+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help! Stage Rigging came undone, no idea how to re knot

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Help! Stage Rigging came undone, no idea how to re knot

Dear All,

On the last dive, my rigging (pre-made from a company called DTD) came undone at the bottom boltsnap, luckily as I was getting back on the boat.

Now I know my way around bowlines, sheet bends etc etc, but I can for the life of me, figure out to fix this.

Here is what is should look like

Hope someone can help me, and for me not to mess it up! Thanks

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Re: Help! Stage Rigging came undone, no idea how to re knot

Hi,

Here is what you need: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

Basically it's a fisherman's knot: File:Fisherman's knot.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RBW Member techy1967 is an unknown quantity at this point techy1967's Avatar
    revo III

When In Doubt - Bail Out Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E's Avatar
    Poseidon 7 - 60M Tec

not sure about the fishermans knot, i would simply do a square knot and burn it (if it is nylon)

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Wh make my own rigging I prefer to use an "eye splice" by far this is the neatest and most secure way to make loops... the harder you pull the tighter it gets... the rope used on your rigging is very small in diameter so you might have some difficulty doing it.... I generally use 1/3 or thicker rope.. See this link on how to splice it..

Boat Rope -Make an Eye Splice for Mooring or Anchor Line
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Supporting Member cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron is just really nice cameron's Avatar
    KISS Classic

It should be rigged so that the gear clamp between the fishermans knot will hold the running ends of cordage in place even if BOTH sides of the fishermans fails. This it to prevent EXACTLY you failure here.

This is also why you don't use a square knot. If it comes undone then you have a loose end.

Cam
    Reclaim at work and CCR at home, life is good

RBW Member Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje's Avatar
    rEvo III hCCR

I hate to link to a DIR site, but here you go.
    DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

RBW Member thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster is on a distinguished road thetrickster's Avatar
    APD Evolution Vision

Thanks all.

Fisherman's Knot, did the trick. Phew.

Was a bit tricky with the small about of line on one end, but did it in the end. Heated up the ends and bashed them down. I hope that is the end of that. No pun intended.

Cheers all.

Nearly Bubbleless Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz has a reputation beyond repute Steve Schultz's Avatar
    Halcyon RB80

If you don't know knots, tie lots!

Ya, the fisherman exactly like Cam said works very well for me.

+ Reply to Thread