+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first Canadian dives

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

My first Canadian dives

OK, I am back in sunny Florida bracing for the tropical storm that is blowing and ruining this weekends diving. I guess it is time for me to write up and post a report on my tripo to Montreal and the dives I did in the Saint Lawrence River while I was up.

First off, I noticed that the driving up there was even less considerate than in S. Florida. Everyone just crowds there way through traffic and using a turn signal just means that the other cars will speed up to block you. I will say that the drivers are much more considerate of pedestrians than I am used to seeing. The roads and bridges are in worse shape than I amused to dealing with also. Many of the overpasses have large chunks of concrete that have fallen out and the structural rebar is exposed. I was informed that since a few deaths have occurred, they are starting to repair many of these things now.

I arrived with my rebreather as carry-on without any issues from security or the airlines. When i got to Isaberlle's house and began my assembly, I discovered that I was missing one of the sorb scrims. Isabelle saved the day be suggesdting that I use a paper towel. I was not sure how well this would work, but it survived the entire time I was up there without any adverse signs.

Next thing is to verify everything and check the cell calibration. Crap, my HUD and secondary Predator are not reading cell #1. I decided that I would dive it like this anyway since I was doing a shallow recreational dive and did not need redundancy for deco. My primary Predator was reading just fine.

My girlfriend and her dive buddies are definitely much more hardcore divers than the wimps (myself included) that I dive with at home. I am used to a 5 minute drive to get to the dive boat, but up there it is a 2- 1/2 hour drive. That is 5 hours of driving just to dive.

We drove over to Brookville to do our first dive. It was a shore dive so that I could get prepared for my new environment and for Isabelle to see if I would even do any more dives in their river. I was very light and had a difficult time staying at 3' of depth as we started our swim out to the wreck. It was about a 20 minutes swim and we are not allowed to surface due to the overhead boat and the close proximity to the shipping channel. It was an old oden wreck named the Gaskin. this was my first wooden wreck and i was quite fascinated by it. It was very interesting to me to be able to see how it was assembled using huge timbers and giant metal rods that where flared on the ends to form a type of rivit. Our max depth was 68ft, the temp was a steady 74*, and the vis was a whooping 15'. Needless to say, I endured a lot of teasing because of my thick undergarments. After the dive it was time for lunch. I had the opportunity to get to know some of my girlfriends friends a bit better than just what she had written about them.

After the long drive to get back, it was time to get things torn apart to dry and go get tanks filled. I am spoiled with this also. I fill my own tanks in my garage and have started to take it for granted. Now we are having to drive for another 30 minutes to get fills. At least when we got to the dive shop I saw a familiar face. It was Chanteille and I had previously meet her in cave country. Upon returning with our tanks, it was time for me to sort out my cell problem. It turned out to be a simple broken solder joint on one of the splitters where it connects to the molex connector. Isabelle had a soldering gun and it was a quick repair. A fresh calibration and i was all set to dive again.

Four days later, we were once again driving to Brookville to go diving. This time we were to go via a charter boat. The Charter was Abacus Diving and the boat was name the Helen C. Captain Vincent was very friendly and knowledgable of the local wrecks and conditions. He will run with only 2 divers. Isabelle and myself had the entire pontoon boat to ourselves. Isabelle got caught in the rain on her last trip to the dock, but that was the only weather problem we had for my entire trip. We headed out to dive the Daryaw. It is a freighter that ran onto the shoal and when it sank went upsidedown. We did 2 dives of an hour each with a one hour surface interval. They have mooring bouys and guide ropes around the wreck. It is upside down and a bit confusing to navigate when penetrating. After the first dive on it , Isabelle told me that I have seen more of it than she has. We corrected that on the second dive and she got to see the engine room. I still found a area that she would not follow me into. My drysuit was rust colored after this dive, but it was awesome. Max depth was 89', temp was 75*, vis was 15'

Long drive back again and another trip to fill tanks.

A couple of days later and we are heading to the river again. this time we drive to Brookville the night before and get a motel room. The boat is a bit further from here and it leaves early so we do not want to get up a 4:00. It turns out that to dive this wreck we must first cross the river and clear US Customs. This seems really funny to me since the wreck is so close to the Canadian shore. Anyway, I am the only American on the boat and quess who has problems with customs. Yep, it was me. It seems that the charter operators had given them my name incorrectly and it did not match my passport. A 15 minute delay and we were off again. We were headed to dive the Keystorm. this dive was setup by a local dive club and I just so happen to know the girl that organized it. I meet her (Julie) in cave country also. She had made all the arrangements with Martin Charters in Mallorytown, well in advance of my trip. The boat was named Big Blue and is usually docked in Brookville next to the Helen C, but he ran upstream for this trip. We finall got out to the Keystorm and did our dive. Isabelle and myself opted for one longish dive rather than a double dip that the OC people were doing. There was another Rebreather diver onboard this trip. The Keystorm lay on it side in about 115' of water. We managed to see all 3 bathtubs and I saw something that makes me think it might be the upper rim of another one??? towards the end of the dive while in the wheel house, I got disoriented and thought I was head down when I was actuall horizontal. I kept fighting my trim until I noticed which way my bubbles was going. Damned wheelhouse was laying on its side too. The engine room can be accessed by a couple of different routes. I ran a line sine it was all new to me and looked like it could get real dirty real quick. Isabelle did not folllow me very far this time and I ended up with line ran all over the place. Exiting was a bit of a challenge, but still fun. Max depth was 113', temp was 74-75*, vis was 15' except after I left the engine room (4-5').

Another long drive to get back.

Isabelle loaned me her brand new tanks for these dives. I definitely broke them in for her. They are all scratched up and scuffed.

All in all, I had a great time diving these wrecks and plan to do it again in the future. I am hoping to dive the Jodrey and the Emprise of Ireland next time I am up there. I am not quite ready to visit and dive during the winter, but the temps for this trip were perfectly acceptable to me.

Her new tanks :-(

US Customs building

Warship and Freighter next to us in the river

We Americans are taking our wetsuits off all wrong.
    Jean Francois demonstrates the Canadian method.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Re: My first Canadian dives

nice story...except its brockville

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Wow, amazing, you have a girlfriend.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Obviously my spelling sucks. I spelled my girlfriends name wrong once in the story too. I might be single again :-(
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    Brockville.....notice it starts with a capital letter. Might even be "it's" not "its".

But I am a Engineer and known for crappy spelling.

"If you live in a glass house beware not to throw stones."

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 28th August 2012 at 20:22.

RBW Member FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC is just really nice FrancoC's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    AND he had to mention it about 6x so that we all understood that he had one.
    Other than that....nice little write up!

Franco

RBW Member Chantelle is an unknown quantity at this point Chantelle's Avatar
    Glad you had a great time! :)

Sent from my Intergalactic iPhone

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Obviously my spelling sucks. I spelled my girlfriends name wrong once in the story too. I might be single again :-(
    Also you just admitted to having girlfriends, plural, which might cause you to lose one or more.

Asia's rEvo Gal :) Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline has a spectacular aura about Jacqueline's Avatar
    rEvo X MFT mCCR

rEvo MFT/rMS, Micro II mCCR,

Don is a good writer..

RBW Member bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer is a jewel in the rough bowzer's Avatar
    rEvo

Don: Welcome to the great white north.. I am surprised about the viz you got. I have a number of dives on the Keystrum/Keystorm and the viz is generally in the 70-100 foot range. In fact most of the river proper has good viz, but some of the bays/harbors don't. Glad you liked the wooden wreck - no teredo works so they tend to last a while in fresh water. Next time try the A. E. Vickory - located in US waters between Clayton and Alexandria Bay.

Another interesting one to try is the America/American a drill barge that had 1200 lbs of dynamite go off under it, flipping it upside down. I's legs keep the deck a few feet off the bottom (some oil in the sand so don't touch the bottom) and extend toward the surface like a giant insect on it's back.

Also missing from the river proper, but not necessarly the bays is a thermocline. Very little drop in temp from top to bottom. In July there was a sharp 10 degree thermoclice at 40 feet in Clayton bay.

How did you like the zebra muscles?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast