+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Re: I woul;d like to hear reasons and opinions for this.

I have had a battery explode inside of my Hammerhead handset. The force was such that I had to use a tool to open the battery compartment; hand force would not budge the cap.

I would not want such an explosive force to be going on inside of even a sealed compartment that is inside of the loop from which I am breathing. Maybe the o-rings could take it, but I am unwilling to take that chance.

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by nilmol  View Original Post
    There might be one advantage to having the batteries in the loop and that's temperature. Really cold water will have a negative effect on the batteries performance. I'm not sure how much or how serious but having batteries in a sealed compartment, like APD's torpedo tubes, placed inside the loop seems to me as the least bad.

Just a thought since we're not all warm water divers. I've had cameras dying on me for this reason...

/nils
    I think you'll find from anyone who uses a shearwater that the battery (outside the loop) lasts forever, so not really an issue.

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by quickean  View Original Post
    I think you'll find from anyone who uses a shearwater that the battery (outside the loop) lasts forever, so not really an issue.
    Does that config include the battery driving the solenoid as well? Just asking since I'm unfamiliar with it.

/nils

RBW Member quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean has a spectacular aura about quickean's Avatar
    Meg

Not in my case. I believe the Titan and rEvo use SW controllers. Perhaps someone who dives them in both warm and cold water can chime in if they notice a difference in battery life. I have a hunch that's its not an issue, but only because the people I know who dive them don't complain about it. Perhaps either there's not a big difference or they last so long anyways that it doesn't matter?
    Last edited by quickean; 3rd April 2013 at 18:38.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by nilmol  View Original Post
    Does that config include the battery driving the solenoid as well? Just asking since I'm unfamiliar with it.

/nils
    On the rEvo, the solenoid battery (9V) is in a sealed container that sits snugly between the O2 bottle and the scrubber canisters outside the loop. SW connects to this then two cables enter the rebreather for solenoid/RMS and O2 cells/RMS. If the 9V runs down (external battery warning on SW), the 3.7 volt SW battery will still be able to drive electronics to read RMS and O2 cells... No solenoid but most of us can run our rEvo's manually if that situation occurred.
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 3rd April 2013 at 18:44.

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    On the rEvo, the solenoid battery (9V) is in a sealed container that sits snugly between the O2 bottle and the scrubber canisters outside the loop. SW connects to this then two cables enter the rebreather for solenoid/RMS and O2 cells/RMS. If the 9V runs down (external battery warning on SW), the 3.7 volt SW battery will still be able to drive electronics to read RMS and O2 cells... No solenoid but most of us can run our rEvo's manually if that situation occurred.
    Not to bad a solution...

/nils

RBW Member michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn is a jewel in the rough michael hearn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post

on the aurora i have a sealed battery compartment in the lid of the electronics pod , this pod is a dry chamber holding all life support parts , even if the batteries leaked in the compartment it would not enter the loop. there are 2 x 9v bats and 2 x 3.6v safts in this battery box .some rebreathers had to seal there bats due to new CE regs so had to find a solution to a problem , some were not able to implement them inside so chose external containers . , i see this as extra cables glands meaning failure points ,if an external battery pack leaks you are likely to lose all the batteries ,
    cheers
    mike
    Attached Images

Helium is addictive! Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman has a spectacular aura about Blomman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    I have had a battery explode inside of my Hammerhead handset. The force was such that I had to use a tool to open the battery compartment; hand force would not budge the cap.

I would not want such an explosive force to be going on inside of even a sealed compartment that is inside of the loop from which I am breathing. Maybe the o-rings could take it, but I am unwilling to take that chance.
    Do you know the root cause of the battery explosion?
    Was it a re-chargeable battery?

Roland Somodi rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver is a glorious beacon of light rolanddiver's Avatar
    Homebuilt(s)

Inspiration Classic

I have two battery packs in sealed delrin boxes like on the meg. I put an over pressure relief valves(both sealed with double O-rings) on the top of the head so if something goes wrong with the battery, they open and vent the excess pressure to the water and close back when the pressure equalized(actually it needs 0.6bars over ambient to make them open).Also the reason why I decided to put the batteries in the loop is that in case I get the handset flooded, broken, cable cut, microcontroller will keep maintaining the setpoint, also it is pretty warm inside the loop and that prolongs battery life. I mainly dive in caves where water is not too warm. Also when the battery is about to catch on fire, /explode, it doesn't happen immediately. You will notice it on your display/electronics because most likely battery voltage will drop drastically and your electronics won't work anymore. When you have your controller dead, you most likely bail out and therefore eliminate the chance of breathing some nasty stuff. My solenoid controller uses 4 18650 Li-Ion rechargeables and it would be pretty big to put in a handset housing. Recharging is done thru a Fischer connector on the head(that also a connection to my Shearwater) so I don't need to take the battery out for charging.
    Very Respectfully

Roland Somodi

sent from my Commodore 64 using Wizard of War....

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by michael hearn  View Original Post
    . there are 2 x 9v bats and 2 x 3.6v safts in this battery box .some rebreathers had to seal there bats due to new CE regs so had to find a solution to a problem , some were not able to implement them inside so chose external containers . , i see this as extra cables glands meaning failure points ,if an external battery pack leaks you are likely to lose all the batteries ,
    cheers
    mike
    michael, where it the redundancy in power supply? if you separate power supplies in external battery containers, and in the unlikely event one external container would flood, you still have the remaining power supplies
    when you have all your batteries in one compartment, and it floods, you loose everything?
    rEvo uses either 3, either 4 completely separate, independant power supplies, all in a different place, different compartment. you can never loose them all at the same time
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...