+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Truk Lagoon 2012

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Truk Lagoon 2012

Hello everyone,
    I wanted to post a trip report for my last trek to Chuuk, FSM. I booked this trip with Pete Mesley via Wreck Diving Trips, Bikini Atoll, Truk Lagoon. Pete organizes a wonderful trip and takes care of all needs for OC on CCR divers, which is very helpful with all of the restrictions placed on airlines for flying.

My flight was booked originally with Continental airlines but with the merger with United my flight pattern changed 8 times from January until I left on November 11th.

The flights as anyone can imagine are incredibly long and uncomfortable.

This was my return trip to Chuuk as I was there in 2007. I arrived in Chuuk and found that the airport was still in the same dreadful state as it was in 2007. The main road from the airport to Blue Lagoon Resort I actually believe was in worse shape now than in 2007. Now there are more potholes than asphalt.

Blue Lagoon Resort is a basic hotel. If you are considering going to Chuuk remember you are there to dive and everything else is secondary.

As I mentioned all of the logistics for the trip were handled by Pete. All of my CCR bottles, sorb and bail-out bottles with rigging were ready to go. Pete went to great lengths to ensure that each of the boats had a maximum of six divers, similarly trained, and that none of the boats leaving Blue Lagoon were not going to the same wreck. The understanding of my boat was that if the Odyssey, Thorfinn or Truk Stop boats were on the wreck we wanted to dive we would choose another wreck. It seems foolish to only have 6 people on a wreck at once but it was wonderful and it greatly helped with photos.

In total I did 15 days of diving and spent 42 hours underwater. As mentioned in another post the wrecks are starting to show their age, and effects of diver traffic. The most notable damage I noticed were the superstructure of the San Francisco Maru has collapsed. And the bridge on the Fujikawa Maru has collapsed so the engine room is not as grand as it once was.

My favourite wreck by far was the Aikoko Maru- huge engine room with easy access. The Aikoko is still littered with sailor's remains and it's a very humbling experience.

The problems that I experienced on this trip were the long plane rides, short connection times between flights and having to clear TSA again at each US airport. On an equipment side; I had two AP cells fail. I took my wife's lid so I just switched cells. The hardest part to swallow is on day 12 my camera's housing flooded ruining my camera.

This is a trip of a lifetime for the wreck-diver enthusiast who can forego some of the amenities that you expect if you were at home.

The reasons I choose to dive with Blue Lagoon over the Odyssey was I wanted to visit some wrecks that the Odyssey do not visit frequently like the Oite, Aikoko and other deeper wrecks. Also at the time of my booking, but has changed now I understand, is the Oddessey not having trimix on board.

Here is a link to my photos, enjoy:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...78192923311297

RBW Member drew_b is an unknown quantity at this point drew_b's Avatar
    Stolen :(

Vision, Homemade

Re: Truk Lagoon 2012

Thats a really negtive post mate. Surely there were things you really enjoyed on the trip. I'm going there in 6 months and would be keen to know some great things to look out for.

RBW Member kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver will become famous soon enough kiwidiver's Avatar
    evo+,deep pursuit

404 error on link.what caused the housing to flood?

Inspiration with Vision

Quote Originally Posted by drew_b  View Original Post
    Thats a really negtive post mate. Surely there were things you really enjoyed on the trip. I'm going there in 6 months and would be keen to know some great things to look out for.
    The post is not meant to be negative. The wrecks are still wonderful but have lost their some of their lust since I was there 5 years ago.
    Truk is for wreck diving nothing else, don't expect a 5 star resort.

If you are asking if I would return I would in a heartbeat. I would prefer some sort of time travel and a Hilton Hotel and restaurant
    if you have any particular questions, please feel free to ask
    Last edited by diverchris; 3rd December 2012 at 02:17.

Inspiration with Vision

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidiver  View Original Post
    404 error on link.what caused the housing to flood?
    try this for the link see if it works any better:
    https://plus.google.com/111332147007028024584/photos

As for the housing issue, I really don't know but I'm going to have it serviced at Aquatica to ease my mind

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Jealous as, mate. I loved Truk and especially the Blue Lagoon which although tired was kept in prsitine condition with immaculate grounds and clean rooms with none of the vermin one comes to expect from remote places like Auckland except for one day when I thought I'd sleep with the verandah door open. I got a telling off from the cleaning lady

The people at Blue Lagoon are very friendly, the food was basic but good. The beer was cheap (very important that), I liked the bar which shows a lot of divers have had fun there and my group used to sit and have a beer of a night time and watch the two liveaboards parked in the lagoon - one never moved the whole time we were there and the other followed us around the dive sites. I am going back for sure.

However, I was struck by how desperately poor the people were there. The staff at Blue Lagoon were paid US$1.50 per hour. Most live a subsistence life style. With 5,000 plus visitors and not much else bringing in income, if you're intending on going to Truk in future please consider bringing with you stuff that could help them out - school stuff like notebooks, pencils, etc, kids stuff like clothes. If you have any dive gear you don't need or use - dive computers for example, masks, fins, you could consider bringing them along and donating them to the guides. I was horrified to see dive guides not using computers because they couldn't afford them - if they broke they were buggered as they couldn't get them repaired. When we left, we gave them all our surplus dive gear including wet suits, etc. Mine was especially welcome as two of them could fit in it.

RBW Member warrior63 is an unknown quantity at this point warrior63's Avatar
    Inspo

kiss

Re: Truk Lagoon 2012 "LUST4RUST.CO"

Hi Chris and everyone

I too was on pete mesley's trip for the second time and all I can say is WOW! it was great, great, great. I think chris's points are well meant for those who don't like surprises. I agree, the plane ride sucks but it's worth it. The blue lagoon may qualify as a "days inn" here in the US, but it is definately 5 star when compared to what the rest of the island is like. The sashimi at the resturant was marvelous! The banana splits not too bad either....

Pete mesley's Lust4rust.co puts together an impressive CCR experience that is largely freeform and he does an excellent job! It's not just lip service when I say he goes out of his way to keep everyone happy. Forgive my bias but I could not imagine doing Truk any other way.

One of my favorite parts of the trip (other than the wrecks of course) is the opportunity to meet tech divers from all over the world. It is a real treat to meet/dive with new people (fortunately all english speaking) bought together by a common interest! The new freindships and lively conversations make for the time above water to be just as enjoyable as below. By the time it comes to an end, there are new invitations to dive in other locales with my new found friends.

at a boy! Pete.
    Last edited by warrior63; 3rd December 2012 at 21:22.

Go DEEP!!!! Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer is a jewel in the rough Explorer's Avatar
    MEGALODON

Evolution, KISS GEM

Thank you for the write up. Will be going back again with Pete in November 2013.

New Member petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes is a jewel in the rough petemes's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Cheers Chris and Stevo!!

Pete

+ Reply to Thread