+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Training order: OC first?

RBW Member jknight8907 is an unknown quantity at this point jknight8907's Avatar

Training order: OC first?

What are the thoughts on what order training should be done in? I'm currently an IANTD Trimix Diver, and within the next 6 months will be pursuing Full Cave certification, and buying a rebreather (Most likely a Meg). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do the Cavern/Cave/Full Cave process on OC, and then do a CCR Cave course, or just wait and do it all on the rebreather?

Andy Pitkin apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin is just really nice apitkin's Avatar
    Prism 1

various

Re: Training order: OC first?

Quote Originally Posted by jknight8907  View Original Post
    What are the thoughts on what order training should be done in? I'm currently an IANTD Trimix Diver, and within the next 6 months will be pursuing Full Cave certification, and buying a rebreather (Most likely a Meg). I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do the Cavern/Cave/Full Cave process on OC, and then do a CCR Cave course, or just wait and do it all on the rebreather?
    Seeing as many will have the opposite view, I'm going to jump in ahead of them and say do cave on OC first.

CCR is just a tool for breathing underwater. Get comfortable with the cave skills on OC, especially gas planning, and it will stand you in good stead for adding CCR. Backmount OC, sidemount OC, backmount CCR, sidemount CCR, these are all just tools for different cave dives. In the end it probably doesn't matter what order you do it in, but I believe you should have experience with as many different configurations as possible to be a rounded cave diver, including OC. There are some dives that are just not appropriate for CCR.

Just my opinion. Worth as little as anyone else's.

Andy

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

I agree with the above. OC cave skills are important first, prior to adding CCR to the mix. I was cert'd on a CCR and still did my cave training on OC. I still dive cave only on OC, am yet to do Cave CCR crossover.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

I did my initial cave training on OC even though I was a CCR diver, I didn't have enough experience with CCR to really benefit from CCR cave. A year later I did CCR cave and it was the best diving class I had ever done.
    The OC training will be a great help in planning and managing bailout range and gas supplies. Navigation and actual cave skills are the same regardless of equipment used. Just some strategies are different.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Trimix74 is an unknown quantity at this point Trimix74's Avatar
    Inspiration

I agree with the below comments !
    There is a lot to learn when you start to dive Cavern/Caves, laying line, buddy contact ect ect. Do your courses on OC first, use this time to play around with equipment/configurations and learning your skills, then cross over to CCR cave.
    Enjoy the progression, its not a race !

To be honest if someone was to come up to me and ask if i would buddy up with them on a cave dive and they were on CCR and they never dived a cave on OC, i'd say no !

Crawl before you walk !

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I, too was 3-mix (normoxic) OC when I got into Rebreathers. All my cents after that where CCR! I did my full cave CCR and think that it was the right decision for me, since I would never be in a cave OC! From an economic point of view: why spend the money twice? My advice: decide if you will continue to dive OC cave after your CCR cave. If you don't, go CCR and safe your money.

Inspiration

This is actually interesting.
    Can you start your cavern/cave/Adv cave on CCR ?
    If so, what training agency ?
    I did my training in Oz with the CDAA and i know its all OC.
    CCR cave is classed as a adv cave cert isn't it ???

RBW Member offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro has a spectacular aura about offpro's Avatar
    rEvo, FGT, Boris

Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Trimix74  View Original Post
    This is actually interesting.
    Can you start your cavern/cave/Adv cave on CCR ?
    If so, what training agency ?
    I did my training in Oz with the CDAA and i know its all OC.
    CCR cave is classed as a adv cave cert isn't it ???

I did. IANTD

Inspiration

G'day again
    How long ago did you do it ?

I followed it up today and IANTD cavern course and introdution Cave course both specify only OC.
    Cave course they want 20 dives and 35 hours experience on CCR before being able to commence with the course......
    Last edited by Trimix74; 19th October 2012 at 12:53.

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    The OC training will be a great help in planning and managing bailout range and gas supplies. Navigation and actual cave skills are the same regardless of equipment used. Just some strategies are different.
    Quote 100%.
    Nad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast