+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cable Prices? WTF??

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Cable Prices? WTF??

Looking into the R190 cable for my second Predator... 190 Euros / $250USD based on exchange rate.

$289 locally.

Cables and more for rebreather has the D0060 cable for $100 + Molex Connectors D0016 for $15
    pg7's with strain relief are just a few dollars so ~$120

Not sure why the disparate differences in price for a cable... After spending $$$ on the revo, this actually annoys me.

I'm build my own.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Cable Prices? WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Looking into the R190 cable for my second Predator... 190 Euros / $250USD based on exchange rate.

$289 locally.

Cables and more for rebreather has the D0060 cable for $100 + Molex Connectors D0016 for $15

Not sure why the disparate differences in price for a cable... After spending $$$ on the revo, this actually annoys me.

I'm build my own.
    Im sure you can make one cheaper....

Oh but dont forget to add x% to cover your advertising costs (afterall you are trying to run a business yes?

and another x% to cover office and workshop rental

x% for insurances
    x% for legal fees
    a few % to go towards your product patenting costs
    a few % to go towards CE testing costs

throw in x% to go towards cost for new developments
    lets say x% costs so you can pay your staff a salary (they like that)

there yah go.

Im sure you can make it cheaper - Thats because your not making it for a business

in addition a lot of products have higher mark ups on consumables and spare parts than on the original product. Customer gets the original product (say car or rb) for a lot less than HE could build it but subsequent spare parts have a higher mark up. If you want to change that business model you had better be prepared to pay a lot more for your RB.

does this really have to be explained?
    Last edited by Drmike; 23rd October 2012 at 04:09.

Dark, cold and wet. DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ's Avatar
    rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    Im sure you can make one cheaper....

does this really have to be explained?
    You are actually correct except how come one business changes a third of the price without the molex connectors connected - They have all the same overheads. The act of me stripping the cable 5 inches and crimping 6 connectors some how raises the cost $200. Of course charging around $80 for a piece of cable ~5' long does not have margin built in to it?
    Last edited by DwayneJ; 23rd October 2012 at 04:15.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

They have all the same overheads.

The premise of your argument is incorrect because no they dont

One is an original equipment designer, manufacture and intelectual property developer - the other is a small one man outfit that sells other peoples parts and makes a BOV
    Last edited by Drmike; 23rd October 2012 at 04:22.

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

The premise of your argument is incorrect because no they dont

One is an original equipment designer and manufacture - the other is a small one man outfit that sells other peoples parts
    Thanks Mike.

Thanks Mike.
    your more than welcome.

as an engineer I share your frustration sometimes, and where ever I can i make my own parts. its not always the cheaper option and the results arent always as good lol

Im currently building a new front wing for my Dallara. I reckon i can build it for 600USD (a new one is over 3500USD)

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

your more than welcome.

as an engineer I share your frustration sometimes, and where ever I can i make my own parts. its not always the cheaper option and the results arent always as good lol

Im currently building a new front wing for my Dallara. I reckon i can build it for 600USD (a new one is over 3500USD)
    Perfect!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

I have a piece of cable at home that I do not need and would sell for a reasonable price. If you can wait until I return from Asia the end of the month I can measure it and tell you the type and you can decide if it meets your needs.

John

rEvo III Mini rMS

rEvo III Standard hCCR

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    I have a piece of cable at home that I do not need and would sell for a reasonable price. If you can wait until I return from Asia the end of the month I can measure it and tell you the type and you can decide if it meets your needs.

John
    Perfect! Thanks!!

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

$289 locally.

I'm build my own.
    Dwayne,
    You've just ignored all the tooling costs and assembly and testing time. Genuine Molex crimp tools are eye wateringly expensive. Molex connectors should be crimped not soldered (Revo do it slightly differently, but I challenge you to replicate how they do it) or the cable quickly snaps where it connects to the pin.
    There are non genuine Molex crimp tolls out there that are suitable for low volumes of use. Try searching for "ht-225d full cycle ratchet crimping tool", I see them on ebay for $20 + shipping.

Simon A

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast