+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scootering and back pain

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Re: Scootering and back pain

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneJ  View Original Post
    Tow cord length and positioning is critical. Don't want to be fighting the unit when under tow.
    When I first jump in, I immediately think my tow cord is too long until I stretch out, and it all falls into place.
    I second that. I used to have that back pain whether I dove OC/Classic Kiss or Meg.
    I took me some time to figure out the length of the crotch strap (positionning the Dring) and the length of the tow cord.
    Getting neutral is the other key point as others said.
    Practice, trial and error is your best bet to find the right combination for you.
    Best
    Philippe

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by w ripley  View Original Post
    Assuming you are using a tow rope & crotch strap to transfer the load, you might check that you are keeping your wings inflated enough to lift your body and take the load off your back. You do have to stop every so often and check that you are neutral, or you will put a lot of strain on you and on your scooter, as you will be using it for your buoyancy.

If you find that you are riding with the scooter pulling down or with it pulling you up, then you need to stop and get neutral again. However, a 30 minute continuous ride will put a lot of strain on you no matter how well you're squared away.
    Hi mate, many thans for your ideas, i have to check indeed my buoyancy, because i only use my dy suit to keep me neutral, that seems to be a mistake,

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by jukkao  View Original Post
    Just use it >30 min/day and you will be ok. Find a way to do it so that you can relax and just enjoy. With high power you may need special harness, torgue compensation and light leg trim.

Jukka
    Sorry, not real an option the caves or the way to the cave are to long.

Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Chris  View Original Post
    Get a three point crotch strap from DiveXtras.

I also used to get a really sore back and found it was from bending my back when scootering to stop getting castrated.

I don't Scooter without it
    Dive Xtras - Dive Xtras
    Many Thanks for the link, that looks like a good solution, i will try it.

Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    This has always been a problem for me and I need a stand or a longer can to sit on my ass instead. Regardless whether I am scootering or not.
    Yep a stand is on the way....

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

Markuu have someone video you while,scootering. That way you will see your real position in the water. I started having back pain even without the scooter...

My problemmis the stages., are you using an armadillo harness? I thought about removing it to check out.

Also another point would be that we are getting older and not keeping fit as before. I used to scooter for 1-2 hours, long distances and was ok.

This is another reason i was thinking about a lighter rebreather....

Let me know what changes u did and how it felt

Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw  View Original Post
    Markuu have someone video you while,scootering. That way you will see your real position in the water. I started having back pain even without the scooter...

My problemmis the stages., are you using an armadillo harness? I thought about removing it to check out.

Also another point would be that we are getting older and not keeping fit as before. I used to scooter for 1-2 hours, long distances and was ok.

This is another reason i was thinking about a lighter rebreather....

Let me know what changes u did and how it felt
    HI Mate,

i have installed a stand for the meg, that helped a lot, have tryed a seperate srotch strap, no change with the back pain, at the moment i do while riding a get to used my stomach muscles to stabilized my pelvis and so my back, but this very exhausting, but it work...

I don`t use an armadillo or something like that, and i don`t think that i am getting OLDER, i am getting very interesting.........

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

I do lot and long DPV dives with RB+2 stages (sometimes more) and also in SM OC.
    I can tell you that not only been neutral but TRIMMED on the water is the clue.
    Best
    Mikel
    Have a look here: https://www.dive-xtras.com/pages/media/media.asp
    the video is call: Tow cord is too short.

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel Szopinski  View Original Post
    This has always been a problem for me and I need a stand or a longer can to sit on my ass instead. Regardless whether I am scootering or not.
    Concur.

I am rather tall, and Classic Kiss is short.

The stand (Narked at 90 in my case) makes a real difference for the backpain, with or without scooter.

RBW Member Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis will become famous soon enough Jon Nellis's Avatar

... and if none of the above recommendations help enough, shifting a little extra air into the lower legs of your drysuit will do wonders for your back while scootering. Just remember it is there when it is time to stop.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast