+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Re: Kevin Gurr speaks on the new Hollis Explorer CCR

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    You say you would dive it at a resort- so it is attractive to a travelling CCR diver.... wow- there are lots of those.... NOT!

Just IMVHO this is dangerous and stupid developement. Why don't they fix the Sentinel and Prism2 before polluting the market with this dross?
    And I was standing in the front row at the early "TeK" conference held by Michael Menduno when the President of PADI stated these exact words.

"PADI will NEVER condone the use of nitrox"

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsx  View Original Post
    I would just rather dive a Dolphin; cheaper, less failure points, self pack scrubber, more flexible, and perefctly usable in the exact same profiles.
    With this statement I am assuming you have dove both the Hollis Explorer and the Dolphin?

This must be true to make such a statement.

I have dove the Dolphin many times and the work of breathing sucked, Maybe the Explorer is 100x better?

I do not know, but after I dive the Explorer, I will have an educated answer, unlike yours.

RBW Key Holder
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by priestlay  View Original Post
    I'm saying that is the probably the market, fat, rich, americans.

Not all of us are "Fat"

And all "stereo type" images of English Lords and Kings are giant fat plump pom-pas asses. Note I said "Stereo Type"
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 23rd November 2012 at 16:00.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by thetrickster  View Original Post
    Did I see Brand new Dolphins on display in some of Chett's photos at DEMA????
    I was wondering why Drager had a stand, but. I guess it's a trade show, and they still ( I think) do a non magnetic version of the Dolphin for the military.
    That said, if they got the price right, I wonder if the could have another pitch at the recreational rebreather market? Say less than $2000... Unlikely to try I think though.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    With this statement I am assuming you have dove both the Hollis Explorer and the Dolphin?
    Well of course not. The Explorer is not coming until March. (I guess we can add that to the Dolphin's merits. You can dive one today). I did ask a Hollis sales rep who was visiting a dive shop, "Will there be try dives at DEMA?" He said no. Were there any?

I have dove the Dolphin many times and the work of breathing sucked. Maybe the Explorer is 100x better?
    Now that would be a "better" idea but, I did not hear any menttion of it in your interview. Have you heard anyone from Hollis or anywhere else made any comments on the work of breathing? Do any of the bells and whistles they have hung on the unit deal with WOB? They seem there to meet PADI's definition of R rebreathers.
    Last edited by qazwsx; 23rd November 2012 at 16:48.

RBW Key Holder
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsx  View Original Post
    Now that would be a "better" idea but, I did not hear any menttion of it in your interview. Have you heard anyone from Hollis or anywhere else made any comments on the work of breathing? Do any of the bells and whistles they have hung on the unit deal with WOB? They seem there to meet PADI's definition of R rebreathers.
    Yes, I have heard comments on the WOB and they seemed positive. I cannot make a true statement, until I have tried the unit on more than a pool dive.

Kevin Gurr is in no way an idiot when it comes to designing rebreathers. I would bet he has forgotten more than most of us know.

With that in mind, I am banking that Kevin G, unlike Alex D, knows what the heck he is designing.

Obviously Hollis is also banking on Kevin Gurr's worldwide reputation as one of the forefathers in rebreather technology.

Time will tell if the Hollis Explorer will help create a recreational rebreather market or not.

But everyone here that is quoting him or herself as the worlds leading experts in rebreather diving, one time started with a snorkel in their mouths, spitting up water through their noses. And for many, it was less than a decade ago.

RBW Member priestlay is an unknown quantity at this point priestlay's Avatar
    Not all of us are "Fat"

And all "stereo type" images of English Lords and Kings are giant fat plump pom-pas asses. Note I said "Stereo Type"

I never said you were. Not all of us are lords or kings :D

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Kevin Gurr is in no way an idiot when it comes to designing rebreathers. I would bet he has forgotten more than most of us know.

With that in mind, I am banking that Kevin G, unlike Alex D, knows what the heck he is designing.

Well Said Curt!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Curt Bowen; 24th November 2012 at 04:36.

l MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD is a glorious beacon of light MHD's Avatar
    classic, sports Kiss

Azimuth, mccr azi

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post

IMVHO the "recreational" market does not exist, what person is going to choose this over a single nitrox tank? The only likely users are travelling CCR divers who want to maintain some kind of bubblefree diving- if so they are unlikley to submit to someone else (or a prepack)
    I think the answer to this is not yet! recreational rebreathers is all about marketing. I don't know if the market will succeed, but I do know that padi and the like will have to create the demand. The unit will certainly looks out there enough that a certain percentage will be attracted to it just people go bungy jumping and jet boating on holiday. Whether its truly attractive enough for current Rebreather to leave there own units behind and rent these, I don't know, but I suspect over all not, to my way of thinking the mk 6 would be more attractive to current Rebreather divers than this in that scenario. There is certainly one huge step forward for KG here, it looks like he finally built a unit that does not weigh a tonne!

Single gas selection is nice, it should give you near CCR level of NDL extension in the range used and targeted, good gas volume extension, so divers with poor usage rates (read dives once a year on holiday) can do long dives etc with out running out of gas issues. reasonable logistics and better than true CCR, good overall integrated functionality, computer everything in one package, and it looks pretty cool (starwars-ish even!). I just struggle to see it being truly able to penetrate the market. In Australia the resort market is dominated by Backpackers and the market is very price sensitive, so I can't see this displacing OC here for that reason, US resort market is is pretty different I understand. A lot will come down to the course requirements for user for it

The another market space is discover scuba's, and the logistics of having to disinfect the loop between dives/ user makes that nonviable (plus in qld its illegal to do discovers on a rebreather). So that leaves it being another card, like deep, for advanced on the padi cert card wheel, basically a nitrox card with a bit a funky hardware. say 4 hours class room and 2 dives and off you go on your holiday.

One thing that concerns me is bail out for lesser experienced divers, KG implies you will use the nitrox that its running off, and given you could be at 40m on this thing, I can foresee people going OOG on a bail out, I think they will still need to train users to carry a sling if they want to dive at the limit of its capabilities, and again that adds complexity and may result in people getting it wrong.

Matthew
    Last edited by MHD; 23rd November 2012 at 21:16.

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

And I was standing in the front row at the early "TeK" conference held by Michael Menduno when the President of PADI stated these exact words.

"PADI will NEVER condone the use of nitrox"

Ha... Voodoo Gas. What year was that now?