Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Diving: Not a Good Idea!

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Smoking and Diving: Not a Good Idea!

Want to get your attention on an OLD topic: Smoking and Diving.

Although it has been brought up in the past, I still see people lighting up either before or just after a dive.

Thanks to Jim Wyatt, Joe Citelli, Barb Dwyer and the folks at NSS-CDS, I wrote an article for Underwater Speleology, Volume 39, Number 4 that hopefully convinces some smokers to give it up. Please read it!

If you are not getting the magazine, you can find the article of the AddHelium.com website under "Learning".

Why Smoking and Diving are Incompatible - Add Helium

Additional informational topics will be posted on that website, as well. So drop in and check it out. And for those who are smoking: I wish you much success in kicking this habit.

Re: Smoking and Diving: Not a Good Idea!

Anyone far enough along in life to be diving RBs is probably set in their ways enough that one more preachy "quit smoking" message is not going to have much efficacy.

breathing or rEbreathing Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive has a spectacular aura about Davydive's Avatar
    rEvo MicFT rMS/Mini, CKiss#039

Prism2, Halcyon, Dolphin, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsx  View Original Post
    Anyone far enough along in life to be diving RBs is probably set in their ways enough that one more preachy "quit smoking" message is not going to have much efficacy.
    It's just a matter of time that he/she will have to choose between diving or smoking.
    Just my opinion.

Dive Safe!

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Nice job on the article Claudia, thanks for sharing!

Fortunately I'm not a smoker. Unfortunately, I've personally known a few smokers that have died of lung cancer and other causes that might have been avoided had they not smoked.

The diving community is a small one, and the rebreather diving community is an even smaller one. As it is, we've already lost way too many of our friends and fellow rebreather diving buddies, and I'd personally rather not lose any more, especially not to something that might potentially be avoided simply by not smoking.

So if your article convinces just one of our dive buddies to make the decision to quit smoking, which will potentially save their life and at the very least increase the length and quality of their lifespan, then regardless of how many smokers are bothered because they'd rather not be reminded of the ills of smoking, your article is a more than worthy endevor!

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I recently asked Siri (iPhone app) for location to buy Cuban cigars. The reply I got was "a cigar has a flame on one end and an idiot on the other"
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    I recently asked Siri (iPhone app) for location to buy Cuban cigars. The reply I got was "a cigar has a flame on one end and an idiot on the other"
    You can buy them here on every street corner together with a glas of rum. It's called breakfast for a lot of people.

I've stopped smoking 15 years ago and I'm very happy I did. I used the John Cleese method. You empty an ashtray in a jar, mix it with some water and when you feel the urge to smoke you take a sniff from it.
    Last edited by Jantje; 7th November 2012 at 20:30.

Dive Addicts Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton will become famous soon enough Michael Thornton's Avatar
    Hammerhead, P2, SF2, Flex, Evo

Inspo, Sent, Optima, Mk15, Dol

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    Ha ha ha I love Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsx  View Original Post
    I know a couple people who have quit smoking after learning about the contraindications with diving. Education can be a good thing and isn't necessarily "preachy".

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Nice job on the article Claudia, thanks for sharing!

Fortunately I'm not a smoker. Unfortunately, I've personally known a few smokers that have died of lung cancer and other causes that might have been avoided had they not smoked.

The diving community is a small one, and the rebreather diving community is an even smaller one. As it is, we've already lost way too many of our friends and fellow rebreather diving buddies, and I'd personally rather not lose any more, especially not to something that might potentially be avoided simply by not smoking.

So if your article convinces just one of our dive buddies to make the decision to quit smoking, which will potentially save their life and at the very least increase the length and quality of their lifespan, then regardless of how many smokers are bothered because they'd rather not be reminded of the ills of smoking, your article is a more than worthy endevor!
    Personally, I've never known a person who has died of lung cancer - smoker or otherwise. However, I've known of plenty who died of other cancers and other causes who were not smokers. Just two weeks a go a woman I only got to know better in the past 12 months died of a brain tumour. She was a very, very active diver. Non smoker all her life, athletics champ at one time, loved living and happy all the time as well. Within three months she was dead after being in a coma most of that time.
    Just one example, that no amount of education would have helped. The key is - do what you want as much as you want, enjoy your life, and do whatever you want to do today because you can't do it when you're dead. if you want to smoke and are aware of the risks as you are aware of all the risks of daily living, then smoke. Basically, just get on with your life and don't interfere in anyone else's' is my philosophy. Oh and if it matters, my last puff was in 1989 but that don't really mean anything at all - I gave up because ciggies were costing too much and for no other reason.

RBW Member Dive Junkie is an unknown quantity at this point Dive Junkie's Avatar
    JJ CCR

rEvo, Prism 2, Kiss Classic

Good article! I Cringe when I see those divers puffin away before/after dive while still suited up in their gear! The ones that make it even worse are those that are the Instructors!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast