+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jupiter goliath grouper spawning aggregation video

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Jupiter goliath grouper spawning aggregation video

Video from some recent dives off Jupiter while learning my new camera. If you have a chance to dive here, do it soon before the aggregations dissipate. Lots of great marine wildlife action!

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Re: Jupiter goliath grouper spawning aggregation video

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    Video from some recent dives off Jupiter while learning my new camera. If you have a chance to dive here, do it soon before the aggregations dissipate. Lots of great marine wildlife action!

Pretty cool Barney! Those Silversides must drive those Groupers crazy!

What kind of camera are you shooting?

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
    Randy

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    What kind of camera are you shooting?
    Hi Randy-
    I am shooting a Canon 5D MKIII in an Aquatica housing, with twin Inon Z-240s and twin SOLA 1200 lights. On this dive I was using a 17-40 lens with a +3 closeup.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar

Hi Randy-
    I am shooting a Canon 5D MKIII in an Aquatica housing, with twin Inon Z-240s and twin SOLA 1200 lights. On this dive I was using a 17-40 lens with a +3 closeup.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike,

Does the Aguatica accommodate an external view finder or are you looking through the regular view finder when you are shooting video?

I'm also curious about the white balance on it. Are you using an auto white balance or are you manually adjusting it under water, or are you adjusting after the fact during post production?

Sorry for all of the questions. I also recently purchased a MKIII and am trying to figure out which direction to go with the housing.

Regards,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    Mike,

Does the Aguatica accommodate an external view finder or are you looking through the regular view finder when you are shooting video?

I'm also curious about the white balance on it. Are you using an auto white balance or are you manually adjusting it under water, or are you adjusting after the fact during post production?

Sorry for all of the questions. I also recently purchased a MKIII and am trying to figure out which direction to go with the housing.

Regards,
    Randy
    When shooting video, the LCD screen is activated, which is fairly big and helps with tweaking everything. I am just starting to play around with custom white balance for the shallower wrecks; there is one segment at 1:25-1:31 where I used the sand to obtain WB. Not sure I liked the output but I am still playing with this function. The remainder of the video used AWB. For deeper wrecks I think AWB will be adequate.
    I am still stumbling through this as I did not previously own a MKII, so shooting video on SLR is still pretty new to me.
    Cheers,
    Mike

When shooting video, the LCD screen is activated, which is fairly big and helps with tweaking everything. I am just starting to play around with custom white balance for the shallower wrecks; there is one segment at 1:25-1:31 where I used the sand to obtain WB. Not sure I liked the output but I am still playing with this function. The remainder of the video used AWB. For deeper wrecks I think AWB will be adequate.
    I am still stumbling through this as I did not previously own a MKII, so shooting video on SLR is still pretty new to me.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    I've seen some guys shooting pro video on the surface using an external video monitor with the MKIII so I was wondering if the Aquatica offered the capability of plugging a top mounted external monitor like I have on my Gates housing. Seems like that might be easier to use underwater than trying to stare at the back of the housing.

Anyway, nice video. Looks like it is going to be a fun setup!

Regards,
    Randy

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

How many pounds are the largest grouper in this video? Are these fish protected ?

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    How many pounds are the largest grouper in this video? Are these fish protected ?

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Goliath grouper can be 700-800 pounds, but most of these fish are probably 200-300 pounders, with some smaller and some larger in there as well.

The harvest of goliath grouper is currently prohibited in U.S. waters. For more information on the species, including past harvest history and stock status, try this report: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/pdf/Fin...th_Grouper.pdf

Cheers,
    Mike

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

Nice video , I've wanted to see the spawning in person for a few years now, maybe next year......
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Banned zirk is an unknown quantity at this point zirk's Avatar
    rEvo

I was on the Castor off Boynton last weekend and the wreck was covered with grouper. We counted 70. One was actually agressive and followed me all through the dive. When I untied from the wreck the silly thing actually hit the chain. I would recommend doing that dive right now if you want to see grouper. I enjoyed the video. Thanks !