+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Out of Date sofnolime 797

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Out of Date sofnolime 797

I have a good amount of Out of date sofnolime 797. Can anyone provide some info on if this is a hard rule or just a guide? Any way of testing a sorbs quality before use?
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Out of Date sofnolime 797

Quote Originally Posted by Steve  View Original Post
    I have a good amount of Out of date sofnolime 797. Can anyone provide some info on if this is a hard rule or just a guide? Any way of testing a sorbs quality before use?
    This thread might be helpful
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=36633
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Scuba Imports Australia Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris is a name known to all Chris's Avatar
    rEVO III rMS

Inspo, Kiss, Prism, Meg, Pos

Dave
    I think Steve was more asking about using out of date 797 as oppose to how long people are keeping it in the Scrubber between dives...

ie "Expiry Date" or "Best Before"

Steve
    Ran a fill of 797 through the rEvo the other day it was 18 months out of date, strangely the RMS gave me exactly the same runtimes as in-date 797

Cheers
    Chriso

Ladies bring a plate Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve has a reputation beyond repute Steve's Avatar

Thanks Chris. Exactly what I was asking.
    WARNING: I contain occasional coarse language, extreme sexual references, nudity, and adult themes, which may offend some people - Usually churchy types.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

The Canadian Navy did a test on that subject a couple of years back and tested year old sofnolime. They found the old stuff worked as good or better than the new control sample. I thought the results were posted on the Rubicon Repository but a I just looked and can't find it.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

How have the sorb been stored?

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

This threat bring a few other questions to my head?

1. Do we over do it with pre set dates, numbers, limits in general just for safety, or is this the point where errors happen in our costant search for optimization?

Anyway, wouldnt you prefer to even mix it with a fresh sorb in case you had to use it?

Is it worth it?

Just asking, no aim to be clever.

Spyros

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

I would normaly throw away out of date sofnolime.
    but some further info below:-
    Sofnolime has a use by date on it because molecular products can't control how you store it.
    In theory it should store fine for ever if it's stored correctly.
    In fact if you have enough unopened expired sofnolime from the same batch. Molecular products will re certify it with a new expiry date for you.
    The things I would personaly throw away sofnalime past it's sell by date for without considering other factors are:-
    1) Unknown Storage conditions,
    2) has got close to or below freezing in storage.
    3) has got too hot in storage
    4) is opened
    all the above mean you can't guarentee the water content which is critical to make sofnalime work to the rated capacity.
    I'd also ditch it if it had been moved or transported a significant no. of times. As this can break down the granules, changing WOB and also rated capacity.
    If none of the above had occurred I would then weigh up how much I felt my life was worth.
    HTH
    Simon A

RBW Member dab is on a distinguished road dab is on a distinguished road dab's Avatar
    rEvo

Oroborus, GEM

I have used snofnolime 797 well past its marked expiration date, but I had it stored for several years in a low humidity, climate controlled environment.

The drums remain unopened and stored indoors. That shouldn't be an issue. I suppose I'm asking a chemistry question; does this stuff decay over time or does it remain with it's initial properties ad infinitum? How do we know?

Come on Chemistry boffins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast