiroshima several times a week, traveled all over Southern Japan, climbed Mt Fuji several times, many other mountains in southern japan.

    I really miss my times there.

    BTW, I havent dove long, only back when operational, and then not wet for 35 years, just got re-certified Oct 2011.

    re-discovered my inner "water baby" summer of 2011 on a trip to Tahiti and Rarotonga.
    When were you in Force? were you an 8654? What units and locations?

    I understand about getting back into the water. I got out and lived in the Rockies while going through school, its been a few dyears since having the opportunity to live in a place where diving is possible again.

    What rebreather unit are you using now? I see so many on the market. For me it is not so much about caving or going deep, Id like to get into reef and photography. I like the little critters, and its a good healthy activity.

  6. #6
    RBW Member spn2298 is on a distinguished road spn2298 is on a distinguished road spn2298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    okinawa Japan
    Posts
    114
    Meg, rEvo, Inspo, Prism2, Kiss

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Glenn,

    Welcome on board.

    I have some students who are USMC and USAF in Okinawa.
    If you are interested, please send me a PM on RBW or visit our website as following,
    http://rebreather-nolimit.com/

    Cheers,

    Masa

  7. #7
    fubar Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    651
    Meg

    KISS

    Re: New to the forums Former Military Diver

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennJapan  View Original Post
    When were you in Force? were you an 8654? What units and locations?

    I understand about getting back into the water. I got out and lived in the Rockies while going through school, its been a few dyears since having the opportunity to live in a place where diving is possible again.

    What rebreather unit are you using now? I see so many on the market. For me it is not so much about caving or going deep, Id like to get into reef and photography. I like the little critters, and its a good healthy activity.
    I was in 1975-1979, Operational 2 years, then served out the rest of my time in Japan. Diving a Meg now.

    You might consider a KISS GEM pSCR,not constant PPO like an eCCR, but alot less dollars. If you arent going crazy tec, is an awesome unit for the cost/training.

    Masa can help you with that too.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts