+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ideas for shipping gear?

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

Re: thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bryanhnsn  View Original Post
    so it seems easiest just to pay oveweight.
    CFU - Are you sure about customs and tax? I am not to farmilliar with these procedures, but as far as I know import taxes and customs are for "new" products, and not for personally owned and used items... And whywould this be different from just walking it through the airport?
    I am not yet sure about anyting in this trip - so i don't have a decision on how to do the flight, for example. As soon as I have a basic understanding of the full picture it will be easier to make decisions. The whole thing is kind of new to me - we have a rather small tec community in Israel - maybe 100 - 200 divers who are active - some less, some more - so this kind of thing was never done here before. The travell agencies that organize sport diving safaries are used to completely diffeent things. For my own agenda I am also pushing CCR diving in this trip wich seems to make it more difficult logisticly. So if anyone has ideas, or can list problems, or share experience - I would be glad to hear...

Thanks
    Talk to the centres your diving with you should find the you can rent cylinders & buy scrubber locally so that cuts down on a lot of the stuff you will be trying to ship. I did a Red Sea trip with my rebreather at Christmas and Blue O2 were great at sorting the tec kit on the liveaboard I just to my unit an bail out regs everything else was supplied

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Re: ideas for shipping gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Diveratt  View Original Post
    I thought customs & import duty would only apply if you were planing to stay long term.
    Problem is some country / customs trust you some don't cause once its in the country how they make sure you will take it back on your way home and dont sell it? So some countries will ask you for deposits on importing shipments...

RBW Member Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt's Avatar
    Poseidon mk6

Quote Originally Posted by CFU  View Original Post
    Problem is some country / customs trust you some don't cause once its in the country how they make sure you will take it back on your way home and dont sell it? So some countries will ask you for deposits on importing shipments...
    Thanks for that :D

There is always a "maybe" CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU has a spectacular aura about CFU's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT RMS

Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Diveratt  View Original Post
    Thanks for that :D
    Just an advice from experience its not always easy and make sure you know exactly what to expect before shipping equipment ahead and then not beeing able to dive because its stuck in customs...

i ko nix dafüa seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu is a jewel in the rough seppu's Avatar
    sf 1,?

jj,mccr-inspi,classic,rgfüm

the next air malta airport is istanbul/turkey.maybe you find a low coast carrier from israel to istanbul.everything is okay.
    at malta search strand diving the owner laurent is a old fox and can help you.
    gruss sepp

Nils Möllerström nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol will become famous soon enough nilmol's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Inspiration Classic

Quote Originally Posted by CFU  View Original Post
    Deposit shouldn't be necessary.

I've travelled to Turkey several times (years ago) and then brought complete diving gear for several persons including a Bauer compressor. All that was needed was to have the customs to write it in to my passport. Then when leaving all we had to do was to show that the gear was brought out of the country again. Quick (i.e. turkish quick anyway) and easy and no need for customs to handle cash deposits.

Same thing was applied to our car and rifles (we used to hunt wild boar as well).

Also in Greece I've had to have my car signed in to my passport. Seems to be pretty much a standard procedure.

In Egypt and Mauritius the customs officer just asked if was going to sell my laptop. They were happy with just a simple "no".

But I'd like to know what countries in your experience that really insist on a cash deposit? Could prove to be helpful.

/nils

RBW Member bryanhnsn is an unknown quantity at this point bryanhnsn's Avatar
    Inspiration

solutions!

thanks everyone,
    I finally got this solved - Air Malta is the solution - up to 20 KG's of chekked in luggage, and sports gear can be shipped in seperate packages of up to 32 KG's each for only 30 euros a bag - So this probably is the best solution for anyone going there. The company sais the same applyes for regular and charter flights.

RBW Member Wreck detective is an unknown quantity at this point Wreck detective's Avatar
    Meg

Just a word of warning
    if you intend to fly out of Tel Aviv with a Rebreather.
    I've done it on several occasions as I work in Israel (Haifa) It's a right PITA with airport sercurity.
    Trying to explain what a MEG is while they scan the loop, the Head half a dozen times and yes even the empty Meg can.
    Give yourself plenty of time. And that's even before you go through this again with your carry on.

On a lighter note. Do you know of any RB friendly divers in Haifa, been trying to see about some diving and even diving the Scire'.

Martyn

RBW Member bryanhnsn is an unknown quantity at this point bryanhnsn's Avatar
    Inspiration

Martyn -
    Security in Israel is allways a PITA.
    I know some guys who flew out with rebreathers, I guess explenations are better in Hebrew. If you want, I can prepair some kind of letter in hebrew to go with your gear nextt time, sometimes it makes it easier.

about dives in Isral - I sent you a private message

Bryan

RBW Member Pedrodelavega is an unknown quantity at this point Pedrodelavega's Avatar
    O2ptima

I want to take my extendair cartridges with me flying to Asia.
    Anyone knows issues (airline / safety ) restrictions?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast