+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Submatix Sidemount Bailout Rebreather

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Re: Submatix Sidemount Bailout Rebreather

Quote Originally Posted by Naumachos  View Original Post
    I requested info from the manufacturer and he said that they are ready for production, the final version should be exposed to the Boot 2014 in Germany.

Since I buy it (I have to decide between Flex and Submatix) in 2015, i'll wait for some testing by people using it as a bob.

I am also interested in comparing this with the Flex, Sidekick and SF2.

The other thread about the Submatix is here. http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=47222
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

i just don't get the philosophy. who is going to sit there openeng and closing stuff, fixing the loop PO2, etc etc after a co2 hit?

On my worst co2 hit I could barely get it together to switch the BOV over. Even a separate OC reg would have been a push. But this? No way!

It's just too complicated. At the very least I would want this plus a BOV. And it just seems too easy to flood that thing.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

Old st(r)ockfish Naumachos is on a distinguished road Naumachos is on a distinguished road Naumachos's Avatar
    Megalodon 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    i just don't get the philosophy. who is going to sit there openeng and closing stuff, fixing the loop PO2, etc etc after a co2 hit?

On my worst co2 hit I could barely get it together to switch the BOV over. Even a separate OC reg would have been a push. But this? No way!

It's just too complicated. At the very least I would want this plus a BOV. And it just seems too easy to flood that thing.
    i'm planning to use it only in extreme deep diving,actually i'm a - 170 on wreck and i'm conscious that my 4 x 12 x 300+ Carbondive plus deco station from - 100+ are quite "tight".

Co2 hit ... first thing try to avoid it (but i'm off topic here)... second switch the bov (if i can do it) connected to a BIG offboard source of bottom gas (min. 1 x 12 x 300+ or 2) and THEN switch to a BOB and then go shallow as fast as i can ... but,as i say before i'm still thinking of.

Easy to flood ... with ADV and gas source open and/or connected it's not so simple,but i'm really a newbe in this field.

For sure it's more complicated and task loading then finning around only with oc bail out.

I'm focused on Wet Mules about field test for FLEX,still looking around to found some Submatix user around with field experience.
    Last edited by Naumachos; 15th December 2013 at 14:25.

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Naumachos  View Original Post
    Another video in shallow water.

DS SM200 OW trials 20130919 - YouTube
    Did anyone else kind of laugh out loud when they saw a side mount rebreather "staged at 6m" with an oncoming diver with single tank/jacket BCD? I know it is for show purposes only and I am not saying that anyone would actually use it this way but I just spit out a little bit of my drink while watching it.

I agree with Paul… How does it breath when its down by your hips?

I am not a manufacturer nor do I claim to actually be able to sell stuff but it might help to have:
    • Intended environment represented
    • Best way to use the device
    • appropriate ancillary equipment

I enjoyed the video though and am glad it was shared.

It would also be cool to have these type rebreathers next to each other for size comparisons, operation comparisons, and generally how things align on the body (do things stick out, entanglement, etc).

Garth

The raffle shiest-er Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth's Avatar
    Hammerhead Extreme eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post

This made me think a little bit about breathing rates and scrubbers. Does anyone use a bailout rebreather for a backup to a CO2 hit? It would seem that a BOB would not work as breathing over the scrubber would occur.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I'm just finishing the conversion of my Sidekick to CCR, and my plan is to use a pair of 30's with 2nd stages on them.

That way I have at least some quantity of breathable gas OC if needed. Whether that be a BoB failure or CO2 hit. Wont last long,but better than nothing.

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Quote Originally Posted by Garth  View Original Post

How does it breath when its down by your hips?

It would also be cool to have these type rebreathers next to each other for size comparisons, operation comparisons, and generally how things align on the body (do things stick out, entanglement, etc).

Garth
    Talk to Toddy at Protec Sardinia, he has been using an SF2 sidemount as a main unit for a while now both in caves & wrecks.

I currently have an SF2 that I am setting up as a BOB. My plan is to use my normal rEvo with a BOV connected to my 10L 300 bar bailout but this will also double as the dil for the SF2. Think I can mount the second O2 cylinder on the side of the rEvo with the BOB on the right & the bailout/dil on the left .
    Lots of work in the pool before I dive it properly. I am only intending to use it on deeper dives but if it works well & balances easily I may use it on shallower stuff as well.
    What we really need is a return of Lofs Dual CCR BOV for this type of situation .

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky  View Original Post
    What we really need is a return of Lofs Dual CCR BOV for this type of situation .
    Even after the conversation at CCRX about it, I am not convinced that is the way to go. Although it would facilitate the switch from one RB to the BOB, that is probably not what you want in the case of a CO2 hit. Your breathing rate would be so fast that there would be no dwell time in the BOB scrubber and no ability to resolve the issue. I think bailing out to OC for a bit first to get things under control before going onto the BOB loop makes more sense.

However, I like the ability to configure the SM200 as either a fully self-contained BOB with small cylinders, or a stand alone sidemount RB with larger offboard tanks, or maybe also a backmounted unit might make this one stand out from the growing crowd of sidemount rebreathers.
    Ken

Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT

Inspiration Vision, rEvo II Hy

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    However, I like the ability to configure the SM200 as either a fully self-contained BOB with small cylinders, or a stand alone sidemount RB with larger offboard tanks, or maybe also a backmounted unit might make this one stand out from the growing crowd of sidemount rebreathers.
    You could do that with an SF2 as well.

JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Quote Originally Posted by colinicky  View Original Post
    You could do that with an SF2 as well.
    Interesting. I hadn't seen anything showing the SF2 with self-contained cylinders. I really hope there is a chance that some of these will be available at BTS in March.
    Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast